Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Exhaust Tips

robro911

Good morning chaps,
looking for a bit of input and advice for something many of you will have done or come across. I bought a pair of used quad exhaust tips from a 997.1 carrera 2s to fit to my 997.1 carrera, but I didn't realise the exhaust pipe diameter is different so I guess I will need some kind of reducer, also these tips came without the olives/grip rings, can they be fitted without them. Any/all input will be gratefully received.

Hi, I looked for a long time for some new tail pipe olives and finally got some from ebay - seller jaspa02 Porsche 911 997 Gen 1 Exhaust Tailpipe & Gen II Tailpipe Clamp Olive/Grip ring. item No 143279914257
make him an offer, he accepted mine for a pair.
As for the difference in dia, which you will still have even with the olives fitted, I would approach a local custom exhaust fitting place and get them to supply you with (or they to fit) spacers made from stainless steel exhaust tube to make up the difference in diameter.
Do not let them weld them on and do not try to fit without olives or spacers, you will loose them.
cheers,
Tony.

Ronyted said:
Hi, I looked for a long time for some new tail pipe olives and finally got some from ebay - seller jaspa02 Porsche 911 997 Gen 1 Exhaust Tailpipe & Gen II Tailpipe Clamp Olive/Grip ring. item No 143279914257
make him an offer, he accepted mine for a pair.
As for the difference in dia, which you will still have even with the olives fitted, I would approach a local custom exhaust fitting place and get them to supply you with (or they to fit) spacers made from stainless steel exhaust tube to make up the difference in diameter.
Do not let them weld them on and do not try to fit without olives or spacers, you will loose them.
cheers,
Tony.

Thanks for your input, I've found some spacers at FVD at $59 ! which is a bit steep for a couple of pieces of S/S tube so I'm going to pay a visit to the custom exhaust place that did the "Gundo hack" for me to see what they can come up with

Hertsdriver said:
The 3.6 and 3.8 exhausts are exactly the same. You just need the olives to fit the trims no pipes

Thanks for your input, but the diameter of the exhaust pipes on the gen 1 Carrera and Carrera S are different, at 49mm and 58 mm respectively hence the need for spacers.

robro911 said:
Hertsdriver said:
The 3.6 and 3.8 exhausts are exactly the same. You just need the olives to fit the trims no pipes

Thanks for your input, but the diameter of the exhaust pipes on the gen 1 Carrera and Carrera S are different, at 49mm and 58 mm respectively hence the need for spacers.

OK mate.
I have the S exhaust trims on my non S car (which has the standard exhaust back boxes for a 3.6) and I do not have any spacers at all and they fit just fine with the olives. Maybe mine are repro? :?:

Hertsdriver said:
robro911 said:
Hertsdriver said:

OK mate.
I have the S exhaust trims on my non S car (which has the standard exhaust back boxes for a 3.6) and I do not have any spacers at all and they fit just fine with the olives. Maybe mine are repro? :?:

OP is correct, I wanted to do the opposite and fit oval tailpipe trims to my S and bought a set ........... too small :x some fettling required when/if I get round to it!

bullet-proof_biscuit said:
in need of olives wich aren't 40 quid a pop!¬

I decided to buy some 60mm steel tube and make them myself, I really couldn't bring myself to pay £80 for the olives. I am a true "Yorkshireman" !!

:bye: Thread resurrection time.

So - we have established gen1 carrera / gen1 carrera S tailpipes are different diameters, needing different exhaust tips.

Does anyone know if gen1 tailpipe is the same as gen2 tailpipe diameter?
(Specifically, will gen1 carrera exhaust tips fit my gen2 carrera?)

And does anyone have a current source for the olives? (Phils man James has stopped doing them :nooo: )

Hoping someone can advise before my tip falls off. :oops:

Cheers

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back