Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New Engine for my GT3.....

Aikidoka

I bought my 991.1 GT3 in February from Redline, who were great. I have done a series of modifications such as DSC, Brooke Race Exhaust, an homage to the 917 Gulf (slightly darker blue) wrap and reverse camera.

I go for spirited drives with a couple of friends, early mornings when the roads are clear. I was over a humped back bridge at speed and hit 9,000 rpm and it went into limp mode....but cleared when the engine restarted. The fault code was for over revving, possibly due to being aerial and wheels turning faster than the engine. Anyway I continued with a few more spirited drives and it kept happening. I had 9e look at and they thought it might be the gear box, due to the fault codes and after investigation plus new spark plugs and coil packs said it was definitely the engine (painful bill, but needed to check). So off to Porsche and I thankfully chose Porsche Guildford and the team there Mark, Tim and Kevin have been excellent.

They spent a few days investigating it and running a series of tests and said my modifications did not invalidate the engine warranty. I bought the car in full knowledge it had the 10 year or 120k mile engine warranty and Porsche are honouring it.

The car comes back next week, so well done Porsche and the Guildford team.

Have just heard they are fitting a new 3.8 litre with upgraded parts. Has anyone had the same issue or any problems with this latest 3.8?

Aikidoka said:
Have just heard they are fitting a new 3.8 litre with upgraded parts. Has anyone had the same issue or any problems with this latest 3.8?

Depends on what version of the engine you are on, as they have always been (as with all Porsche parts) in a state of constant upgrade / development as the parts supply and tech insight is always changing

Aikidoka said:

The last I heard, the 991.1 GT3 engine was on revision G... No idea on whether they have needed to go further into the alphabet than that. :?:

I'm surprised the 991.1 has held its value so well. I wouldn't go near one with that engine.

991.2GTS said:
I'm surprised the 991.1 has held its value so well. I wouldn't go near one with that engine.

Indeed! it will go down in history as the 996 of the GT world.

991.2GTS said:

I'd suggest the 10 year 120,000 mile engine warranty has propped values up. It seems quite water tight as the OP has found out (even more so considering his signature suggests an aftermarket exhaust is fitted)

Most of these will still have at least 5 years of this warranty remaining currently, once this gets down to under 2 years I reckon values will start on a steeper downward trajectory.

kas750 said:
991.2GTS said:

I almost wrote that last night when I saw this thread.
Great that current owners have this extended engine warranty but jeez, what a terrible blip in the GT3 lineage.
It'll be a brave man who buys one of these once they're 10 years old. :eek:

I know I never will. :nooo:
(Although to be fair I wouldn't anyway due to 'PDK only".)

Wow, could have been an expensive blat! Great result though in the end.
I find it impressive that Porsche are covering the engine, bearing in mind how the damage occurred. I dont have a warranty (far from it lol) but if I did I would be chuffed at that outcome. I imagine a new motor would be the best part of 30k from OPC?

Probably Porsches best ever car with a chocolate engine. Its all thats really stopped me pulling the trigger. I would suspect that 10 year warranty may however extend out to 15 as the cut off point approaches, otherwise the values will surely plummet :nooo:

Tell you what though, if you can kill your engine by over-revving it and Porsche will still honour the warranty they must be cr@pping themselves about the state of the engine. I would have thought that after a significant overrev you would be on your own.

MC

With the possible exception of the uk winner of the Euromillions this week, you must be about the luckiest guy in the country right now! With your aftermarket exhaust and DSC box, combined with the over revs I'm amazed they didn't reject the claim! Possibly an indicator of a) how bad the situation is on those cars and b) how much labour they'll earn on the job from the warranty account.

Great result for you though.

(Oh and I obviously don't know the area, but 9000rpm at speed over a hump-backed bridge??? Wow! Just... Wow!) :eek:

I am lucky, but then Porsche know of the various issues and have been good to their word and honoured the warranty. My engine was an e series and the new one is a g series.

Has anyone heard of any issues with the g series?

The mechanics have told me it is quite different to the previous one.

Thanks

kas750 said:
991.2GTS said:

:dont know:

I see what you mean, but it's confusing, given the 996 GT3 was the original and a very good car. I had to really think about what you'd written there.

To my mind, aside from the engine (and yes, there have been instances of the G revision letting go, as per the other thread linked to) there are also:
* PDK gearbox
* Rear Wheel Steering

Both of the above are going to add another degree of complication to looking after a 991 that's 10+ years old.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
911tt1
Back