Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Kaege Retro 993- opinions, think I like this !

Hot rods?

What are these cars or art? Are they fashion accessories ? They are priced as rare art and I suspect aimed at people who don't have to ask the price! But underneath it all they are effectively hot rods? Built off of a car at best 20 years old. The creators Passing themselves off as automotive designers and engineers. I dare say without the visual appeal of an old 911 silhouette , nobody would be interested in the cosworth engine and ohlins etc, but have any of them been near a wind tunnel and all the other things that real car designers and makers employ to create cars that work. I'd like to see the divided cost broken down for the improved aspects of the car. There are many capable hands in the world who could create the visual effects on a per hour basis and not get anywhere near these bonkers figures? I respect ruf because they do re engineer the cars thoroughly , changing only what is required to gain genuine improvement. Ruf however do not play the art card and charge a price that reflects the changes. These things are so expensive the mechanicals seem unimportant because the owner would be too afraid to drive it hard, and I'm willing to stick my next out and say a standard 993 turbo/ turbo S would comprehensively destroy its performance on both road and track, a car that will surely appreciate every year older it gets. What about the spares for these cars and how durable will all this panel work be In Twenty years time and who will be able to fix it, who has the moulds. It is a lot of money for what is effectively a rare suit of clothes. It really is not much different to what was being done bodily to the pre impact bumper 911 by racers back in the day of widening the arches , of a nice shaped car with some modern improvements of some of the functional elements. They may make it a bit more on parr performance wise with modern standard production cars and make it useable every day ,but who drives one of these every day??? Do drivers really want the modern drive from a car, a thing designed for people who drive because they have to not because they want to?
Stylistically are these anything other than a millionaires cal look beetle?
I think i could spend a lot less to be this individual ?? Austin allegro vanden plas Anyone????

Before you ask , I don't dislike these cars for their appearance or engineering but this is just a companies bespoke modified 911, and the cost is not commensurate with the changes made in my eyes ?

I could be wrong of course!
Christian.......

Watching that (great) video, the best bit is in the commentary between 45 - 50 seconds. It makes me feel very lucky and proud. :)

Magnus walker is doing a nice line in tarting up cars and making a name for himself without fundamentally changing the Base car, just improving and doing the jobs a lot of people don't want to tackle themselves. People want to just pick up a lovely looking car that drives well and won't have issues, these type of garages were just quick to see the gaps and provide a filler. Good luck to them I say, if I had the cash I'd love something similar

provide a filler

........ I nearly spat my wine all over the key board ....... lol ....... ;)

mohitos said:
Zingari - where do you value the donor cars?

:hand: Depends it you want to use a Cat D/C base and how do they register a Singer model in UK? Does it still carry the history of the donor vehicle?

Donor car: 15-30 bags :thumb: However when you're spending north of 500 in cold you might want operate with gay abadon donning the Jonttt rose timted specs :roll:

Are Singer now using 993 as their product was based on the 'last of the traditional shaped air cooled 911'

Have to agree with Colt on this one. The company has plucked the numbers out of the sky and then doubled it for the footballers.

I think it's probably still registered as the donor vehicle for v5 purposes because if you made major chassis alterations and had to re-register it you'd need an esva or whatever it's called now to get a new v5 etc. I don't think that is possible so I imagine it's just the donor vehicle with "new clothes"

Also, that is going to HURT over anything but billiard ball smooth surfaces unless it's fitted with Cayenne-type Air Suspension.

Bollocks to that, I'd want at least £300k off.

Attachments

• screen_shot_2016_12_04_at_183205_901.jpg
    screen_shot_2016_12_04_at_183205_901.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 3,121
heres my opinion for what its worth,

its just not for me, I like a car to just be the original, I don't like variations, modifications, back dates, replicas, add-ons, extra power, different exhaust, etc etc.

my dream would be to take a 3.2 back to a shell, and have it put back as factory new in its perfect original form.

I think kate moss has a backdate, and beckham.

993 retro backdate

Hey all
I've just joined the forum and been browsing the different projects etc.

I'm in the process of researching and making plans to take a 993 manual and back date it with wide arches, long bonnet etc to look like a classic but with modern underpinnings. In the same sort of style as a singer 911/ retro works 911.

Right now I'm in the planning and budget stage before buying a 993 to start with.

Mainly I'm just swaying with whether or not to do a wide arch mod on it. What's people's opinions?
I want a clean classic look, 912 style front indicators etc, modern hella projectors/led and led lights behind classic lenses on rear.
Likewise classic style wheels and a reworked engine if budget allows.

Trying to keep the budget tight and only outsourcing labour where needed.

Thanks, I'm sure I'll have more questions and updates as things progress.

Hi and welcome.

There is a wealth of experience on this forum so someone wiser than me will be along shortly but I`m curious as to why you are planning a 993 for this project and not a 964 which I would have thought would require less body manipulation to achieve the desired long hood look.

Subscribed to follow your progress anyway. :thumb:

The 993 is not a good place to start if you want to do all that work, why do you think Singer use 964?

Check out the Guntherwerks 993 for inspiration.
https://www.guntherwerks.com

The issue as said above is that the 993's body was changed a lot vs the 964/3.2 SC so you will have the added complication and expense of bespoke 'retro' parts plus the asking price for a donor car. Saying that, 964s fetch a lot now.

There is a great thread somewhere on a 993 Speedster build by 9m which looked fantastic with its widebody rear, based on a normal cabrio.

Re: 993 retro backdate

Saturn said:
I'm in the process of researching and making plans to take a 993 manual and back date it with wide arches, long bonnet etc to look like a classic but with modern underpinnings. In the same sort of style as a singer 911/ retro works 911.
A company called KAEGE RETRO has given this a go...

Kaege_Porsche_Exterieur_Steile_FFP.jpg

KaegeRETRO_Teaser_Generation_23.jpg

Looks nice from some angles, a little awkward from others...

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back