Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

BANG - no rear screen.

Tombri

Nurburgring
Driving along on the west coast of Scotland near Oban last Sunday morning when there was a loud bang. Looking in the rear view mirror showed the rear screen totally shattered.

It had been wet and the car was misted up but the rear screen demister was working a treat. The last time I switched it on I must have left it on for a few minutes after the screen had demisted for a few minutes and then the screen went a minute or so after I switched it off.

I suspect the rear screen was the original one but does anyone know why this might have happened?

It had the third brake light fitted at the top of the screen. Will I need to get a new set of fixings and will is Mr Autoglass likely to know how to fit it or is that out with his job spec? :?:

It's not uncommon for this to happen in air-cooled and might be a factor of ageing glass and a rear demister element that has the ability to melt cheese. :?

Good opportunity to have a look under the surround when it comes out and despite what some may say I've met a few mainstream glass fitters who have experience of working on older cars and know some of the issues.

I think when the rear spoiler/brake light comes off you can secure the reatining brackets back down with double sided tape although I do believe OPC supply the kit.

Thanks Zingari - I reckon the cause must have been the combination as you say.

I do have a £1 size of 'bubbling' on the scuttle so a good chance to get that repaired and an inspection of the rest.

Would you think double sided tape would be better/as good as an epoxy glue...? Nervous about pressure washing/rain etc could make the tape come unstuck.

Here are the shots...

Attachments

• img_20191008_wa0005_190.jpg
    img_20191008_wa0005_190.jpg
    310.8 KB · Views: 3,182
  • rear_screen_139.jpg
    rear_screen_139.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 3,182
Its amazing bang when they go, I had a new BMW sunroof explode last year during the hot summer, it blew when I opened it electronically then expanded & bang, the dealer & BMW UK wouldn't fix it under warranty they said it must have been hit by grit or a small stone previously, bollox it was due to temperature.

They happen all over the world in hot & cold climates Canada & Texas are often the case.
Funny thing was when I paid through Insurance £1000 + for the new unit it was a thicker different glass.
I would say a temperature change has done yours :?:

Tempered glass can fail due to many reasons, and it is quite dramatic when it happens. There has been numerous rear glass damages after short circuits in the third brake lighting wiring, discussed several times on the Rennlist forums. The third brake light wires are printed on the glass, just like the heater wiring. A short circuit will build up a lot of heat on one spot, causing the glass to shatter.
In short, if you have the window-mounted third brake light, check the wiring, if you don't have it, disconnect the wiring to the light under the rear shelf.
Cheers,
Tore

Thanks Tore.
When I took the outer rubber off the screen I could see there was a bit of water in the channels around the screen, so maybe this is the problem. This is where there was bit of corrosion.

There seemed to be 3 wires attached to the bottom of the screen. Would 2 be for the heater element and the other for the 3rd brake light? If so which one is the brake light wire?

I have upgraded the 3rd brake light with your wonderful HID upgrade and I definitely want it reinstalled. Should I get it rewired?
Cheers.

sorry to hear about the rear screen ... but that interior looks stunning :thumbs: . Black car with red in one of my favorite combos :thumbs:

Thanks James - I think it is called Flamenco red.
Many years ago I had a white 944 turbo with red can can interior which was a bit 'in your face', but suited the 80's :dance:

Thank you very much Tore.
You are a Norwegian legend. :thumb:

Black with Flamenco, just like mine! Love it: it's what drew me to buying my car.

Those are some great mods HarryK.
Do you have any photos of the interior and dials?
:worship:

There are a few on my Instagram @hskular

On dad duties so I have 10 seconds to write this!

I had exactly the same thing happen to me in my c4 last year - first day of our drive down to the south of France.

Attachments

• img_9250_460.jpg
    img_9250_460.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 2,246

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back