Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tennessee in the 993. The end of the most amazing road trip.

Even though I am not a fan of the good ol' US of A what a fantastic and epic trip :thumb:

tyinsky said:
Oh yes. This month's Total 911, four spreads in there, then the same next month. Got a mention in Octane and EVO too. :thumb:
Something to be very proud of!
Look forward to seeing coverage in print.... your photography is certainly worthy of it 8) :thumbs:.

Kinda lost for words which is unusual for me... I can only echo ALL that has been typed above, :worship:

Wow, what a once in a lifetime experience tyinsky, kudos to you :worship:

How much did it cost to ship the 993 there and back :?:

I missed this 'signing off" thread as I was on holiday in August.

I can't add anything that hasn't already been said. Inspirational, epic and the stuff dreams are made of.
You have my respect and envy in equal measure. :worship: :worship:

You summed it up amazingly when you wrote 'Something I'll remember fondly in my final days". That's what it's all about. We aren't here long. Got to grab these experiences when we can. 8)

I still have the last few instalments to read on your main thread. I can't wait.
Thanks for taking the time to cover it when you were out there. I don't know how you managed it. :thumb:

kurlykris said:
How much did it cost to ship the 993 there and back :?:

It's in the shipping and planning section, but having just looked I can see I need to update it with the actual figures post trip. Shipping was £4k (return), Insurance was $3k, AAA breakdown cover was $200-300. So £6/7k to cover the whole lot, or roughly what it would have cost to hire a Cayman/Boxster for six weeks.

Petrol cost next to nothing. I worked it out with some colleagues after I got back and it looked like less than £1,500.

The longer the trip, the more the numbers make sense. Spread those costs over a month or more and it is reasonable. Spread it over six months and it's a bargain. I'm considering doing another shorter trip next year or the year after, perhaps three weeks, maybe in another car.

Brilliant idea of yours Tyinsky.
Brilliantly written up with cracking photos.
Well done you.

Did you at any time wish you were in a LHD car?
:worship:

Tombri said:
Did you at any time wish you were in a LHD car?

Not once. The only place it became noticeable were drive-thru fast food establishments, and on all but one occasion there were two of us in the car making it a non-issue, albeit amusing for the person in the serving window as the RHD was a novelty.

In the mid-90s I had one of those Lancia Integrale things in London when they were all the rage, the only obstacle I ever remember were buses. Get to close to one when it stopped and you'd be sitting there until everyone had embarked/disembarked as there was no way of seeing past it.

It's not much different to coming out the other side of the channel tunnel into France and beyond.

tyinsky said:

Always a favourite of mine when I'm west coast Tyinsky. Another great pic and memory.

Kin Ace,

Out here in Kazakhstan....

stumbled across this hours ago , spent my half day off jumping in and out of the trip while trying to catch up on my house modification worklist ..!!

Brilliant this one .....day 05/19..
"He was telling us about his time in the Navy and how he'd spent a lot of time in Europe but never made it to England. We had a laugh about how the Germans once said the same thing. !!"

Absolutely Class write up .....!!

Cheers TY..

Well done chum :thumb: I enjoyed it.

It makes a change from the usual 993 owner story about how they check the forecast and with a risk of inclement weather below 5%, unzip the carcoon and decide to 'gamble' on a road trip to the corner shop for a pint of milk and loaf of bread. :roll:

8,000 miles in such a short space of time, and two boat crossings have taken some toll. One massive stone chip on the front, a small scrape to the rear wing, one of the door straps has gone, I have a misfire that appeared on the last couple of days, and it is still filthy dirty as I've not yet cleaned it. The air con needs fixing too. I can fully understand the fear of taking them out :)

One thing that has surprised me is the tyre wear. I put a fresh set of Michelin PS2s on the car before I left and they're still fine. Fronts had a bit of a track day look on the edges after the Tail of the Dragon but the tread depths are good.

That German line really did have me and the old boy laughing. :grin:

On the 'to-do' list tomorrow. :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SondeMadiu
Back