Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Trunk wont open

I've removed the trunk carpet and there is a brown and brown/black wire to the lock solenoid. The brown wire shows continuity to earth on the earth terminal in the trunk.

Doesnt sound right, is there a relay in the circuit? Control unit?

Does the solenoid operate when you apply / disconnect the 12v?

Edit to add - didnt see your last post, there should not be 12v to the solenoid, testing the interior light would give a false positive..

No, there is no 12volt supply to the connector when the switch is operated. And no I havent shut the lid :lol:

And if you run 12v to the solenoid does is actuate?

OK, fairly certain its the release switch but that doesn't explain why the key fob doesn't work.
I have a part number of 99761310501 but those available seem to be 99761310502, does anyone know if this is an updated part?
Thanks.

before you buy a switch you might not need you need to test the solenoid by running a 12v + power to it to see if it releases, have you done this? a simple wire from the battery positive touched to the solenoid connector should do it

Yes, done that and after some fiddling with the switch the solenoid released leading me to believe the switch contacts are faulty.

The switch is not a standard in out of a voltage or earth and as such is a bit of a pain to test on its own .

i just use a tester to see if the front end control unit is seeing this switch activated .

The usual fault is a locking pin breaks and the switch lever will twist as you pull it .. if you press down on it at the back whilst operating it then it should work .

There are no relays i'm afraid ... the front end control unit provides either an earth or a voltage to the solenoid .. i'm unsure which as i don't have that info but either way it provides one or the other to the solenoid with a fixed earth or voltage going straight to the solenoid .

I'll look into it further when i get a chance but for now it can be the switch , it can be the wiring to the solenoid on the fixed part or it can be a fault with the front end control unit and something we do with a tester might fix that .

A tester and an indy would be able to say which .... honest answer :)

A faulty switch doesn't explain why it wont work off the fob though .. that's more a control unit fault .

Hopefully its just a switch though .

Demort, the way you describe the fault on the switch is exactly how mine is on close inspection. Lift the lever and keep firm rearward pressure on it and it works.

100% switch fault .

EDIT .. Oh wait .. i never give a 100 % .. ok 95% chance the switch is at fault :D

we got there in the end :)

Fob fault is a separate fault though ... try pressing the button and holding it down to see if it works .

I'm posting this as a seperate post to explain how to change this switch .. it's actually harder than it seems ..

Small plastic bungs need to be removed to get that cover off .. a flat blade small screwdriver will do .

5MM allen key , dead straight into the holes , unscrew the bolt a couple of turns .. NOT all the way .. when both done you need to lever the panel up ,, start at one end .. trim clips also hold it in place .

Unplug the wiring ..

Look at the new switch pack .. see what locks it .. use a small pick .. a straight pointed end pick .. push it into the hole in the center of a clip whilst pushing on the switch pack .. do this for all four corners .

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Automotive-Mechanics-Chrome-plated-carpenters-engineers/dp/B006BXB5X6

Straight pick from the link .

Yes thanks. The front allen head cap screw is easy to loosen, the rear one you need a shorter allen key as access is reduced with the side of the seat. The clips also have a good grip on the trim panel.
New switch hasn't arrived yet but i'll fit it when it does - hopefully we'l progress to 100% :D

I'll try the key fob again after the new switch is in. Is it likely it will need recoding?

All fixed and yes the fob does work with an extended press :D
Thanks everyone for the advise.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back