Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Another Carrera HPFP failure

vanHunks

The HPFP on my 2011 Carrera GTS with about 84 000 km has been leaking - it appears for a while - and is being replaced. There's no stock here on the southern tip - about a three-week delay. PC reckon they use about five a year in the whole country so don't need to hold stock.

I don't know if it's normal but the car has for a long time started more quickly when cold than when warm, which is a little counter-intuitive. Is this a symptom of a failing HPFP ? I was alerted to the problem by the stain on the floor under the pump.

To save other technophobes googling like I had to ....... :oops:

HPFP = High Pressure Fuel Pump

T8 said:

:floor: :floor: :thumb:

T8 said:

In my experience you soon learn the key abbreviations of the stuff that goes wrong, or the stuff that people like to do. Four and a bit years ago for example, I sort of knew that there was an issue, but I didn't know what an IMS was...

There are loads of Porsche-specific ones in the Porsche universe as well of course: PCM, PASM, PTM...

BS = Bore Score?

I hope you only have to wait 3 weeks , I changed mine as part of the engine rebuild on my 997.2 back in March and Porsche had no stock in Europe infact the only one they had was in the USA and initially they refused to divert it back to the UK . after 6 weeks Hartech who spend a lot of money with Porsche got annoyed and shouted, the next day they had an email from Porsche to say it was being shipped that day . So I really hope they now have stock for you . :thumb:

:grin: here's the official definition of PCGB .... wearer of sandals with socks :floor: :floor:

MaxA said:
T8 said:

In my experience you soon learn the key abbreviations of the stuff that goes wrong, or the stuff that people like to do. Four and a bit years ago for example, I sort of knew that there was an issue, but I didn't know what an IMS was...

There are loads of Porsche-specific ones in the Porsche universe as well of course: PCM, PASM, PTM...

An old thread but it does list quite a number of a abbreviations.
Helpful to some I'm sure.

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=30170&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20

Back in the early days and there was a massive recall on these .. not just 997 but every car with them fitted even Cayennes .

There are few these days .. i see maybe 1 per year ..

Different faults though , some are running problems .. some are starting problems and some leak ...

Normally oil though .. a petrol leak would be pretty dangerous as its very high pressure .. 150 bar ish ..

I've seen over 230 bar but that was a problem one and we switched it off pretty damn quick when we saw the pressure .

A starting problem in the past and a leak now and i would put the two together and say its been faulty for a while and a replacement should fix both issues .

Rule of thumb with these though .. they throw up a fault code so it should be seen as an issue on a service if not before .

@ Phil 997 - Ouch. Good on Hartech to step in. My parts manager is confident the unit is on its way although it wasn't in the shipment he had anticipated so we shall see. In the meantime they've lent me a Gen 1 Cayenne Hybrid ! Also waiting for rear suspension parts in an attempt to deal with weird vibration from the back when braking - the fourth attempt to deal with this after skimming and new discs and pads didn't work.

@ DeMort : Thanks for the exposition. Yes, it was some kind of oily substance on the floor - I imagine petrol would simply have evaporated without leaving a definite trace - and it's been going on for a while. The car's under an extended warranty so they won't let me drive it. I didn't think of reading the codes but it's all rather moot now.

I've noted that the oil-temperature as been rising under steady-state driving, from about 90 oC when I acquired the car four years ago to about 100 oC at the moment; it goes up to about 110 oC when pushing along. I think I also had pinking on one occasion when climbing a steep hill at low speed on a hot day, which surprised me. I had an E46 M3 a while ago which behaved much the same way; a new fuel pump solved that problem so I shall be interested to see if this repair achieves a similar result.

pzero said:
MaxA said:
T8 said:

An old thread but it does list quite a number of a abbreviations.
Helpful to some I'm sure.

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=30170&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20

Thanks, useful link.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back