Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What did you buy your 997 this week?

New exhaust gaskets and stainless exhaust bolts.

Glamorous I know.

Seems a common theme.
New exhaust gaskets (had a slight blow on one of them) and stainless exhaust bolts

C4Silver said:
This is achieved I believe by the engine having to work harder to keep the coolant up to temp ?

Sounds counter productive and illogical but if you read the relevant posts it all kind of makes sense ? I only read all this after I'd bought the kit, thinking that the way to go was increase cooling efficiency reduce the engine temp and hey presto...... but nope,

Any way this week....... I have mostly been buying a private plate !
😬

No, the thermostat is on the coolant inlet side of the engine, so the extra radiator capacity makes the coolant 'cooler', this cooler coolant then hits the thermostat when coming into the engine, causing the thermostat to close... Causing the engine to run slightly hotter.

The centre radiator thermostat opens only when the factory radiators & fans cannot maintain the coolant temperature, thus diverting to the extra radiator only when required, reducing 'excess' cooling capacity and the above closing thermostat scenario.

bullet-proof_biscuit said:
No, the thermostat is on the coolant inlet side of the engine, so the extra radiator capacity makes the coolant 'cooler', this cooler coolant then hits the thermostat when coming into the engine, causing the thermostat to close... Causing the engine to run slightly hotter.

The centre radiator thermostat opens only when the factory radiators & fans cannot maintain the coolant temperature, thus diverting to the extra radiator only when required, reducing 'excess' cooling capacity and the above closing thermostat scenario.

Hertsdriver said:
Good stuff, most (like me) are/were unaware that fitting an additional rad actually increases engine temps (which is completely counter intuitive) so if you have found a way around this it would be good if you could post up a 'how to' to help others out, especially if you have a link to the part number of the inline thermostat you've used :thumb:

:thumbs:

Brunty88 said:
2 of these

Whats the spec on your Intercoolers Brunty ?

As my car started to suffer with the drivers door window dropping when the door handle was pulled, but immediately returning to the closed position as soon as the door handle was let go, I bought a new door lock. The micro switches inside the unit start to fail eventually and they aren't really user replaceable.

img_1030.jpg

From Design911 it comes in at £219.65 with VAT and delivery which I thought was a bit steep.

After a bit of googling of part numbers I found the above, which is destined for a Volkswagen Golf Mk5 right hand side door, on ebay for £17.89, over £200 cheaper.

Spot the difference....

img_1029.jpg

....not a huge amount and nothing needed changing or swapping over from the original unit.

The clip that connects the external door handle to the lock is a weak point and although the original was OK....

img_1034.jpg

....as the new lock didn't come with a new one (obviously)....

img_1033.jpg

....I decided it would be prudent to order a fresh one.

img_1035.jpg

The new lock's now fitted, a bit of a fiddly job but not too difficult, and the window now behaves as it's meant to once again.

It's nice when you can avoid the Porsche tax! :D

You should be commended for finding out that the Golf part is the same as the 997.

Great work.

side stripes in Dark Grey anthra.

same for my summer wheels.

Attachments

• img_6949_146.jpg
    img_6949_146.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 3,438
  • img_6950_176.jpg
    img_6950_176.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 3,431
Bilstein B4 front PASM dampers
Rear pads, discs and sensors
Major service with air filter and plugs
4 x Pirelli P-Zeros
Turbo alloys from eBay
Double Din Pioneer DAB head unit and facia
LED rear number plate bulbs
Porsche indoor cover

An expensive week.

On Planet TVR we have a series of 'alternative parts' lists, because:
A - the part came from a donor car
B - the replacement comes with TVR Tax (not as bad as Porsche tax but similar)
C - the part was cheap, nasty and flawed and there is now a better replacement

These are very useful lists to have, especially if you DIY or want your indie to save you a load of money.

Rich

rickprice said:
On Planet TVR we have a series of 'alternative parts' lists, because:
A - the part came from a donor car
B - the replacement comes with TVR Tax (not as bad as Porsche tax but similar)
C - the part was cheap, nasty and flawed and there is now a better replacement

These are very useful lists to have, especially if you DIY or want your indie to save you a load of money.

Rich

I started one here

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=136275

Add away !

Not actually this week but over the last few months...

1) Ohlins - Front shocks were weeping and MOT failure, so, in for a penny in for a pound
2) Had a day at Silverstone Porsche Experience Centre - Boiled the brake fluid, so adding GT3 brake ducts. Rear brake ducts and uprated brake fluid / pads to follow....
3) LED vs Halogen Headlights

Attachments

• ohlins_204.jpg
    ohlins_204.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 3,009
  • brake_ducts_147.jpg
    brake_ducts_147.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 3,009
  • halogen_152.jpg
    halogen_152.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 3,009
  • led_731.jpg