Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

It's been emotional....

Fulla

Well after over 10 years with my 993 C4S it is time to move on.
This friday I will have a new sensible daily driver, it's still a 911 and for me still has the design language of what I love about 911's.
All being well I pick up my 997.1 GT3 CS, some have suggested this isn't a sensible daily and that I am slightly mad....but it is bigger inside, the dog will have more room in the back where Porsche has kindly fitted a dog cage of sorts which means I can secure him unlike the 993, progress you see...
It's got cup holders! And these are a fantastically designed bit of kit. It's got a fire extinguisher in the passenger seat for added security. The seats have better seatbelts, instead of the normal ones that go over 1 shoulder these newer ones go over both shoulders. It has cruise control, which I assume is for either Hampstead Heath or Kings Road driving in London. No idea what the cruise control does but I'll report back once I have tried it. There is a built in thingy for my phone so hopefully I will be able to use hands free and it has carbon bits!
(caveat - if it's too much for a daily I have a plan b, well plan 2 - Audi A2)
Truly have loved having the 993, if I had the space I probably would have kept it. But I feel I have done all I wanted in the time I have owned it and have hankered something newer and always wanted a GT3. Oddly test driving a 996 GT3 many years ago persuaded me to change from a 996 to 993...Whoever gets my car will be getting a great car that doesn't show it's age or mileage.
This sub-forum has also been a great source of knowledge and amusement and I feel honoured to have added my 2 pence here and there and also to have been a 993 owner. I'll no doubt pop in occasionally but for now it is onto pastures anew...

PS - I have a Weathershield HP cover I'll be soon putting in the forsale section is anyone is interested DM me.

Congrats on the new buy, its always exciting especially when you change cars so infrequently :thumb:

Will be interesting to see how you get on especially with the clubsport as a daily :dont know:

I assume yours is being traded in for it :?:

Welcome to the GT club chum :thumb:

And a fellow A2 owner it appears :worship:

jonttt said:
Congrats on the new buy, its always exciting especially when you change cars so infrequently :thumb:

Will be interesting to see how you get on especially with the clubsport as a daily :dont know:

I assume yours is being traded in for it :?:
Yes to RPM. They are finishing the 997 prep and have tuned the chassis to better suit.
I really don't do the kinda milage anymore that I did a few years back with the 993. If it is to harsh I'll take it to CofG who I know will make it feel like a magic(ish) carpet and if not there is always the A2 route.

Zingari said:
Welcome to the GT club chum :thumb:

And a fellow A2 owner it appears :worship:

Cheers, interested to hear more about the A2. I would need it to be ULEZ compliant for London and not sure if the diesel offers this or if I should g petrol. I have joined the A2 owners club as feel it's a good starting point when looking for them.
Had the pleasure of one years back as a courtesy car and couldn't believe how great it was.

I've had a A2 in the family since 2002 - max we had was 3 but now down to 2 and soon to 1 as we sell a relatives on.

They've all been 1.4Tdi(SE) and bar one experiment with the 90bhp best to stick to 75bhp. Not sure they will fit as ULEZ compliant given their age - low tax band but it's all about Euro compliance I think now :dont know:

Lot's of good stuff on the A2 forum and a very active membership akin to 993 owners but without the beard and sandals. Finding one with good spec, buttons on the climate control not rubbed off and enthusiast owned is key.

They are bulletproof and apart from eating drop links once a year they are £15pr and easy enough to change. My long termer is on 160k and in the 12+ yrs I've had it I only had the intercooler replaced (stone puncture) and basic servicing. The previous owner had mine re-mapped to push out 104bhp :oops:

Fulla said:
Well after over 10 years with my 993 C4S it is time to move on.
This friday I will have a new sensible daily driver, it's still a 911 and for me still has the design language of what I love about 911's.
All being well I pick up my 997.1 GT3 CS, some have suggested this isn't a sensible daily and that I am slightly mad....but it is bigger inside, the dog will have more room in the back where Porsche has kindly fitted a dog cage of sorts which means I can secure him unlike the 993, progress you see...
It's got cup holders! And these are a fantastically designed bit of kit. It's got a fire extinguisher in the passenger seat for added security. The seats have better seatbelts, instead of the normal ones that go over 1 shoulder these newer ones go over both shoulders. It has cruise control, which I assume is for either Hampstead Heath or Kings Road driving in London. No idea what the cruise control does but I'll report back once I have tried it. There is a built in thingy for my phone so hopefully I will be able to use hands free and it has carbon bits!
(caveat - if it's too much for a daily I have a plan b, well plan 2 - Audi A2)
Truly have loved having the 993, if I had the space I probably would have kept it. But I feel I have done all I wanted in the time I have owned it and have hankered something newer and always wanted a GT3. Oddly test driving a 996 GT3 many years ago persuaded me to change from a 996 to 993...Whoever gets my car will be getting a great car that doesn't show it's age or mileage.
This sub-forum has also been a great source of knowledge and amusement and I feel honoured to have added my 2 pence here and there and also to have been a 993 owner. I'll no doubt pop in occasionally but for now it is onto pastures anew...

PS - I have a Weathershield HP cover I'll be soon putting in the forsale section is anyone is interested DM me.

Great choice!GT3 daily
You could be living the SBSP dream route here :grin: I love the 991.1 GTS wanabee I have at the moment, but the GT3 itch isnt going away, hats off to you using a clubsport for a daily, lifes too short not to!

Im seriously considering binning the Merc C class and pooling that stash into the GT3 fund, leaving a couple of K over for the holy grail that is the A2 TDI 1500 quid runaround club.... Those things are built to last a lifetime, and in the age of the dead diesel, its a true-eco monster, massive mpg and still on the road, when the steel motors are bags of rust.

Looking forwards to the pics :worship:

Congrats on the GT3 CS, very nice.

I'm an A2 daily driver, fits my needs perfectly, including light company van duties. Mines the 1.4 tdi 75hp, I dont think the TDis are LEZ compliant :-(

If you have to go petrol for above try to keep to the 1.4, the 1.6FSI is a little sh*t of an engine, too many sensitive sensors that trip fault codes way to often.

Christ I didn't realise there where so many A2 owners on here!
I have learnt that newer petrol ones are ULEZ compliant. I am torn though as I live in Ealing and tend to drive out of London as opposed to into London so perhaps shouldn't get het up on that. Plus I think the GT3 is ULEZ so I can just use that if need be.....
I like the mpg I could get in the derv and can always get one mapped if I feel it needs some more oomph....I suspect the decision on A2 will happen either Saturday when the wife and I do the 1st big drive in the GT3 or....in a few weeks time when the wife will have to drive the GT3 or my 3.2 CS when the 3.2 goes for a service. She drove it once and hated the experience, although oddly prefers the seats in it to the 993..(Pole Position buckets)

Inside I hope I get the sign off for the A2 as I really want one now...Zingari if you are to be selling one perhaps I'll be your man, unless it's 25bags...:)

The one I'm selling is on 110k miles, mint inside but a few 'knocks/scrapes' on the outside where the father-in-law has used contact to signify he's got no further to go :roll: MIL wants £1,400 as she refuses to accept cars lose money :grin:

I've told her it's worth a bag which she has already turned down from someone and says it can be stored in the garage before she drops the price. :? Pointless given the fact she last drove when she passed her test in the 90s and FIL has surrendered his licence :nooo:

I'm working on her given it's me doing the legwork for free :bandit:

The holy grail is the A2 1.2Tdi only available in LHD :roll:

Fulla said:
Christ I didn't realise there where so many A2 owners on here!
I have learnt that newer petrol ones are ULEZ compliant. I am torn though as I live in Ealing and tend to drive out of London as opposed to into London so perhaps shouldn't get het up on that. Plus I think the GT3 is ULEZ so I can just use that if need be.....
I like the mpg I could get in the derv and can always get one mapped if I feel it needs some more oomph....I suspect the decision on A2 will happen either Saturday when the wife and I do the 1st big drive in the GT3 or....in a few weeks time when the wife will have to drive the GT3 or my 3.2 CS when the 3.2 goes for a service. She drove it once and hated the experience, although oddly prefers the seats in it to the 993..(Pole Position buckets)

Inside I hope I get the sign off for the A2 as I really want one now...Zingari if you are to be selling one perhaps I'll be your man, unless it's 25bags...:)

Mines a 52 plate, think they were made until 2005, so yes newer ones could be different. We have a flat in Chiswick that my wife uses in the week, that's just inside the zone next year (I think that's when it changes to the north and south circular, from current congestion zone?) Your outside that in Ealing I think.

It makes a great daily, I drive pretty much everywhere at full throttle :) and get 53 mpg. Cant get it any lower. Car tax is 30 squid. Best thing is it makes the 993 feel like a rocket ship :)

What a car to try next. Really like the 997 GT3, especially the noise they make!!!!!!!!! :thumbs:

The 997 version is especially appealing to me being the only GT3 that had the sunroof as an option. I like sunroofs.

Zingari said:
The one I'm selling is on 110k miles, mint inside but a few 'knocks/scrapes' on the outside where the father-in-law has used contact to signify he's got no further to go :roll: MIL wants £1,400 as she refuses to accept cars lose money :grin:

I've told her it's worth a bag which she has already turned down from someone and says it can be stored in the garage before she drops the price. :? Pointless given the fact she last drove when she passed her test in the 90s and FIL has surrendered his licence :nooo:

I'm working on her given it's me doing the legwork for free :bandit:

The holy grail is the A2 1.2Tdi only available in LHD :roll:

Isn't the 1.2 the 100mpg one? Sure they used that engine in a Polo as well.
Such a great design, I bet if released today it would still sell well. If it was a hybrid it would give the i3 I run for it's money.

My In laws had an A2 back in the day, a car that was 20 years ahead of its time and would not look out of place in any show room nowadays, my favourite bit of the whole car was the rear window, wished I'd kept it but they traded it in years ago for a Skoda Fabia VRS thingy,

The fabled 100 MPG Polo allegedly drove from Lands end to Jon O Groats where by it JUST made the fabled treble figure..... I think Around the same time a smart car did something very similar and maybe just pipped it, Another pointless fact for you....... Renault got wind of this new engine soon to be making its debut and breaking records, the only problem being it was a 3 cylinder unit and NOT a 3 Litre lump as they had been informed, the Clio sport rear engined car made its debut to an already stale Polo launch that never actually happened as they were sold a duff, Renault were anticipating an alleged VR6 engined Polo which they tried to compete with and by all accounts won ?

Friday I collected the car, I was nervous to be honest. Would it be too stiff for a daily? Would the gear change be too notchy? Would the wife have a fit when she saw the cage and enquired about where the dog would sit....
Well it all went amazingly well, yes the wife did raise an eye about the cage. But I will have that removed so that there is room in the back for the dog. I am thinking of getting some kind of custom fitted shelf in the rear over the rear seat indentations. Like the 3.2 CS maybe. Or just fill it in with foam cut to fill and covered with carpet/fabric.
Not everyones cup of tea but I won't be tracking it and it needs to fit in with my use of it.
Well what a surprise, the RPM team set the chassis up to be more road focused. Yes it isn't a smooth as the 993 I had but it's not that far off. The steering is sublime and less stiff then the 993. The clutch is softer, the gear change is notchy but is like the riffle bolt I have read about. And everything gets better once it has heated through.
And OMG the power, I can't see ever getting bored of it. I had the opportunity to stretch it out a few times this weekend and it makes me giggle. Can't believe it is mine!
I got to see the 993 on the ramp at RPM to say a final good-bye. I had no pangs emotionally as I was getting a GT3. It was nice to hear that the techs looking it over where amazed it had done 165k, several had driven it and said it was like it had done 65k. So 1 chapter closes and another opens. Looking forward to getting to know the GT3 and popping in here from time to time.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back