Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Benja's 996.1 K400 GT3

Benja_Exige

Following on from this thread, I finally laid eyes on the car yesterday after parting with cash last month. As such. I thought it was time therefore to start a new thread to chart the progress of the car...

I've literally spent years thinking about buying a GT3, torn between 997 or 996,..or should I pick up an air-cooled hotrod project? Something about the black K400 and its unique history really appealed. I researched it, had it appraised by a friend, spoke to previous owners etc and became convinced it was right up my street. Convinced enough to buy it sight-unseen and get some mates to pick it up and store it.

Special thanks needs to go to Henry (Slippydiff) for his enthusiasm and encyclopedic knowledge. Fantastic to meet him yesterday and for him to be reunited with one of his historical steeds. It doesn't seem to have done much work or changed so much in the five years since he let it go.

This is my first Porsche after a long history of british lightweights and Merc/BMW heavy weaponry. I still have my series1 Lotus Exige (pretty mental with a SC Honda K20) and my trackday Caterham R300 racecar. I can't say the K400 will see 'much' track action as the Caterham is purpose built for exclusively that. The Porsche will be mainly a roadcar but no doubt it'll see a couple of laps if I've driven it to a trackday.

So considering it's twenty years old, I wasn't disappointed when I pitched up at TFL Racing yesterday. TFL run the Caterham and the K400 is living there whilst a few bits gets sorted.

Andy's old plate is still on the car, but K40OGT has already been secured.

996-1.jpg

There's a couple of bits to sort out at the business-end of the car but plans are in place. Also the Manthey dampers are coming off for a service (unfortunately they have to go back to Manthey Racing in Germany)

996-2.jpg

After I bought the car I was at Zandvoort when the Historic Festival was on. Seeing the Porsche Museum 996 RSR on circuit proved fatal, I had to get some BBS E88s for my new acquisition. A couple of emails exchanged with Gert and it was sorted,..I should have them in a couple of weeks 8) Gold centres,..obviously :wink:

996-3.jpg

The original boots were pretty goosed so it's already got some new Cup2s on.

996-4.jpg

I've had a lot of black cars and always vowed to not buy another. Ho hum, looks awesome whilst its clean. I'm still thinking I might wrap it white,...you know just to protect that lovely original paint.

996-5.jpg

I'm taking my time getting the car absolutely 100%. I'll keep this thread updated with progress, hopefully it will get its first proper run out this year.

Great looking car... spent a few trackdays and 'Ring trips with one of its old owners who I'm still friends with Jeff :thumb:

Great to see another K400 on here, nice guy Henry too, met him a few years ago when I bought my current 996.1 GT3.

Enjoy.......

Mk 1s look soo good and coherent as a design...

Shame on me for not driving my K400 for over 13 months...

:sad: :sad:

Beautiful, looks stunning :worship:
Enjoy :thumbs:

Fantastic looking car. 🙌😎

Lovely Manthey Mk1 :thumb:

And I'm a fan of S1 Exige, they are so small they look like a Tamiya RC car. SC Honda'd is just mad, I had been a passenger in a N/A Honda Elise and that was plenty fast for me.

Lovely car that Benja.

Whilst on the subject of Manthey, looking at the engine bay picture above it seems a strange choice of air filter they use as it sits directly above the exhaust. From that picture it doesn't appear to be enclosed with a cool air supply. Is this their typical 996GT3 set-up?

ELA said:
Lovely car that Benja.

Whilst on the subject of Manthey, looking at the engine bay picture above it seems a strange choice of air filter they use as it sits directly above the exhaust. From that picture it doesn't appear to be enclosed with a cool air supply. Is this their typical 996GT3 set-up?

The proper K400 conversion uses a modified rear deck lid and a beautiful carbon fibre airbox attached to it, which also wraps around the cup filter and funnels cold air from above, while shielding it from the exhaust below. The conversion also bins the MAF, resorting to Alfa-N instead...

It's effectively what was found on the very first cup cars...

Lovely car Ben, I'm sure it's very well sorted too, having passed through Henry's hands.

Nice one! 8)

Regarding the suspension going back to Manthey. Is it the Manthey KWV3s or something more special?
I ask as I've got the KW stuff on mine and I'm hoping KW's UK centre can refurb them if I ever need it done.

Marky911 said:
Lovely car Ben, I'm sure it's very well sorted too, having passed through Henry's hands.

Nice one! 8)

Regarding the suspension going back to Manthey. Is it the Manthey KWV3s or something more special?
I ask as I've got the KW stuff on mine and I'm hoping KW's UK centre can refurb them if I ever need it done.

If you have KW V3s then you can have them rebuild here in the UK, by KW UK. If you are unlucky and have 'Manthey by KW" V3, you are screwed and like me have to pay the Olaf tax. KW UK or Germany would not deal with you and instead would sent the shocks to Meuspath. There you will be issued with a bill, that would happily keep a small African dictatorship ticking along nicely for several years. At least I can bask in the reflected glory of Porsche Motorsport...

...Or I can sent the shocks to Cornering Force up North and have them done quicker and cheaper...

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the positive comments.

Looks like I found the right forum with the first two responses being from Daniel and Cheburator, two fellow 996.1 K400 owners.

@Collustar - the K400 engine-kit is described here, JZM were the UK sole agents I believe. There was other MR parts in the catalogue too I think. Mine has the lovely carbon airbox on the deck lid as Cheburator describes. I think mine was converted 15 years ago!

@Y2K - yes I love my Exige S1 like a child, I've owned it for nearly 18years and turned it into my version of Lotus perfection. Some baulk at how far the car has deviated from factory spec but it's now a properly sorted thing. Tbh it's a bit nuts now with 330bhp@hubs pushing <800kg. It's the kind of car you really have to be in the mood for. Couple of pics :

brands1.jpg

grigio1.jpg

grigio4.jpg

Cheburator said:
If you have KW V3s then you can have them rebuild here in the UK, by KW UK. If you are unlucky and have 'Manthey by KW" V3, you are screwed and like me have to pay the Olaf tax. KW UK or Germany would not deal with you and instead would sent the shocks to Meuspath. There you will be issued with a bill, that would happily keep a small African dictatorship ticking along nicely for several years. At least I can bask in the reflected glory of Porsche Motorsport...

...Or I can sent the shocks to Cornering Force up North and have them done quicker and cheaper...

Ahhh this is the journey I've already embarked on with my Manthey by KW dampers. They're literally about to come off the car and after exploring a number of avenues go in a box to Meuspath!!!

I think I'll be on the phone to Cornering Force in the morning if that's a known-good route..?

Ah right.
I'm watching with interest then as mine are Manthey by KW. V3s.

I know Graham 'Coulstar" above sent his K1s to Cornering force in Harrogate and all they could do was test and diagnose. They told him they couldn't sort them, so he had to contact KW UK.

Good info though Cherbie, have you used Cornering force for the V3s?

How bad a bill from Manthey are we talking if you don't mind me asking?
I know my C2 V3s cost £400 for the front pair to be tested and refurbed by KW UK. They took about 3 weeks too. It was my mate who owned them at the time and he wasn't best pleased with the turnaround. :nooo:

PS. Gorgeous Exige Ben!
I was expecting a rough track hack for some reason. That looks show quality. Lovely job. 8)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back