Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Nick being hounded at the Ring

ELA

"Chasing a modified 996 GT3 RS" :grin:

Would be interested to know what tyres were fitted on both cars, I mean a Clio on slicks would probably worry most things... (before tipping over) :D

Mine was road tyres for sure, too long ago to remember which ones. I doubt the Alfa was on anything trick either as there's plenty of tyre noise in the corners...

In my defence, I had been out following our friend in the Alfa previously so I knew the sort of pace it had, but on this occasion I had a passenger in the car who had warned me before we set off that:

a) it was his first lap of the ring
b) he wasn't entirely sure if he'd make it round without being sick

Therefore I wasn't really pushing that hard as I know how hard removing the smell of vomit from a car can be
:floor:

All that said, the Alfa is a quick little car & it demonstrates how much light weight can level the playing field over a heavier car with more power.

NXI20 said:
In my defence, I had been out following our friend in the Alfa previously so I knew the sort of pace it had, but on this occasion I had a passenger in the car who had warned me before we set off that:

Therefore I wasn't really pushing that hard as I know how hard removing the smell of vomit from a car can be

Watching the video (didn't watch it all), it struck me straight away that the Porsche driver clearly wasn't trying, where as the Alfa was giving it everything he has, so not surprised to see your comments at all.

You clearly could have had the legs on him as you did on some of the more open sections, but fair play to him, he knew exactly when to hang the gears out for a corner for what I could see.

GlenB said:
NXI20 said:

Watching the video (didn't watch it all), it struck me straight away that the Porsche driver clearly wasn't trying, where as the Alfa was giving it everything he has, so not surprised to see your comments at all.

You clearly could have had the legs on him as you did on some of the more open sections, but fair play to him, he knew exactly when to hang the gears out for a corner for what I could see.

I think anyone getting an 8.15min BGT is on it. It looks like Max Banks driving the Alfa who knows how to pedal. The little Alfa is an early 60's design running little skinny 15's so it is a remarkable achievement to get anywhere close to a GT3. Assuming an 850kg weight it was around 254bhp/ton at the time of the video. Nowadays they have developed the 105 a little further with titanium wishbones, power up to 240bhp and weight down to 830kg. Proper mental ;)

There's a guy who posts on Pistonheads who's often on the DN days with a Fiat Panda 100hp which is indecently quick.

No idea what's been done to the car, but there surely cannot have been that much. A decent setup and an experienced driver can be hugely quick without too much HP around there.

NXI20 said:
All that said, the Alfa is a quick little car & it demonstrates how much light weight can level the playing field over a heavier car with more power.

This ^ I track a Caterham R300 that has <200bhp and is geared for <130mph. But, it only weighs about 500kg. Even at a big circuit like Spa, the Caterham is as fast/faster than far more powerful/potent machines it just goes about it in a very different way.

FZP said:
https://youtu.be/9BuZmJmpTdk

Is this the chasing car?

Yes this it a later evolution but actually the same car. When Harris drove it, it was 290bhp/ton hence the name GTA-R 290 whereas in the Nick video it was around 254bhp/ton at the time :thumb:

Nick being hounded at the Ring

that title is brutal as I know from the car and the driver it's just a steady BTG lap

a good lap from the Alfa but there is a probably a reason why he didnt show the other videos when Nick was much faster.

I know that video pain, did a day at Silverstone many years (a decade) ago with my brother (his 1st time on track), but low and behold youtube only had a video of cars chasing the GT3 when he was driving it on his 1st ever session asking why the car was sooooo slow :hand:

Both these guys have clearly done their fair share of laps round the Ring.

I think you've probably got to have 100+ laps in you before you start to get close to exploring the limits of whatever you're driving consistently over the lap.

There's plenty of old shells rocketing round the Ring making mockery of the flash twats who turn up in their new M3s. When I was there a few years ago I sat in with a guy who'd done 300 odd laps in his stripped out mk2 Golf Gti, sticky tyres and track suspension. Probably 150bhp in 900kg and he was roasting everyone. Quite the lesson.

So it's more credit to Nick that on a 'casual' lap with passenger he's staying ahead of the Alfa being driven to the limit. Nick - what kind of speeds do you hit over Schwedenkreuz? One of only a few places really where power actually tells over the lap. Hitting that blind crest without lifting is :eek: if you haven't got your line spot on.

250-265 kph usually

NXI20 said:
250-265 kph usually

And to do that you really can't drop much below 160 kph in the Flugplatz beforehand and so on and so on.

for comparison this is what a slow and steady 8'15 minute BTG lap looks like from inside a 996 GT3

from 2008 so before Go-Pro's so excuse the video quality

911UK said:
for comparison this is what a slow and steady 8'15 minute BTG lap looks like from inside a 996 GT3

from 2008 so before Go-Pro's so excuse the video quality

Blimey, doesn't time fly, over 10 years ago.

Good going as loads of traffic early on.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back