Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Weird parts prices...

Robertb

Just a random musing, while I consider two parts I need for my 996 4S.

How can a bloomin' light switch cost the same as two RS spec engine mounts and fastenings??
:pc:

It does seem utterly bonkers sometimes. Some parts seem crazy expensive and others more than reasonable.
I replaced the under bonnet plastics on my 996 as the tangs and edges were tatty and broken.

The left hand cover and the battery cover were about £20 each but the right cover( with the window for the vin) was nearly £40!
I questioned this with the OPC and even phoned 3 others only to find the price was the same on all of their systems.

Every parts person expressed amazement at the variance and was at a loss to give any reason as to why they should be so different in price.

Trust me when i say im often shocked at the price Porsche charges for items ..

Over the years .. and my theory .. the more Porsche start to sell a particular item then the more they raise the price of it .. i've seen this many many times .

924 inlet pipe assembly i ordered last week .. i figured £150 ish .. it was £30 , they had 3 in stock in the UK .. it was made in 2014 when i saw the date stamp .. they just don't sell them hence they are cheap.

Some parts have to be remade as they run out of stock .. i can understand these being more expensive .. Porsche has basically had to pay out to have another several hundred items made that will sit on a shelf for many years to come .

My guess anyways .

Porsche use a variety of pricing mechanisms...

My GT3 gearbox was modified by Manthey - my 3d gear is off a 993 GT2 - original invoice cost - about £800... Now that the 993 GT2 costs north of £1m, the price miraculously has jumped up to £2400 odd...

The 928 GT pinion and crown wheel went from £900 to £2500 recently, yet the stronger and rarer 928 GTS pinion and crown wheel are sitting at £800 odd.

My favourite - the 944 LSD uses friction discs straight off the 917! Yes, they do carry a part number along the lines of 917.XXX - cost -£17 each...

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back