Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

I''ve decided to expand on the GT3C theme. Just for fun.

Or do whatever you like calliper wise and pay £35 per belt getting them done any colour you like. It's not a big job. :thumb:

Agreed a high gloss body colour caliper with yellow logo to tie in the other yellow accents would work well , maybe also the lower section of the door mirror ,I did that in acid green to complement other acid green trim also how about removing the door sill oval with gt3 on it and get that also painted body colour with matching yellow 911 or PORSCHE on it. :thumb: and also maybe the lower door script in yellow
remember when doing both the calliper and sill paint then logo then a few coats of clear coat , on the calliper it needs to be high temp products :thumb:

Attachments

• img_0450_202.jpg
    img_0450_202.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 1,953
More good ideas. Never seen the lower mirror only painted. Thank you all.

Off to Silverstone in it tomorrow, then to show my parents. Should be fun.

I think what everyone is saying is 'make it yours, as subtly or as mad as you want, but don't make it a lie"

Final call.

Just for fun, and whilst I order a black 911 badge.

I have a modified 'C" in stock so I'm going to badge it one of these to confuse (& possibly upset) a few purists at the next Ace Cafe meet.

Can't wait for your comments. :D

BTW. The CT3 was officially used by TechArt for a 993 special edition. Who knew that!
GTC & GTE both on, ahem, Vauxhall Astras

:dont know:

EDIT: Was so drunk that I don't even remember posting this gobbledygoock! :pc:

:oops:

jl-c said:
I think what everyone is saying is 'make it yours, as subtly or as mad as you want, but don't make it a lie"

That is an excellent summery :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

C11BRA said:
Liking the body coloured calipers idea. Never actually considered that.
What about yellow PORSCHE logo on the calipers? Subtle?

Not sure about stripes. I'll give them some more thought.

Keep what you like (if you like the calipers keep them) and get rid of what you don't like. That's it.

I know you're asking for advice here but I feel like you feel pressured to change things to stop the Porsche police from looking down their noses at you.

F-them.

For your info any of the people who get upset with your badge will be upset that you have the front and rear bumpers and every other non original part on your car.

You read through my build thread on my car. I had plenty of them on there telling what I should and shouldn't have put on my car. I shouldn't have had:

the wheel centre crests,
RS badge on the rear carpet,
exterior badges,
RS dials,

Here's a few of the comments I received

Nooooooo, don't put any fake RS badging on it, leave it with 'Turbo' or nothing IMO.

But its not an RS. You can't badge it as something its not. Its a fake.

Personally no you should not put a models badges on a car unless it was actually that model when it was made/purchased.

Otherwise it will always and forever be a copy/fake/replica which is wrong in my opinion.

Your V5 will state 'turbo' regardless of how much money you throw at it. Yes it will look like an RS eventually but I'll never be one.

Pro comment from Imi A (and basically exactly how I feel about it)
I understand what Stumpy and Martian are saying but surely its whatever the OP is happy with? The car will be an exact replica of a GT2 RS using OEM parts so if it makes him happy he can badge it any way he wants - its only a plastic badge :judge:

I had one guy take exception to the fact my car still had the old silver PCM unit and how it would never be 'correct' because of that.

I even had a mechanic at the garage that was doing most of the conversion making fun of my car in front of me as he didn't realise it was my car he was talking about. (talking about things that weren't correct on a car that was half way through the conversion).

Bottom line is you will always have some people saying something, so just accept it, ignore it and enjoy your car. It's not their car, it's yours. Just tell them what I tell them, 'When I build one for you I do what you're saying.'

My build thread
http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=97438Url

isysman said:
C11BRA said:
Liking the body coloured calipers idea. Never actually considered that.
What about yellow PORSCHE logo on the calipers? Subtle?

Not sure about stripes. I'll give them some more thought.

Keep what you like (if you like the calipers keep them) and get rid of what you don't like. That's it.

I know you're asking for advice here but I feel like you feel pressured to change things to stop the Porsche police from looking down their noses at you.

F-them.

For your info any of the people who get upset with your badge will be upset that you have the front and rear bumpers and every other non original part on your car.

You read through my build thread on my car. I had plenty of them on there telling what I should and shouldn't have put on my car. I shouldn't have had:

the wheel centre crests,
RS badge on the rear carpet,
exterior badges,
RS dials,

Here's a few of the comments I received

Nooooooo, don't put any fake RS badging on it, leave it with 'Turbo' or nothing IMO.

But its not an RS. You can't badge it as something its not. Its a fake.

Personally no you should not put a models badges on a car unless it was actually that model when it was made/purchased.

Otherwise it will always and forever be a copy/fake/replica which is wrong in my opinion.

Your V5 will state 'turbo' regardless of how much money you throw at it. Yes it will look like an RS eventually but I'll never be one.

Pro comment from Imi A (and basically exactly how I feel about it)
I understand what Stumpy and Martian are saying but surely its whatever the OP is happy with? The car will be an exact replica of a GT2 RS using OEM parts so if it makes him happy he can badge it any way he wants - its only a plastic badge :judge:

I had one guy take exception to the fact my car still had the old silver PCM unit and how it would never be 'correct' because of that.

I even had a mechanic at the garage that was doing most of the conversion making fun of my car in front of me as he didn't realise it was my car he was talking about. (talking about things that weren't correct on a car that was half way through the conversion).

Bottom line is you will always have some people saying something, so just accept it, ignore it and enjoy your car. It's not their car, it's yours. Just tell them what I tell them, 'When I build one for you I do what you're saying.'

My build thread
http:// Also Isy , It can be quite...g me a wide berth . :floor: :floor: :floor:

Also Isy , It can be quite entertaining watching their sandals and sock turn up when you arrive at a meet in a heavily modified 911. I turned up to a PCGB meet once and was asking if I was "911uk" in a tone that sounded like are you a "hells angel" or are you in the "Kray gang" :grin: and when I said "yes" there was a sharp intake or breath and lots of red trousers giving me a wide berth . :floor: :floor: :floor:[/quote]

Very funny, nice one Phil!!

Yeah sometimes you just got to rock the boat.

FZP and I were standing not too far from my car at Oulton Park and there were a group of guys standing looking at my car debating on whether it was genuine or not. One bloke was saying that it was fake because it didn't have the red interior. (He was right about the car but wrong about the interior. It came with that interior but you could opt for any finish you wanted.)

Point being it was fun listening to it.

Have to agree with the comments on this page.

I love to modify my cars. It just is what it is.

I have a CAE shifter ready to go in:

A marmite mod if there ever was one.

785985d1386729592-cae-vs-numeric-cae-shifter.jpg

Thank you all for your continued comments on this thread. Some don't understand why I am asking. I'm just curious really. And needed some input before I make my final decision (which could be temporary of course).

Basically. I have purchased a car that ticks loads of boxes for me but one thing is playing on my mind and that is the GT3 badge on the engine cover.
All the other badges don't worry me so much, because they can be transferred from a true a GT3 and are simply parts. The GT3 instruments are lovely & the colour of the dials perfectly match my interior theme. The wheels are from a GT3 so deserve to wear the badge IMO. The sill treads, well, not that fussed because no-one really sees them.

It's just the one on the car. That's the badge that labels & indicates what the car is I suppose.

My conclusion (so far) is that there are a number of Porsche owners:

1. that frown upon any modifications whatsoever and have openly said that they wished all Porsche's would stay exactly as Porsche built them. (I can understand that thought, but sounds just a little dull in my opinion).

2. that are happy to have modified cars, but only if specified by the first owner & factory supplied or fitted with genuine Porsche parts fitted only by OPC. (In an ideal world, this would be nice. I would struggle to spend my hard earned cash at my local OPC when some of the pleasure is getting my hands dirty. In fact, most of the pleasure for me is doing the work myself. Now, I fully understand that some owners simply are not practical or do not have the training & skills to tackle servicing or modifying cars. But some of us are trained engineers.)

3. that are open minded owners that prefer the simple look of a standard Carrera certainly with no rear wing. (I agree that the clean lines of a standard car are iconic, however I personally prefer a low slung car with arch filling rims & Aerokit styling).

4. that there are owners that love making their car unique. Some with genuine Porsche parts & theme (like Isysman) and some that prefer the true modified look (which I guess I was guilty of with my 996).

5. that might just be a little bit reserved and secretly wish they owned a car that looked a little more special.

6. that will always have an opinion which is theirs & believe everyone else is wrong.

7. that are lucky enough to own a true GT car and therefore aren't fans of people who copy & create fake clones. (Personally, I would take it as a compliment if I chose to own a true GT car).

I would just like to say. I got the Porsche bug when I took my 996 in by PX for my Cobra (kit. Fake. Copy. I see a pattern here). Due to the stigma of all the reported Issues around owning a water cooled Porsche, I found the car near impossible to sell. Upset by the attitude of Porsche buyers at the time, I decided to keep it. And what a fantastic decision that was. 7 years of tinkering, up-grading, perfecting & Euro tripping. Just the best thing I ever did. Met some great friends at club meets & totally enjoyed the whole experience.

So, after a recent business deal, I rewarded myself with an upgrade. I fancied a 997.1 GT3 and found a few in my budget. But I was worried that I would not enjoy a car of that value like I did my 996. So I started to look for cars that looked the same, but without the financial outlay that I believed would restrict my fun. (I drive fast, but not enough to truly extract the GT level of extra special performance which I was willing to sacrifice). When I stumbled upon the car I bought, it ticked pretty much every box.
Colour.
Non sunroof.
Non rear wiper.
Narrow body.
Interior colour.
Stance.
Aerokit.
Wheels.
Performance upgrades.
Centre exhaust.
History.
Multifunction wheel.
Rear seats for the kids.

Done deal.

Me and the missus keep making up reasons to go out for a drive. Last night we drove into London to see if the Chelsea Cruise was still going. And it was just amazing to drive the car. Just a thrill.

We gatecrashed a PCGB 997 brunch a few weekends ago. Our table was awesome. Lovely people with great stories. We were then joined by a lady who had arrived late in her lovely 997.2 cream white car (Targa I think?) with red interior. It looked classy. Not for me, but still lovely. After telling us all about her reasons to buy her first Porsche, she whispered to the table 'so what do we think about the grey car and it's big wing?" Said with a certain (bet the owner has small man parts) tone I held back with my reply and let the table answer. That was fun. No-one was rude but generally it was not popular. When she looked at me, I gave her a look and a smile. 'It's yours isn't it?" she said.
We all had a laugh as I made her squirm and back track. But she took it well and we enjoyed our brunch. Others at the brunch came over when in the car park to say how much they loved the look of my car, even after I declared it was fake. Ying & yang I guess.

Isn't it great that we all have our own opinions, desires & goals. Otherwise this world would be boring huh?

The reason for this thread was to get opinions which I certainly have received. I appreciate them all & respect all your comments & it will help with my final decision.

I'll let you know what I do & hope to meet some of you at Porsche meets to debate face to face. (Or overhear comments behind my back)

I'm thrilled with my purchase and look forward to every drive like a 10 year old child looks forward to Christmas.

RXP. said:
Have to agree with the comments on this page.

I love to modify my cars. It just is what it is.

I have a CAE shifter ready to go in:

A marmite mod if there ever was one.

785985d1386729592-cae-vs-numeric-cae-shifter.jpg

I'd love a CAE. A bloke brought his modified car to a trackday this summer, and we all had a lovely time clambering in and out of his heavily winged and bolstered Cobra to grab hold of and waggle his [CAE] knob. It was a thing of joy.

Im glad you love the car, I think it looks brilliant. Im also one for trying out different things on these cars like the yellow calipers etc etc without it trying to look like something its not, just because I like the look.

I have to admit though I don't think anyone would have said anything if it didn't have the GT3 badges and I tend to agree. It is a pet hate of mine of badging something that its not. Im a VW man and it still irks me when I see the likes of Porsche wheels or Audi wheels and the folks leave those centre caps on.

Drive and enjoy (minus the badges)
:lol:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
911tt1
Back