Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
992 : 2019- 0
991 : 2011- 22
997 : 2004- 65
996 : 1997-2005 33
993 : 1993-1998 5
964 : 1989-1993 2
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 3
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 2
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 1
Early 911 : 1964-1977 1
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 30
Cayman : 2005- 22
Cayenne : 2003- 6
Macan : 2014- 8
Panamera : 2009- 0
912-914-924-928-944-968 1
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 0
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [992] 2018-Current
Porsche 911 [992]
911 [991] 2011-2019
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-2012
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

Marky911
Magny-Cours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Max. Thumb
C’mon then I’m intrigued now as to how you get to test the theory?
Do you mean the Helsinki traffic and weather or something else entirely? Very Happy

Hi Henry, good to hear from you as always. Thumb
I covered it at the start but those rear pads worked a treat thanks. Wish I’d done it sooner but it was done in time for when it really mattered.
Yep you need to get yourself out there with Zanzibar. It will sound epic through those valleys and tunnels. Make it your reward when you get your latest house build finished. Very Happy

Hi Szymon, thanks. Thumb
That “bed” is my massively oversized Douchebag luggage with some old sofa cushions to make things more bearable on the longer journeys. Grin

Marky911
Magny-Cours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saturday 17th August -
Day out from San Marino to Tavullia and Coriano (Valentino Rossi and Marco Simoncelli’s home towns).

I’d been looking forward to this day since before I even planned this trip. I’ve known for years that I’d visit these two places at some point.

Not too fast though, I’ll just cover the morning first, as the above was in the afternoon.

So we woke up in San Marino after a good nights sleep that we definitely needed after the day before. Very Happy

We were staying here -

http://www.hotelrosasanmarino.com/

A basic 3 star place but it’s being renovated and the place is sparkling clean with friendly staff.
There are only 1000 beds in total up in the old town and this is maybe the only hotel with parking within the city walls.
We had a balcony room and brekfast is included. Great value for money and keeping with the theme of San Marino, amazing views.

View from our balcony -

So we had breakfast then went and explored the old town. It dates back to 301AD and is famous for its towers. There are paths linking them all.

This is looking south east from one of the towers, then east across toward the sea and Rimini -

We wandered about until noon then popped into the restaurant we wanted to eat at that night, to book a table. La Terrassa (The Terrace obviously).
I wanted to book here as it’s on the very edge of the town so you get to see the amazing sunset. This was important as we’d missed the night befores.
We were too late for a window table but would only be one row back. That’ll do.

With that we went back to the hotel and hopped in the cars.
First stop was a car wash. An unmanned one with the usual lance and brush things. Much as I never go near them at home I had to use the brush attachment to stand any chance of getting things clean. It got the thick off anyway.
Next stop Tavullia! Very Happy

If you don’t follow Moto GP the following will no doubt mean very little, so sorry to bore you. Wink
I’ve been a biker most of my life since my dad brought my first little field bike home when I was 7. He always had a garage full of bikes when I was a kid.
I haven’t had a bike for 6 or 7 years now but definitely will again when time allows. I’ll need one for my retirement motorhome so I don’t want to get too rusty. Wink

Coming back to Moto Gp then, Valentino Rossi is a legend. He gets a bit of stick these days for bringing moronic fans to the sport but he can’t help who follows him.
Either way he’s brought a lot of interest to the sport and I’ve followed him his whole career. He’s fading slightly now, but he’s in his 40’s.
His home town is Tavullia which is only half an hour from San Marino so we had to visit.
He has a restaurant there amongst other things.

I’d seen his place in so many pictures and on bits of coverage on Moto GP programs. It was great to actually pull up outside.

Again, a sorry state of affairs regarding pictures. I don’t even have any of the main restaurant area. Rolling Eyes
Basically there is a restaurant, an ice cream bar, the VR46 store selling anything and everything with VR46 emblazoned on it and then upstairs there’s the Rossi fan club office where you can be relieved of 40€ to join. Grin

Here are a few pics I did take.

Pictures drawn by the local school kids -

So what did I think?
Good but slightly disappointed to be honest. The food was lovely and the waiters were friendly, but there was actually very little to do with Rossi.
No bikes on show or anything.
In the ice cream shop there were a few sets of leathers and a couple of helmets but that’s it really.
Still glad I went mind and I’d recommend it to any Rossi fan if you’re in the area, as like I say it’s nice food and if you need lunch anyway, then why not go there.
It’s also in a beautiful part of the world. Rolling hills with vineyards and farms dotted around.
Tavullia itself is nice and as you enter you pass the huge VR46 headquarters on the main road. There are Rossi flags on every lamppost and even the farmer we passed in his tractor had a Rossi vest on. Grin
Even my wife said “It must be great to have your home town be so proud of you!”.

Anyway lunch finished and ice cream eaten. Next stop Coriano.
This was a more subdued affair as for anyone not into Moto Gp, this was Marco Simoncelli’s home town.
Marco died in a horrible accident during the Sepang Moto Gp race in 2011.
His bike had slid out wide and as always he’d tried to keep it up and recover it, it then gripped and him and the bike slid back in across the track into the path of Colin Edwards and Valentino Rossi.
His helmet came off during the crash and he succumbed to his injuries.
I had got up early to watch it as it was 7am our time and couldn’t believe what I’d just seen. Sad
Marco was a promising rider now in the premier class and was quickly making a name for himself as someone who wasn’t afraid of a scrap regardless of who they were. A real funny lad off the bike too.
Ironically him and Rossi were good mates too as Tavullia is only 13 miles across the hills to Coriano so they used to train together.
A really sad episode in Moto GP history.

Enough of that though. I was here to visit his home town and to pay my respects. There’s a museum set up in his honour in his home town and over the road is the Church of Santa Maria where his memorial is.

En route to Coriano from Tavullia. As I’ve said a gorgeous area with rolling hills out to the sea in the distance.

You even get a view from the car park -

Memorial at the Santa Maria Church. -

The museum as viewed from the church steps over the road -

A few from inside the museum -

The mini-moto’s he started out on as a kid -

His 250cc world championship winning bike that he won the title with in 2008 -

There’s a room set up exactly like his old Moto Gp pit garage -

After viewing everything in the museum I went outside to find the other monument dedicated to him.
It’s in a field you access by going down some stairs and through a little shopping precinct at the back of the museum.

It’s styled like a bike exhaust and at sunset every race day it ignites and a flame burns for 58 seconds (Marcos number).

Very sad then, but I’m very glad I’ve been.
With that we headed back up to San Marino to chill out then head out to La Terrasse.

Luckily it had been a clear sunny day so the sunset we watched during our meal didn’t disappoint.

After the meal we wandered to another bar and there were a load of locals doing karaoke. They take it seriously over there mind. Grin
Some of them were brilliant though. We enjoyed a few drinks whilst watching that and then headed back to the hotel for the night.
Another great day. Cool

MaxA
Albert Park

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marky911 wrote:

Thanks Max. Thumb
C’mon then I’m intrigued now as to how you get to test the theory?
Do you mean the Helsinki traffic and weather or something else entirely? Very Happy

Well, Helsinki can be pretty awful, as we have only two seasons in the city: winter and construction. Driving any sports car in the city with it's cobbled streets, tram lines, pot holes, steel plates and road works can be a bit exasperating.

What I actually meant was that we have a lot of gravel roads: I live at the end of one, my brother lives at the end of a longer one, there's even a race track with a 5km gravel approach road (the track at Pesamäki, what were they thinking?), the summer cottage is at the end of another one (which is really tricky in the 997), and we even have a well known rally with special stages on gravel.

So I get to drive on gravel every day. At least until the winter, when I get to drive on snow- and ice-covered gravel roads, which are actually easier as the surface isn't so loose.

I will admit that it has probably cost me at least one radiator and a fan assembly but that could just as well have been a lost stud or two from a winter tyre. The 997 has a flat floor which helps, my other car runs a 7mm aluminium skid plate to protect the sump and the low hanging power steering pump and fan housing.

Sorry about the digression.

T8
General
General

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the Simoncelli crash vividly. So sad. nooo

That memorial/shrine to him is superb. Thanks for posting. Thumb
ex 1978 Silver 924 Manual

Slippydiff
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truly heart wrenching seeing the the Marco Simoncelli stuff. To think what may have been Sad

As for the 40 Euro paintwork marring session Grin
There's only one way to address the Euro tour/hoon cleaning issues ...

Leave them until you get home !!
Here's what 12 days of hard hooning around Belgium, France, Germany, Italy, Austria and finally Andorra does to a CSL Grin

The accumulated mud,flies and road dirt should be worn as a badge of honour Mark Mr. Green

At home the day the car was delivered :

And the following evening before catching the Shuttle :

Nothing like a euro hoon/tour to bond with a car 36 hours after you've bought it

Grin

Marky911
Magny-Cours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaxA wrote:

Sorry about the digression.

Not at all, I asked. Thumb
I understand what you mean now. Sounds like a bit of a mine field! Grin

Hi Terry and Henry, yep very sad but a nice tribute to him. Cool
It was great to see his dads team in moto3 come first last week and at their home circuit of Misano, which was renamed after Marco after his death.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.crash.net/motogp/race-report/929219/1/moto3-misano-suzuki-takes-emotional-win-crash-filled-race%3famp

Henry that CSL looks/looked ace! Cool
I agree totally. Never touch a dirty car until you get home. We still had two weeks left of the trip though and every time we went near the car we were getting filthy. Plus I bet someone would have written something in the dirt by the end of the holiday. Grin

Anyway I’ve hope you’ve had a good summer piling some miles on Zanzibar. Thumb

infrasilver
Fast & Furious
Fast & Furious

2001 Porsche 996 Targa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont know Question Cop

Marky911
Magny-Cours

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, hi Chris.

Yes I need to get it finished. I’ve had the next part half-written on my phone for a while.
I’m suffering from some sort of virus so I’m doing absolutely nothing this weekend. I’m gonna try and get it done so I can get back onto the actual car.

I trust your trip went well? Did you do the Umbrail? Lovely little road. Thumb

infrasilver
Fast & Furious
Fast & Furious

2001 Porsche 996 Targa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marky911 wrote:
Ha, hi Chris.

Yes I need to get it finished. I’ve had the next part half-written on my phone for a while.
I’m suffering from some sort of virus so I’m doing absolutely nothing this weekend. I’m gonna try and get it done so I can get back onto the actual car.

I trust your trip went well? Did you do the Umbrail? Lovely little road. Thumb

No worries, Grin just thought you had forgot and needed a bump.

Yes, I did the Umbrail, I'd forgotten how steep it gets towards the top and I also remembered where the tarmac was missing, it's from bridge to bridge originally, glad they have now finished the black top.

Last edited by infrasilver on Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

Marky911
Magny-Cours

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff. Thumb

I went down it so didn’t notice the steepness, especially coming straight from the Stelvio. Grin

Marky911
Magny-Cours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Righto, I’m gonna try and get this completed over the next week or so, as it feels like a distant memory already.
I’ve loads on at home and work, but as the saying goes, “I’ve started, so I’ll finish” and it always conjures up some great memories when I do have time to think back to it.

This update doesn’t really flow and I’ve struggled to write it actually but I’ll get it done.

So...

Sunday 18th August (and the next 5 days) -
San Marino to Torri del Benaco at Lake Garda.

I’ll whizz through the next 5 days as although we used the cars everyday to explore Garda and get about, we didn’t do any meaningful drives. Wink

So it was time to leave San Marino.
We’ll definitely be back. Not loads to do up there so 2 nights is the most we’d need to stay again (even 1, if we got there early enough). It’s worth a visit just for those views though.
So after all the moving about we now had 5 nights booked at Lake Garda, to chill out.

San Marino was the furthest stop on our trip, so it was technically the journey home now although we still had a fair bit left to do. Wink

Leaving San Marino -
Excellent covered parking at the hotel Rosa.

Not much to report on for the day we travelled. What should have been a 3-4 hour motorway stint ended up being nearer 6, due to unreal traffic on the motorway and accident after accident.
When the traffic did clear it was like the wacky races, with everyone going flat out and motorbikes undertaking everyone using the hard shoulder. Bonkers!

We found our Air BnB no problem thanks to great info from the owner.

The place itself was just a small self contained apartment beside the owners house. Immaculate though with everything we needed including an amazing pool for guests. Set up immaculately for us every morning.

The views are out of this world.
You can see Torri del Benaco, the nearest town, down to the left.

Bit of a ramp to get in and out mind.

So as I’ve said we spent the week chilling out. We’d laze by the pool in the mornings, before heading out for an explore and some food in the afternoon and again in the evenings.

The only minor downside to our accommodation was that you don’t get views like that without climbing and the roads up to it were mega steep, hence we used the car to get down to the local town at night which meant no drinking. We could have got a taxi, but I wasn’t too bothered anyway.

Graham and his wife were in a 5 star place over the hills but we had even better views than there, so they’d come over to ours sometimes and the women would have a few Hugo’s while the sun set.

Garda itself was lovely. We explored every lakeside town during the course of the week.
To be honest mind, if you’ve seen one you’ve seen them all. Restaurants at the lakeside, then the next streets back are full of ice cream shops and clothes shops.
Good food though and the prices were a welcome surprise after Nice and Portofino, which I didn’t expect. I thought they’d be much of a muchness.

I’ll post a few pics from the various towns and that’ll do.

Garda -

Riva -

Final night at Sirmione. Steak and a cracking sunset. -

We scrapped doing a couple of things we had planned while here. One was a trip to Venice. I wasn’t bothered and surprisingly my wife wasn’t either. It was red hot and it would be chocka block with people etc.

The other activity we gave up on was the revolving cable car upto Mont Baldo from Malcesine.
We went along and parking was a nightmare, then when we got to the cable car station the point at which we joined the queue had a sign saying “2 hours wait from this point”.
No way!
Again, we’d been spoilt with views all holiday anyway so would it be that wow after what we’d seen already?

I took a mountain bike out one morning but struggled to get a better view than from our pool. Wink -

So that was Garda. Great place to chill out and recharge. We’ll definitely be back and probably at that same apartment.

My wife took a couple of final shots against the bougainvillea -

Back to the driving next time. Thumb

HSC911
Long Beach

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised WOW!

Thumb

Marky911
Magny-Cours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers mate. Wish I was back there I tell you.

Y2K
Montreal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That view by the pool is quite something Cool

pzero
General
General

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some great shots around Garda OP.
In years past I also gave up on the Monte Baldo thing, arriving to find myself at the back of a very long queue, and yes parking was not good.
Perfect solution - last year I stayed in Malcesini, which meant a ten minute stroll to the cable car not much after 8am, no queues.
Spent a couple of hours up the top, by the time we ascended the queues were already off putting.
Some very familiar looking sights in your pics, which does bring back fond memories. Thumb
Riva del Garda at the top of the lake is very easy on the eye.

Great trip OP thumbsup

infrasilver
Fast & Furious
Fast & Furious

2001 Porsche 996 Targa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks lovely at Garda, I've only been once before and only for a short stop.

Marky911
Magny-Cours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Yk, yep it’s definitely the best view from any pool I’ve been at before. We’d definitely go back.

Hi Pzero, yes you summed it up there. The best way to do any tourist attraction or pass etc, is to wake up near it on the day you’re doing it. Like I say, I wasn’t bothered about going to Venice but I’d have liked to do that Malcesine cable car. I’m sure we’ll go back in the future.
Riva is lovely yes. So is Sirmione at the opposite end of the lake. In fact there’s not a bad place there. They’re all very similar though so you get a bit complacent. Wink

Hi Chris. Garda is a lovely area. So is Como, but we did Como last time so it was Garda this time. It’s all great down there.
I now find myself constantly thinking about how soon we can get back out there. I just want to hit the road for a very long time.
That’s the retirement plan now, but I don’t just want to be waiting for that. That might never come eh. Wink

Anyway thanks for the comments lads.
Almost done now, then I’ve a little bit to update on the car itself on the main thread.

I can’t believe how long ago it seems already. I don’t know if it’s due to how much we crammed in or if my memory is failing, but it’s slightly worrying how much I’m struggling to remember already. Grin Especially regarding the routes we took etc.
I can picture certain stop off points but when I look at my routes on a map now I can’t remember what the towns looked like as we drove through. That’s especially true for the next day I’m about to cover. Places like Davos, Chur, Andermatt. They’re gone from my memory.
Thankfully our modern day gadgets and phones say where our pictures were taken so at least that’s something. Grin

Any of you road-trippers suffer from that then?

One last thing. I’m always going on about MrJWW on YouTube, but he’s absolutely living the dream and doing what most petrol heads would love to.
This week he’s on the Targa Florio rally in Sicily. He’s in the Tributo group which is the supercar support group for the classic stuff.

Yesterdays video captures the essence of road trips perfectly. Honestly, make a cuppa and have a watch.

https://youtu.be/eV62ii-T8hI

Thumb

Marky911
Magny-Cours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friday 23rd August - Lake Garda to Interlaken, Switzerland via -

Stelvio pass
Umbrail pass
Fluela Pass
Sustenpass
...plus some others.

Every road seems to be a pass of some name or another so I’m sure we must have done a couple more famous ones without even realising. Wink

So this would be the last real driving day and I had high hopes for it. It didn’t disappoint and it included what would be my favourite driving road of the holiday, the Sustenpass.
A long day though as we had to cover about 350 miles.

So we left a drizzly Lake Garda and met up with Graham at 8am.

Paintwork still beading despite its Brillo pad-esque Nice clean up job. Wink

Quick top up on Torri del Benaco main street. Weather drying up and the sun trying to get out.

Nothing to report for the morning. It was a 3 hour main road stint to Stelvio and that also meant hitting it at 11.30am. Otherwise known as Traffic-o’clock.
In hindsight we should have left Garda on the Thursday and stopped in a hotel near to the bottom of Stelvio to wake up Friday and do it first thing, however I wanted as long as possible at Garda as that was the relaxing part of the holiday after living out of suitcases up until that point.
There’s always sacrifices.

Anyway by the time we got to the bottom of the pass the weather had picked up nicely -

There’s a weird house covered in bones and things that kind of signals the start of the Stelvio, although it’s much higher before you get to the views and the hairpins.
Quite bizarre this place, with a very eccentric guy who lives there. He’s friendly enough mind, but bonkers.

River runs right past. We were heading somewhere up into those hills. -

In the words of Mr JWW “Let’s hit it” Very Happy -

At the top -

Van man wasn’t going to move then -

Nicely spec’d 991.2 GT3 sitting there -

As Chris “infrasilver” reported on his thread, they do a mean sausage sandwich -

So what did we think?
Pretty much what we expected really. Very busy and very touristy.
A great pass in terms of big scenery and a must-do for any petrolhead if you’re in the area.
Definitely not the best driving road though.
Very busy, so we were sat in a queue of about 5 cars going up. We even caught a bus at one point until it turned off before the summit.
Too many cyclists spoiling it but fair play to them for climbing that, as it is relentless.

It’s steep and very tight. The car was full of luggage and two people so it felt pretty flat going up the steepest parts, compared to usual. Also the hairpins were almost too tight for 2nd gear but you’d have to be a brutal beggar to keep bashing it down into 1st for every one. So like I say I used second and just went steady.

I’d do it again if I was in the area but I feel I can happily wait ten years or so to do it. I’ve ticked it off the list so that’ll do for now.
The Red Rock road on the other hand, I would go back to do next week if I could. Very Happy

So after lunch we hit the road again heading down the gentler side of the Stelvio.
When you get a little way down you turn right onto the Umbrail pass.

This is a great little road. You’re still almost as high up as the Stelvio, yet the drop offs at the side of the road are less, so it doesn’t feel as lethal. Wink

Further along -

After the Umbrail we turned left and did the Fuorn Pass/Ofenpass up to Zernez.
I didn’t take any pictures as we were simply enjoying the driving and the roads.
Lovely road cutting through the mountain tops.

Then it was onto the Fluela Pass to Davos.

We stopped here. A place called Toiletten by the looks of it. I think it means “On the lake”.

Just kidding obviously, it was Davos. Very Happy
Nice place to chill for half an hour.
We had the most expensive cuppa and cake we’ve ever eaten. Always ask the price first when in Switzerland. frustrated
It was almost teatime by now. It’s amazing how much time you spend pulling in for pics, loo stops, etc.

So we got on the road for the final stint.
We went around to Chur then along to Andermatt on the Oberalp Pass. We then picked up the final proper road of the day at Wassen, the Sustenpass.

The Susten makes up a triangle with the Furka and Grimsel passes but we only had time to take in the Susten before dropping down to Interlaken, so we have some unfinished business there. Very Happy

Again there aren’t many pics due to just enjoying it.

Climbing the Susten -

On the top -

What a road!
The descent down the other side and on towards Innertkirchen was absolutely fantastic. Fast and flowing but with plenty of tighter bits too.
It’s a cliche but it is literally what these cars are made for!
A screaming normally aspirated engine firing you out of each bend. Loads of feedback from the chassis and tyres and a great manual gearshift. Absolute driving nirvana.
There is no other car within my budget that I’d have rather been in. Period. And not many cars not in my budget that I’d have rather been in.
GT3s rock! Cool

Anyway after all that excitement we cruised down into Interlaken by about 8pm, where we’d be staying for the next 3 nights.
Yet again the cars had served us well and some great memories had been made.
12 hours on the road but an epic days driving.

Cheers. Thumb

mr pg
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Susten is one of my favourites. However, if you back make sure you include the Nufenen, as it's a great drive (not so scenic), and is by far the quietest. I prefer it east to west.

infrasilver
Fast & Furious
Fast & Furious

2001 Porsche 996 Targa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the same at Davos when heading up to the Umbrail for the first time in 2011, we stopped for lunch there but couldn't find anywhere open so just carried on, we couldn't find the way to the bottom of the Stelvio and asked at a Shell station, they told us to go up the Umbrail Pass and that is how I found it. I think we even sat at that same piece of grass at Davos you have in the photo?

I think Stelvio is better done going down as 2nd gear is either not enough power or stick it into 1st and torture the engine. I had even more trouble in the 944 than I would have in the 996 as the power is all up the rev range and coming out of hairpins didn't get me going enough but in first it just sounded like the pistons were going to pop out the block.
We ddi it this time mid afternoon and it was deserted, I only came across a couple of vehicles on the way down and they were quickly dispatched.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: