Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New to 991.1 - start stop - good or bad for engine?

Surely stop/start makes sense when you're caught in really slow moving traffic when you're stationary for periods of time that makes it worth not emitting fumes, but totally get its not good when you're only stopping for a few seconds at a time.

Sport button solves it, also solves the PDK in auto always wanting to change up to the point of labouring the engine. Only other 991 irritation for me is the door trim/switches are prone to buzzing depending on the music being played through the speakers :x

The start/stop button is just a tax fiddle by manufacturers to make cars more sellable.

MJA911 said:
Surely stop/start makes sense when you're caught in really slow moving traffic when you're stationary for periods of time that makes it worth not emitting fumes, but totally get its not good when you're only stopping for a few seconds at a time.

Sport button solves it, also solves the PDK in auto always wanting to change up to the point of labouring the engine. Only other 991 irritation for me is the door trim/switches are prone to buzzing depending on the music being played through the speakers :x

I thought it was only me, works well on a 991 (on the rare occasions that Sport isnt activated)

pzero said:
Hamster75 said:
As soon as I get to go I disable it by selecting sport mode, end of, then enjoy, they do sound fantastic.
Absolutely love mine, its does take a little while to find how all works & personally I love the manual mode in PDK can drive it in the gear you want, short shift & if you forget it changes down for you when you come to a stop or slow right down, their ace when you suss them out. :thumbs:

^^^^^^^^^
This.

Absolutely the first thing I do after starting up is to select sport mode, and then manual.
Simples.

but then the shift points in auto are daft.....so i have some spirited driving in manual....then i knock it over to auto to waft about....and i have silly shift points... and possibly no coast, and no start stop( I will need to check this). And sport doesnt take off the traction control?

greenchef said:
For instance. START STOP, we have a button to turn it off(if we are worried about 'things', wearing out starters etc...). But when you turn off the start stop function.......I swear it turns off the coast function on the PDK box. I would not expect coast to work if i'm in manual mode, but in full auto i like coast mode.....im just wafting about and i want the car as economical as possible.

You also lose coast mode with traction control off( and you also lose the start stop!! Jeeez i got a button for that if i want to turn if off.) ....

I can confirm that the coast mode is disabled when you turn off the auto stop/ start and likewise the traction control, all to aid economy. I discovered the same thing just last week on our recently acquired Macan D. I hate the stop/ start system on any car and it must put additional strain on all starting components.

greenchef said:
pzero said:
Hamster75 said:
As soon as I get to go I disable it by selecting sport mode, end of, then enjoy, they do sound fantastic.
Absolutely love mine, its does take a little while to find how all works & personally I love the manual mode in PDK can drive it in the gear you want, short shift & if you forget it changes down for you when you come to a stop or slow right down, their ace when you suss them out. :thumbs:

^^^^^^^^^
This.

Absolutely the first thing I do after starting up is to select sport mode, and then manual.
Simples.

but then the shift points in auto are daft.....so i have some spirited driving in manual....then i knock it over to auto to waft about....and i have silly shift points... and possibly no coast, and no start stop( I will need to check this). And sport doesnt take off the traction control?

Each to their own of course, and how you choose to drive is a matter for you, but just because one is in sports mode doesnt mean that one has to drive in a spirited fashion 100% of the time. I take your word for how 991 PDK performs in auto mode :grin:

G2 said:
My Startup procedure was start the car, start/stop off, sport mode on, Sports exhaust set to loud...bet a high proportion of owners do the same.

Contrarian view, but the 991 burbles are a bit artificial as the car plays the same tune every time on downshifts regardless of speed :coat:

You do know if you hit the sport button it automatically turns start/stop off and puts the exhaust on?

Have I just saved you some time :mrgreen:

gilford said:
G2 said:
My Startup procedure was start the car, start/stop off, sport mode on, Sports exhaust set to loud...bet a high proportion of owners do the same.

Contrarian view, but the 991 burbles are a bit artificial as the car plays the same tune every time on downshifts regardless of speed :coat:

You do know if you hit the sport button it automatically turns start/stop off and puts the exhaust on?

Thx. Car sold so no buttons to press now :pc:

Allan E said:
greenchef said:
For instance. START STOP, we have a button to turn it off(if we are worried about 'things', wearing out starters etc...). But when you turn off the start stop function.......I swear it turns off the coast function on the PDK box. I would not expect coast to work if i'm in manual mode, but in full auto i like coast mode.....im just wafting about and i want the car as economical as possible.

You also lose coast mode with traction control off( and you also lose the start stop!! Jeeez i got a button for that if i want to turn if off.) ....

I can confirm that the coast mode is disabled when you turn off the auto stop/ start and likewise the traction control, all to aid economy. I discovered the same thing just last week on our recently acquired Macan D. I hate the stop/ start system on any car and it must put additional strain on all starting components.

I don't hate the start stop, still undecided. I want the car as econ as possible most of the time....

I would have made it sooo simple, if you are in manual, no coast, no start stop, no traction, no kickdown. In auto all those on again. Best way to get this, allow driver to pick his options, one set for manual, one set for auto. You get in the car and all you do is push the pdk stick to where you want it......simple.

For me there overlapping option choices are not logical at all.... I thought germans were supposed to be logical!

Im sure i will get used to the endless button pushing, as i try to switch between econ and spirited driving! :pc:

gilford said:
G2 said:

yeah....but sport gives you daft shifts in auto (ie when i trying to be economical!) I wont be convinced on this. Its a daft set up! Should have had two sets of 'options' and they should be linked to the pdk stick(manual OR auto mode)

i feel the logic was perhaps put together by a very elderly Italian lady.

greenchef said:
gilford said:
G2 said:

yeah....but sport gives you daft shifts in auto (ie when i trying to be economical!) I wont be convinced on this. Its a daft set up! Should have had two sets of 'options' and they should be linked to the pdk stick(manual OR auto mode)

Most of the time I drive in manual.

But if you like the auto mode (and why not), there are firms out there who will remap your gearbox software, and change the shift points, so you can have economy mode (ie without shifting up to 7th in 50 yards and then shiting back down about 6 years when you want to get going) and a sport mode that doesn't only shift at 7500rpm, or whatever you want...

I'd want the box mapped to remove the kickdown in manual mode which I find to be completely illogical.

MaxA said:
I don't have start-stop on the 997, but it does annoy in the wifey's car, as the engine turns off just when you need to go (so I turn it off)!

In the 997, I have a 'pre-flight sequence', starting with turning the engine on. While it's warming up (or before the revs drop below 1000rpm), there's plenty of time to put the seat belt on, close the door, mute the stereo, and then press sport, PASM Sport on, noise on and then click into manual... :dont know:
Same for me! But we should all remember that while Stop Start is annoying.....it is going to help save our planet!

MaxA said:
I don't have start-stop on the 997, but it does annoy in the wifey's car, as the engine turns off just when you need to go (so I turn it off)!

In the 997, I have a 'pre-flight sequence', starting with turning the engine on. While it's warming up (or before the revs drop below 1000rpm), there's plenty of time to put the seat belt on, close the door, mute the stereo, and then press sport, PASM Sport on, noise on and then click into manual... :dont know:

Im gona assume this is sarcasam..... preflight seq....do a, b, c, d, e, f........y....then Drice. Everytime you start the car...So daily you gota go through this bs at least twice..... on a nice road trip to the lakes with numerous stop offs, you do this....8-9times...?! So badly thought out by porsche. Took me about 2 mins with the car to work out a better way of doing this..

greenchef said:
MaxA said:
I have a 'pre-flight sequence', starting with turning the engine on. While it's warming up (or before the revs drop below 1000rpm), there's plenty of time to put the seat belt on, close the door, mute the stereo, and then press sport, PASM Sport on, noise on and then click into manual... :dont know:

I'm gonna assume this is sarcasm..... preflight seq....do a, b, c, d, e, f........y....then Drive. Everytime you start the car...So daily you gotta go through this bs at least twice..... on a nice road trip to the lakes with numerous stop offs, you do this....8-9 times...?! So badly thought out by Porsche. Took me about 2 mins with the car to work out a better way of doing this..

I forgot to mention the lights, and the sunglasses, and (in the winter) the need to unplug the engine block heater in the morning.

Well, usually I just head out once the engine's warmed up a bit and then I start pressing buttons as the need arises.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back