Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Replace PA1000 original alarm?

Thanks very much for that shortlist. Toad Ai606 seems to pop up very often, even though its at least 10 years old!
With choosing the Clifford 650 I guess you conceded you won't be able to have item #1 from your opening post?

Counter Of Beans said:
I decided on the Clifford 650 and it's booked in to be done, on my driveway, for £500 in two weeks time. Will update in due course.
Intrigued to know how it all went, and of course your first impressions (of the alarm and immobiliser compared to what you had before) :).

Clifford alarm was installed on Wednesday, it took about three hours and cost me £499. I'm very pleased, the car looks the same visually but the new alarm has some good features - for example there's a proximity warning; it buzzes if you peer into the window up close. Plus it is all new and won't drain the battery or leave me stranded. I just didn't trust a 24 year old alarm system.

You're right, Ch3tman, in that I still have two "fobs"; an alarm one and a Porsche key. Inti Patel, who runs Dragon Alarms, doesn't think it's possible to have one fob that does ignition/doors/alarm/immobiliser with the systems that he sells. It's not a big problem since the Clifford fob is fairly compact.

I'd certainly recommend Dragon; they are based Portsmouth and cover Hants/Sussex/Berks/Dorset and Inti is a really nice guy who knows his stuff.

Counter Of Beans , thank you!
All sounds very positive :thumbs: the proximity warning feature especially, pretty flash 8).

Did you have the existing H&P setup completed ripped out? Also, how is the immobiliser activated/deactivated now as I assume you no longer have the blade?

Counter Of Beans said:
You're right, Ch3tman, in that I still have two "fobs"; an alarm one and a Porsche key. Inti Patel, who runs Dragon Alarms, doesn't think it's possible to have one fob that does ignition/doors/alarm/immobiliser with the systems that he sells. It's not a big problem since the Clifford fob is fairly compact.
Looking at the Clifford 650 kit, assume this is the fob you now have?

Clifford-5204.png

Are all of the buttons functional? Interested to see how you've got things set up! :D

Hello Ch3tman, yes I had the existing H&P 1000 removed - I think this makes it easier for the installer since they use the same routing / siren location for the new alarm's cabling. I didn't have a blade for the immobiliser, just the fob with a recessed button and a protruding button.

The fob that you picture is exactly what I now have. The top button arms/disarms the system and remotely locks the car. I don't think it's possible to have every possible function in an old car like the 993 - remote start, for instance, which is the "*" button. The button at the narrow end is the "G5" button and this enables things like smart windows, switching on accessories and enabling the valet function which you need when the car is being serviced or repaired.

The owner's guide runs to 30+ pages and I expect there's lots of functions that I won't ever use. Then again, this alarm isn't any more expensive than its rivals so I'm fine with that.

jonttt said:
I like the H&P original installation. I think its part of the genuine heritage of the cars and I'm one for 'improving" wherever possible. It does the trick in that the immobilisor works as does the alarm system. The only inconvenience is the auto immobilisor after 30 secs if you have not started the car, but you just press the button again.

These alarms are very reliable with the biggest problem being :

- the siren rechargeable battery going so needs a new siren. After market are easy to swap or you can source an original

- more commonly the red master fob is lost which is required to program a new fob to the unit. So when people get a car with only one fob and no master they end up replacing the system. You can get a new board and master fob from H&P (or at least you could a few years ago).

Part of the charm of the car is the original fob and system. If it was not up to the job I would change it but it is so I havn't :bandit:

I like the original setup. Had the problem that I only had one original remote and no red master. So got in touch with H&P removed drivers seat and the main control board sent the lot off to them and three days later received the renewed board two new fobs and a red master. Couple of hours later all back together and works like a charm.

Probably the easiest job I have done on the car so far!

How recently was that? When I spoke to them 2 years ago they didn't seem interested. So, I let RPM Technik, who I purchased the car from, replace it with a similar looking setup and I've been very pleased with it.

Hi

I quite like the original system. It seems better than the highly encrypted keyless systems that come with modern cars. It would appear that these can be stolen at will. Maybe that is why my sisters BMW X series is now so expensive to insure that she is having to sell it.

Berni

The PA1000 is horrible.
I slung it all out (along with some form of Cobra system which was also fitted previously) a mass of wiring and rubbish.
Installed Bergvill's T-Lock system. Has a little fob that uses the built in central locking to open the doors and activates Porsche's built in alarm on closure.
I also have a cheap Tracker from Mr Wong's Emporium which is linked to my phone.
Perfect.

HPNer said:
The PA1000 is horrible.
I slung it all out (along with some form of Cobra system which was also fitted previously) a mass of wiring and rubbish.
Installed Bergvill's T-Lock system. Has a little fob that uses the built in central locking to open the doors and activates Porsche's built in alarm on closure.
I also have a cheap Tracker from Mr Wong's Emporium which is linked to my phone.
Perfect.

Couldn't agree more and I have a similar system.

The PA1000 is a 90's device and things have moved on. If it works then fine. If it's broke then rip it out and install something upto date. :thumb:

C.

My original alarm was replaced by a laserline in about 2003 and this has proved to be a good reliable system.

My Insurance company insisted on a Thatcham Cat 1 system at the time.

hopeydaze said:
How recently was that? When I spoke to them 2 years ago they didn't seem interested. So, I let RPM Technik, who I purchased the car from, replace it with a similar looking setup and I've been very pleased with it.

I believe it was November 2019

Probably a silly question, but are there any aftermarket alarms where the key fob does not look like cheap low quality *****?

The alternative would be to find someone that can cnc a piece of aluminum to hold both the key and the circuit board from one of the fobs. But that seems a bit extreme.

Here's what the Cobra fob looks like. I think you get used to whatever you have. For me, the reliability of a system that actually works beats all.

Attachments

• 20200814_112722_662.jpg
    20200814_112722_662.jpg
    291.5 KB · Views: 1,716
  • 20200814_112128_250.jpg
    20200814_112128_250.jpg
    398 KB · Views: 1,716
nk993 said:
Probably a silly question, but are there any aftermarket alarms where the key fob does not look like cheap low quality *****?

The alternative would be to find someone that can cnc a piece of aluminum to hold both the key and the circuit board from one of the fobs. But that seems a bit extreme.

You don't need a fancy fob for a 993 chum as this is the giveaway it's your car in the car park :thumb:

B3-DY628_201905_G_20190509154058.gif

90s alarms belong in the bin unless the company can be bothered to update it in line with modern technology. But then why bother when Mr Wong et al can knock them out from China :roll:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back