Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Centre Radiator question

jl-c

Montreal
No this is not the usual question :)
I wondered if anyone who has not fitted the kit knows the ID of the long hose?
I intend to fit a stat in line to mine (yes I fitted it all before understanding the ramifications of doing so!)
If unknown the OD would help and I can make an educated guess on the size of the tails required. I intend to fit a 95C stat so should only come in if absolutely needed. I also have a little man with a lathe who is expert at making things for me set up to make the in-line housing. He has already made me replacement hydraulic cylinders for the turbo/turbo S rear wing. I just need that dimension before he can produce this from a solid billet.
Any info appreciated :thumb:

I have a kit in my garage at home but it will be the end of the week till I get access to measure. If you don't have an answer I will get it to you Friday at the latest

I have one stuck in a box in the roof of the garage, I had thought about fitting a swirl pot from a motorsport application to step down the drop and use the two ends of the original pipe to fit each side with clamps of the same diameter on entry and exit to the pot with a thermostat tapped in the bottom?

Windy101 said:
I have a kit in my garage at home but it will be the end of the week till I get access to measure. If you don't have an answer I will get it to you Friday at the latest

That would be much appreciated! I could remove the bumper and hose on mine to measure but I don't really want to disable the car for that long, I drive mine through winter, hence the need to sort this soon as apparently the issue caused by the centre rad is worse in cold weather.

C4Silver said:
I have one stuck in a box in the roof of the garage, I had thought about fitting a swirl pot from a motorsport application to step down the drop and use the two ends of the original pipe to fit each side with clamps of the same diameter on entry and exit to the pot with a thermostat tapped in the bottom?

If you persue this let us know how it goes :) interested to see if that works, it would be easier than manufacturing an inline housing. Still would need those dimensions though! I had thought to use the inline stat from an auto BMW Z4 but of course you are stuck with their choice of stat opening temperature so not possible to experiment.

If it helps another member called bullet-proof_biscuit says on the 'what have you bought this week' thread that he has fitted an inline thermostat to his 3rd rad kit. I asked for more specific details but he hasn't posted back yet. Maybe drop him a message?
http://911uk.com/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=40845

bullet-proof_biscuit said:
Oorrr; fit a thermostatic valve on to the centre radiator inlet hose AND a Hartech low temperature thermostat, like me!

:D :D :D

Hertsdriver said:
If it helps another member called bullet-proof_biscuit says on the 'what have you bought this week' thread that he has fitted an inline thermostat to his 3rd rad kit. I asked for more specific details but he hasn't posted back yet. Maybe drop him a message?
http://911uk.com/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=40845

Thank you for this, I have spoken to him already but it seems that it is a trial fit for someone else and for something that if it works will market for hundreds and I am trying to avoid that sort of cost! At that cost I may as well revert back to normal and remove the centre rad. I gather he did not produce it ( if I understand correctly) so wouldn't know the dimensions. Thank you anyway!

Inside diameter of metal fitting on the end of the hose is 26mm
Its not a simple shape though.

Windy101 said:
O/D of the rubber hose is 29mm

Thank you for those figures, it gives me something to work with. Cheers! I will post a follow up when/if I find a reasonable solution. Many thanks again. :) :thumb:

Something like this

Courtesy of agcauto.com

Attachments

• 3c9a4ef5_20f0_4eb0_aec5_98262cb5acbb_189.jpeg
    3c9a4ef5_20f0_4eb0_aec5_98262cb5acbb_189.jpeg
    143.3 KB · Views: 3,372
I wish! Unfortunately nothing like that at all! This is closer but I am having to get something made with the correct diameters to fit on the hoses, contain an easily obtained thermostat and fit in the available space :eek:

Attachments

• in_line_stat2_204.jpeg
    in_line_stat2_204.jpeg
    69.7 KB · Views: 3,359
This is the circuit and I am trying to control the flow through the centre radiator.

Attachments

• cooling_system_layout_154.jpeg
    cooling_system_layout_154.jpeg
    78.8 KB · Views: 3,330
Pictures so you know what I was measuring

Attachments

• sm2_118.jpg
    sm2_118.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 3,282
  • sm1_730.jpg
    sm1_730.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 3,282
  • sm3_126.jpg
    sm3_126.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 3,282
So from Windy's pic it seems there is enough of a straight run on one of the pipes to fit an inline housing, are you able to measure the length of the straight run as per the pic below?

If the ID of the hoses is 26mm then surely one of the off the shelf 1 1/4" inline thermostats made by Meziere from america will work? its only stretching the rubber hoses by 5mm, once a decent jubilee clip is in place that shouldn't be an issue and be a much cheaper solution than a custom one. They are made to take standard sized thermostats so one of the correct temperature can be installed (no idea what that would be though.. any thoughts?). They do sell them in the uk as they are used as an upgrade on various Rovers/Landrovers but obviously cheaper direct from the USA. From what I can find the WL0071 is 16cm long:

WN0071.jpg

Inline housing:
https://www.meziere.com/Products/Co...hermostat-Housing-1-25-Hose-to-1-25-Hose.aspx

Various temperature thermostats (presume these are listed in Fahrenheit)
https://www.meziere.com/Products/Cooling-System-Accessories/Thermostats.aspx

Attachments

• hose_108.jpg
    hose_108.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 3,266

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back