Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

I just fitted this......

Shedman

After a long trip to Yorkshire and back to see the Cycling World Championships I parked the car up in its normal place but next morning when I started it the horn was stuck on.

Seeing multiple posts regarding the rubber grommets on the airbag frame I decided that was it and ordered one, mines a 97 so no risk of a new frame not fitting my wheel/airbag. Installation was a piece of cake following the steering wheel instructions on Pelican Parts.

I can drive it now without it seeming like a scene from Little Miss Sunshine.

Attachments

• ed63aa7e_460c_4f63_82d0_f95a32e33a53_532.jpeg
    ed63aa7e_460c_4f63_82d0_f95a32e33a53_532.jpeg
    95.3 KB · Views: 2,218
The eagle eyed may spot that that is the old frame and not the new one. So my subject title isn't absolutely correct.

I have a same year Targa as yours. I noticed in your European trip thread that you arrived back with the belt sensor pulley on the way out and now the rubbers on the airbag frame too. I have had exactly the same happen on my Targa over the last year. Interesting that they should go after the same length of time. My mileage is coming up to 84k, if yours is anywhere near the same it seems we can tie these things down to age AND mileage!

Albionmuz said:
I have a same year Targa as yours. I noticed in your European trip thread that you arrived back with the belt sensor pulley on the way out and now the rubbers on the airbag frame too. I have had exactly the same happen on my Targa over the last year. Interesting that they should go after the same length of time. My mileage is coming up to 84k, if yours is anywhere near the same it seems we can tie these things down to age AND mileage!

Hi there Albionmuz. Mine is around 86k and 1997 so all looks similar. To me on the original one the metal shafts in the middle of the rubber grommets seemed to bind on the bolt so that the rubber was twisted when originally fitting. That may be the cause. The new one didn't to have the same issue.

This afternoon I'm going to try and replicate rain leaks above the door A pillar to see what's going on.

Shedman said:
Albionmuz said:

Hi there Albionmuz. Mine is around 86k and 1997 so all looks similar. To me on the original one the metal shafts in the middle of the rubber grommets seemed to bind on the bolt so that the rubber was twisted when originally fitting. That may be the cause. The new one didn't to have the same issue.

This afternoon I'm going to try and replicate rain leaks above the door A pillar to see what's going on.

Shame you are not nearer Precision Porsche, deMort is the Targa guru. He sorted my squeaks and leaks, massive difference after he worked his magic. Been leak free for a year now

Yep I had the same on my 97 Targa, mine started tooting whilst on left turns, bloody embarrassing whilst out on my first drive since restoration. Mrs was laughing her head off.

I also have a leak on my roof on passenger side above the A pillar, I have details of how it's fixed using butyl behind the door seal.

Trev

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back