Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Wanted X-Pipe/Bypass for 997.2

M5sime

Hi - I am looking for a centre muffler bypass pipe for a 997.2 C2S.. Ideally the Fabspeed X-Pipe, but others considered.

Thank you ... I had looked at both designs and have not heard either in person. The connected X pipe seemed to be more akin to the OEM design vs the cross over version.

Fab speed vs Sharkwerks effectively as the originators I understand..

Is there consensus on the differences?

Definite improvement with H&S, but only above 3500rpm. I waited a couple of years and then got the banana gundo as well.

Centre bypass gives most gain with PSE, so I hear.

Soundproofing material over rear arches would reduce tyre noise in the cabin.

With hindsight I would maybe have explored a full new system, but didn't want anything too OTT. Current sound is OEM+. Sounds better outside the car than inside.

Get yourself to a local meet and get listening :thumb:

James M-S said:
Definite improvement with H&S, but only above 3500rpm. I waited a couple of years and then got the banana gundo as well.

Centre bypass gives most gain with PSE, so I hear.

Soundproofing material over rear arches would reduce tyre noise in the cabin.

With hindsight I would maybe have explored a full new system, but didn't want anything too OTT. Current sound is OEM+. Sounds better outside the car than inside.

Get yourself to a local meet and get listening :thumb:

Cheers ! I have PSE on a 997.2 and do believe those behind me get the best sound 😊.. I'm looking for a little more burble and the odd pop on liftoff.. the bypass is all I would do..

I have Sharkwerks and PSE and it's a good combo. I preferred the idea of the cross as the X pipe can adversely affect output.

Magic919 said:
I have Sharkwerks and PSE and it's a good combo. I preferred the idea of the cross as the X pipe can adversely affect output.

Hey Magic919 - where abouts are you? Profile says Berkshire.. I'm not that far away in Bucks (near Maidenhead).. would love to hear yours sometime.

When you say affect the output - do you mean noise? Gas flow?

Best, Simon

The sound would differ a touch, but I meant power. Have a read of the Sharkwerks site and you'll see what they said when they tested.

I'm not far from there usually. Currently in Italy but normally close to J5 M4. We could work something out.

I had PSE + Sharkwerks on my 997.2 - Great combination. Not stupid loud, just nice.

However if you're interested I had a custom made Inconel X-Pipe done by Brooke Race Exhausts that was on my 997.2 for a few months before I sold it.

VERY loud system.

I need to put it up for sale still.

Adding the 3rd muffler delete won't give you a sound anything like a 991 GTS on overrun. There are only 2 ways to get that.
1. ECU remap
2. On lift offs you put a little input to the accelerator to do it artificially.
I've got the Tubi system which has a cross over pipe as part of its set up, and the only way to get burbles is using method 2, but it's subtle at best. No pops though.

All our cars come with the same ECU map, so it won't vary from one car to the other.

At best it will release a bit of exhaust noise.

Just giving you my summation from all the info I've seen on the topic.

PSE + Sharkwerks give you natural burbles. It sounds great and more natural, not like the fake crap on every modern sports car.

Also You won't get pops and bangs unless you remap it.

991 S/GTS crackles are a bit fake anyway. And in my opinion don't suit the 911.

A 991 GT3 even with an exhaust on doesn't pop and bang.

mjcs91 said:
I had PSE + Sharkwerks on my 997.2 - Great combination. Not stupid loud, just nice.

However if you're interested I had a custom made Inconel X-Pipe done by Brooke Race Exhausts that was on my 997.2 for a few months before I sold it.

VERY loud system.

Thank you! Sounds too lively for me.. I am after a notch-up on the PSE..

Thanks all for the feedback.. I will have a think and in the mean-time if anyone is selling off their X-pipe to go back to stock - welcome it

M5sime said:
mjcs91 said:

VERY loud system.

Thank you! Sounds too lively for me.. I am after a notch-up on the PSE..

I'd definitely go for SharkWerks then (or a similar by-pass pipe).

To be honest the SharkWerks system is very simple, a decent welder / exhaust shop could probably make something similar if cost was a deciding factor.

I ended up putting the SharkWerks back onto my 997.2 because my other system was too loud for track days.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back