Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
992 : 2019- 0
991 : 2011- 23
997 : 2004- 66
996 : 1997-2005 34
993 : 1993-1998 4
964 : 1989-1993 1
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 2
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 2
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 1
Early 911 : 1964-1977 1
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 30
Cayman : 2005- 20
Cayenne : 2003- 6
Macan : 2014- 5
Panamera : 2009- 0
912-914-924-928-944-968 1
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 0
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [992] 2018-Current
Porsche 911 [992]
911 [991] 2011-2019
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-2012
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Message
robro911
Newbie


Joined: 05 Apr 2008
Posts: 34



PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject: Exhaust Tips Reply with quote

Good morning chaps,
looking for a bit of input and advice for something many of you will have done or come across. I bought a pair of used quad exhaust tips from a 997.1 carrera 2s to fit to my 997.1 carrera, but I didn't realise the exhaust pipe diameter is different so I guess I will need some kind of reducer, also these tips came without the olives/grip rings, can they be fitted without them. Any/all input will be gratefully received.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Ronyted
Newbie


Joined: 09 Jun 2018
Posts: 6
Location: Cannock, Staffs.


PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I looked for a long time for some new tail pipe olives and finally got some from ebay - seller jaspa02 Porsche 911 997 Gen 1 Exhaust Tailpipe & Gen II Tailpipe Clamp Olive/Grip ring. item No 143279914257
make him an offer, he accepted mine for a pair.
As for the difference in dia, which you will still have even with the olives fitted, I would approach a local custom exhaust fitting place and get them to supply you with (or they to fit) spacers made from stainless steel exhaust tube to make up the difference in diameter.
Do not let them weld them on and do not try to fit without olives or spacers, you will loose them.
cheers,
Tony.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Hertsdriver
Nürburgring


Joined: 12 Nov 2018
Posts: 472
Location: Hertfordshire/London

2004 Porsche 997 Carrera 2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3.6 and 3.8 exhausts are exactly the same. You just need the olives to fit the trims no pipes
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
robro911
Newbie


Joined: 05 Apr 2008
Posts: 34



PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronyted wrote:
Hi, I looked for a long time for some new tail pipe olives and finally got some from ebay - seller jaspa02 Porsche 911 997 Gen 1 Exhaust Tailpipe & Gen II Tailpipe Clamp Olive/Grip ring. item No 143279914257
make him an offer, he accepted mine for a pair.
As for the difference in dia, which you will still have even with the olives fitted, I would approach a local custom exhaust fitting place and get them to supply you with (or they to fit) spacers made from stainless steel exhaust tube to make up the difference in diameter.
Do not let them weld them on and do not try to fit without olives or spacers, you will loose them.
cheers,
Tony.


Thanks for your input, I've found some spacers at FVD at $59 ! which is a bit steep for a couple of pieces of S/S tube so I'm going to pay a visit to the custom exhaust place that did the "Gundo hack" for me to see what they can come up with
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
robro911
Newbie


Joined: 05 Apr 2008
Posts: 34



PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hertsdriver wrote:
The 3.6 and 3.8 exhausts are exactly the same. You just need the olives to fit the trims no pipes


Thanks for your input, but the diameter of the exhaust pipes on the gen 1 Carrera and Carrera S are different, at 49mm and 58 mm respectively hence the need for spacers.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Hertsdriver
Nürburgring


Joined: 12 Nov 2018
Posts: 472
Location: Hertfordshire/London

2004 Porsche 997 Carrera 2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robro911 wrote:
Hertsdriver wrote:
The 3.6 and 3.8 exhausts are exactly the same. You just need the olives to fit the trims no pipes


Thanks for your input, but the diameter of the exhaust pipes on the gen 1 Carrera and Carrera S are different, at 49mm and 58 mm respectively hence the need for spacers.


OK mate.
I have the S exhaust trims on my non S car (which has the standard exhaust back boxes for a 3.6) and I do not have any spacers at all and they fit just fine with the olives. Maybe mine are repro? Question
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
jl-c
Monza


Joined: 22 Jul 2013
Posts: 243
Location: Shropshire


PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hertsdriver wrote:
robro911 wrote:
Hertsdriver wrote:
The 3.6 and 3.8 exhausts are exactly the same. You just need the olives to fit the trims no pipes


Thanks for your input, but the diameter of the exhaust pipes on the gen 1 Carrera and Carrera S are different, at 49mm and 58 mm respectively hence the need for spacers.


OK mate.
I have the S exhaust trims on my non S car (which has the standard exhaust back boxes for a 3.6) and I do not have any spacers at all and they fit just fine with the olives. Maybe mine are repro? Question


OP is correct, I wanted to do the opposite and fit oval tailpipe trims to my S and bought a set ........... too small Mad some fettling required when/if I get round to it!
_________________
Porsche Carrera 2S 2005 black fully Hartech'd!, BMW Z4 coupé 2007 blue, Mazda Eunos 1996 yellow, VW Passat 2014 black.


We all do silly things/make mistakes, it's how we deal with them that sets us apart from animals and Americans.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
bullet-proof_biscuit
Newbie


Joined: 10 Jun 2019
Posts: 44



PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in need of olives wich aren't 40 quid a pop!¬
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
robro911
Newbie


Joined: 05 Apr 2008
Posts: 34



PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bullet-proof_biscuit wrote:
in need of olives wich aren't 40 quid a pop!¬


I decided to buy some 60mm steel tube and make them myself, I really couldn't bring myself to pay £80 for the olives. I am a true "Yorkshireman" !!
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic   All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
You cannot post calendar events in this forum