Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Full wrap?

ireid

I'd be interested in what people think of the idea of changing the colour of your car by having a full wrap. Is it a sensible thing to do or should you never even consider it?

For the purpose of this question take it as given that it would be top quality vinyl (3M or Avery) and that it would be applied by an outfit with a good reputation.

Comments invited.

The Porsche establishment don't really like mods of any kind, let alone a wrap. However its your car and your choice, so go with what floats your boat.

Example...

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3OoOSKglaf/?igshid=t8uxp7rq3ndf

Another example....If purple is your thing....

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bz2lRyJlj0L/?igshid=1vhgof6245fgb

Wraps can look great if fitted professionally and to the casual user look like a new / different paint job. Some people use a wrap to just add a small bit of personalisation to their car, for example wrapping the roof in black ( to help lower the profile stance ) or to wrap a rear wing, or add some very small details etc, others obviously go the full hog and change the look of the entire car.

They are however not cheap (if done properly), so think wisely about colour choice and your chosen company to actually wrap the car. Prices will differ a fair bit based on the type of wrap used as well as how far the car is stripped to apply the physical wrap and folding the new vinyl around/ over edges etc.

Only other things worth mentioning... if you have fresh paint on the car, ( that has been professionally applied ) don't wrap the car for at least a month to six weeks otherwise you risk damaging the clear coat and final finish. Make sure the car is clean and free of any blemishes / dents etc as a wrap will exaggerate these in perfections. Also worth noting its not going to protect the cars original paintwork like a PPF film as wraps are significantly thinner.

If you are using a good quality company, good quality films you will have no problems with install or removal as just like PPF films the quality of the glues and vinyls has moved on quite a bit over the past few years. You can probably thank the " You Tube " clan for that (':thumb:'). Just remember the wrap is not meant to be a permanent colour change... that's what a paint job is for !

Just out of curio... what car do you have, what colour is it and what are your thoughts on colour change?

Jungle

I'm buying a 981 Spyder. Its Metallic White which looks good but I feel a car like that deserves to look a bit special, so I'm thinking something like Miami Blue or Voodoo Blue. 3M and Avery have a lot of great colours.

I do intend to keep the car indefinitely (current and future Porsches are never going to sound this good again) and I would consider a total respray if I was confident of the quality of the outcome . . .

Blues always look good in my opinion, especially the more navy colour variants.

You haven't stated where you are based otherwise I might be able to suggest a few places. My advice would be to check businesses close to you or go with some recommendations in your local area. Have a good look at the quality of their work, talk to other customers, ask Q's like Will they inspect the wrap a month or two down the line as a follow up service to ensure its all good etc ? Does it come with any guarantees ? , Just make sure wherever you choose gives you a good vibe when you discuss your requirements and physically visit them. Wraps are not cheap, so you want it done right.

Best of luck
Jungle

Thanks JUngle. I guess you are not familiar with the 3 Ridings of Yorkshire! Leeds is my nearest large city.
There is an outfit called Reforma in Bradford that appears OK and another near Leeds called the VehicleWrappingCentre. Would welcome any recommendations for others in the North, and indeed spray shops, if you happen to know of any.

I did a wrap on mine late last year for two reasons, I've had the car for a good few years and fancied a change and the paint will need a respray at some point soon so thought I would have a wrap for a while until the time comes to paint it.
Because I did the wrap myself there is some peeling and I'm constantly repairing panels but I'm happy doing this when I need to.

I love the Lapis Blue that is under the wrap but the wrap being a lighter and modern blue makes it stand out from the usual.

uXezyqA.jpg

Looks good, although you're a braver man than me going DIY.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back