Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Hardbacks lumbar cushion

nickjonesn4

Evening all, does any supplier make a replacement lumbar support for the hardback seats. The drivers side foam has collapsed and it would appear to be an easy swap if someone makes it?

Southbound would be my best guess. Although I'm not sure if Porsche can still supply the interior foam sections from their classic warehouse :dont know:

Or you could just stuff an old T-shirt behind the padding. Works a treat :thumb:

hi chaps.. so do the seat insets just pull out? Just velcro'd in?

Dream911 said:
Or you could just stuff an old T-shirt behind the padding. Works a treat :thumb:

I used to do that as my hardbacks were so uncomfortable, in the end, re enforcing the seat cushions themselves transformed the seats to comfortable!!

No more T shirt application!!

Thanks all, will try the various suggested approaches and report back

in the long term I think I will have them re-stuffed but not retrimmed as the leather is good and I like the patina.

Is there a way of lightening the seats I wonder? Different rails, lighter foam etc

Love the look of these seats so would like to keep but lose some weight??

nickjonesn4 said:
Is there a way of lightening the seats I wonder? Different rails, lighter foam etc

Only if you export it to Moonbase Alpha.

I'm not sure what loosing a few Kgs for the seats will achieve when there are easier ways like stripping out the AC, lightweight battery etc

Zingari said:
nickjonesn4 said:

I'm not sure what loosing a few Kgs for the seats will achieve when there are easier ways like stripping out the AC, lightweight battery etc

ha fair point. Am on the case with the battery and some other elements but wouldn't lose the aircon.

Zingari said:
nickjonesn4 said:

A ridiculous suggestion, Moonbase Alpha is in an un known orbit anyway, due to the explosion of the nuclear waste dump!! So how would you even get them there.......??

nickjonesn4 said:

in the long term I think I will have them re-stuffed but not retrimmed as the leather is good and I like the patina.

A vanilla 993 is a heavy old thing. But being hell-bent on making it lighter rather misses the point . . .
:bandit:

HPNer said:
nickjonesn4 said:

A vanilla 993 is a heavy old thing. But being hell-bent on making it lighter rather misses the point . . .

Yes agreed partially in that I wouldn't lose the carpets or aircon but all the various functional upgrades I've made have the added benefit of the components being lighter and or stiffer. I'd been looking at seats primarily from a comfort POV as I have a lumbar problem but with the added benefit of saving a few kilos. In the intervening months I've decided I like the look of the hardbacks too much to part with them so they will be getting upgraded with comfort firat then weight as the priorities.

for comfort I don't think you can beat the bog standard seat .just a bit heavy

I really don't get the Hardback love in 993's. Had them in my previous 2S and was disappointed with their support considering they're marketed as a "Sports Seat".
The earlier 993 Big Bolster Sports Seats are streets ahead in both Comfort & Support and IMO look far better.

Horses for courses... good luck getting the foam sorted. ;)

C.

cableguy said:
I really don't get the Hardback love in 993's. Had them in my previous 2S and was disappointed with their support considering they're marketed as a "Sports Seat".
The earlier 993 Big Bolster Sports Seats are streets ahead in both Comfort & Support and IMO look far better.

Horses for courses... good luck getting the foam sorted. ;)

C.
Interesting point, and I quite agree. Mine has the original Sports seats you mention (but completely restored by Southbound), but I was always rather envious of the Hardbacks . . . until I sat and drove a car with them in. Truly an uncomfortable, rather cheaply made seat, made for admiration, rather than driving pleasure . . . In my humble opinion of course!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back