Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Benja's 996.1 K400 GT3

ELA said:
Has your K20 manifold been to Zircotec for a visit?

Yes indeedy 8)

It all gets a bit spicy back there as airflow is not the best so I did all I could to manage the heat. Exhaust silencing material is a consumable on that car, it just vapourises it...whilst producing mucho flames 8)

Marky911 said:
PS. Gorgeous Exige Ben!
I was expecting a rough track hack for some reason. That looks show quality. Lovely job. 8)

Thanks Marky. Tbh it was a track hack for more than a decade but I get bored with discovering new and exciting ways to break it. When it let me down just outside of Verviers BEFORE a double header at Spa I nearly put a match to it. I bought a Caterham R300 ex-race/rental car the next day. Then once I'd calmed down a bit more (months) it had a complete rebuild/restoration/respray into the loveliness in the pics. It has been 100% reliable since I stopped using it on circuit :D I don't think I could ever sell that car even though I barely ever drive it these days.

Marky911 said:
Ah right.
I'm watching with interest then as mine are Manthey by KW. V3s.

I know Graham 'Coulstar" above sent his K1s to Cornering force in Harrogate and all they could do was test and diagnose. They told him they couldn't sort them, so he had to contact KW UK.

Good info though Cherbie, have you used Cornering force for the V3s?

How bad a bill from Manthey are we talking if you don't mind me asking?
I know my C2 V3s cost £400 for the front pair to be tested and refurbed by KW UK. They took about 3 weeks too. It was my mate who owned them at the time and he wasn't best pleased with the turnaround. :nooo:

PS. Gorgeous Exige Ben!
I was expecting a rough track hack for some reason. That looks show quality. Lovely job. 8)

A friend is getting the KW V3s on his E46 M3 refurbished by Cornering Force at present. Once he gets them back I would confirm costs. Although they look different, the BMW and Porsche strut inside are very similar.

As to the Manthey tax - can't quote you a price directly off the top of my head, but honestly I was wondering if the bloke at the other end of the line was keeping a straight face.

The Manthey by KW are essentially V3s valved to Manthey spec. There's no unicorn jizz inside instead of oil. The adjusters are the same shite (difficult) to adjust design and I bet the shim stacks inside are pretty identical. Hence I am confident that Cornering force would do the job well...

Marky911 said:

I'm also very interested in this! MR quoted me 140Euro a corner for a refurb + parts. Refurb includes seals/oil/dyno-check. Sounds like if mine needs parts then I should brace for a biggun' :eek:

Benja_Exige said:
Marky911 said:

I'm also very interested in this! MR quoted me 140Euro a corner for a refurb + parts. Refurb includes seals/oil/dyno-check. Sounds like if mine needs parts then I should brace for a biggun' :eek:

Not sure if this is any help but I have the KW Competitions (presumably one up from the V3s ie more expensive :lol: ) and they were £1236 for a refurbishment in 2016. They too could not be done by KW UK and so went back to the fatherland.

I am sure yours will not be far off.

Pip

Congratulations on your purchase! Been an admirer of this car for several years! Looking forward to your updates....

Benja_Exige said:
After I bought the car I was at Zandvoort when the Historic Festival was on. Seeing the Porsche Museum 996 RSR on circuit proved fatal, I had to get some BBS E88s for my new acquisition. A couple of emails exchanged with Gert and it was sorted,..I should have them in a couple of weeks 8) Gold centres,..obviously :wink:

I forgot to say Benja congratulations on the purchase especially a Manthey-Racing fettled one. I have to say I am a little jealous. I was going to ask where the picture of the car shod with BBS is but then realised that you have only just ordered them.

I hope it brings you plenty of enjoyable driving (with one of the last fully interactive cars). They are exhilarating cars where you get a real sense of achievement and are extremely visceral.

Pip

Nice car Ben :mrgreen:
Really good to meet you (and your protege) !! :

Tough seeing and hearing the old girl again. Glad you like her.
Here's to many miles of smiles behind the wheel :)

ELA said:
Lovely car that Benja.

Whilst on the subject of Manthey, looking at the engine bay picture above it seems a strange choice of air filter they use as it sits directly above the exhaust. From that picture it doesn't appear to be enclosed with a cool air supply. Is this their typical 996GT3 set-up?

Here you go Rich, this is the standard K400 Manthey carbon fibre cold air shroud :

ovE6as7.jpg

Plenty of cold air, and the carbon duct isolates the filter from general engine bay heat very nicely.

Slow progress on the K400 as I've been so busy, but things are moving now.

Hopefully I'll hear from Gert soon that my BBS are ready to ship. I was getting concerned the wheels may get caught up in Post-Brexit logistics chaos,..needn't have worried huh.

So the car is still at TFL Racing in the Midlands. It's now on axle-stands with the shocks on their way to MR (and me braced for impact for an invoice from Germany).

In a race shop typically full of Caterhams and Radicals, the big 'ol 996 certainly has a presence!

1.jpg
:thumb:

The shocks aren't in bad shape, only x1 of them is leaking. Let's see what MR have to say..

2.jpg
:thumb:

Pip1968 said:
I hope it brings you plenty of enjoyable driving (with one of the last fully interactive cars). They are exhilarating cars where you get a real sense of achievement and are extremely visceral.

Pip

Thanks Pip. I can't wait to get some seat time. From the shirt drive I've had I know I'm going to get on with it, it's my kinda machine.

Slippydiff said:
Nice car Ben :mrgreen:
Really good to meet you (and your protege) !! :

Likewise Henry! I'm imagining another pleasant lunch in the sun at Caffeine&Machine but with a black K400 on E88s in the car park 8)

Damper are back from MR having been serviced and dyno'd and sporting new seals/oil and a bill for EUR900. In fairness this is what they quoted me before I sent them off.

The MR-spec KWs are likely to have gone on the car in 2004 when it was converted. The spring/helpers/bumpstops were all pretty tired/rusty so I thought I'd better get nice shiny new bits direct from KW.

For future reference/interest, here is the list of KW parts used in the MR-spec dampers for the K400.

60110063 - KW High Performance Race Spring 60Nm x 140
60110114 - KW High Performance Race Spring 170Nm x 170
60110080 - KW Helper Spring 40-60-60 (same on both axles)
65210046 - Bump stop
65210047 - Bump stop
65210408 - KW Black Base (rubber pad on the spring seat)

That little lot added £470 to the EUR900 I'd already spent with MR.

So they'll be all nice and shiny and as MR intended,..I just hope I like them when I get to actually drive the car!

Fair play to MR - they contacted me today admit they'd miscalculated my invoice and they'd over charged me 240 euros that they'd now refunded :thumb:

So my total for a refresh/dyno was more like 760 euros.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back