Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

PSM Off and ABS warning lights

NotoriousREV

Trainee
After 15 mins driving both of these lights are coming on. I'm not getting an engine check light and they clear when the car is restarted. Is there a way to diagnose this without a scanner? Do any of the eBay OBD scanners work on 996s (mine's a 1999 C4) or do I need a Porsche specific one to read everything?

Porsche specific. Although there are some basic checks you can do yourself like checking brake and clutch pedal switches. First though I'd be a bit more specific on what/when/why they're coming on. Eg. Are you in motion when it happens or can you make it do it when stoppd, etc.

I haven't tried it any other way but they come in whilst in motion after driving for about 15 minutes. It's happened on the last 3 times I've taken it out.

Are you cornering at the time, driving spirited, braking, changing gear , etc?

Pass.

I had the exact same symptoms. Turned out my ABS pump was toast :roll:

Maybe ABS wheel speed sensor? OBD will tell you.

deMort will probably know.

I'm afraid you need a tester to read out fault codes or watch actual values of the speed sensors whilst driving to locate the fault .

It's going to be heat related hence after 15 mins of driving and i suspect a wheel speed sensor is under reading at that point but without checking codes / values then there is no easy way to determine the fault .

Pre fault code days and we had to scope each sensor and test every relay , wiring connections etc to find a fault .. huge amount of time taken doing it this way .

I will say that the driveshaft rotors on 996 are corroding badly these days .. a judder on the pedal at low speed will indicate this as the abs has kicked in at approx 10 mph due to the sensor seeing almost joined up segments due to the rust .

Not your fault but something for others to consider .

Cheers deMort, I'll book it into my usual indy to get it read. My indicator switch has broken today, too. This could be a pricey week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back