Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Oil Pressure Sender change - success!

cbriggs1978

Dear all

Been suffering random failures of the oil pressure sender for a few months now, tried cleaning the connections but no improvement so I ordered a new one from Porsche and then read and read and read forum posts on the best way to do it.

Pretty much all posts I read suggested it was much easier to go in from the bottom but as I don't have ramps, I went in from the top and it took 10 minutes from start to finish (including getting tools out and putting them away!).

I know this isn't a complicated job but I just wanted to share in case others are looking to do this and thinking bottom is the best way to go!

I used a crow foot spanner, short extension and ratchet and found access tight but no scraped knuckles etc - more than enough room to do the job.

For interests sake, with the old sender, the car always read just under 1/2 a bar with ignition on, the new one reads zero. Still to give the car a good run out to see if there is a different reading when fully up to temperature.

hope the pics are self explanatory!

Attachments

• original_in_place_521.jpg
    original_in_place_521.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 3,612
  • tool_needed_1_200.jpg
    tool_needed_1_200.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 3,612
  • tool_needed_2_136.jpg
    tool_needed_2_136.jpg
    326.9 KB · Views: 3,612
  • old_and_new_884.jpg
    old_and_new_884.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 3,612
Spot on .. there's nothing i can add other than i recently bought myself a 19mm open end crows foot spanner to make my life easier .. i would suggest a rather long bar / ratchet to actually crack it undone though .

Top job :thumb:

I've had a new one sat on the shelf for aaaggesssss and I really must get on with it!
What size crow's foot spanner is that..
Actually, I'm being lazy, I should go and just look at mine...

19mm :thumb:

thanks for info.

Just to add, my gauge used to hover just over 1 bar when fully hot and 110 Celsius oil temp, when idling, now spends most of its time at 5 bar and only down to 3 bar hot idle.. It was never sat at 5 bar when fully hot & changing revs when driving, so these symptoms suggest faulty sender in my eyes. will change and report back for others who may have similar symptoms.

Beers!

Many thanks, mine needs doing too, I just need to work out where it goes and what your photo shows!

Its located towards the rear of the engine and o/s/r ( right hand of the car ) .

usual check to see if its faulty is turn the ignition on .. if it goes above 0 then its faulty .

Bloody hell this is something I need to do too. I had my theories but now deMort suggests turning the ignition on and if it rises above 0, its faulty...that means mine is..

Can I find it though! Nope. Cannot see anything that looks like these pictures on the right banks of the engine. Is it any different on a 996 C4S?

It is a bit tucked away to be honest and far easier to see from underneath .

O/s/r .. see where the main round wiring plugs are .. about 3 inches back from there and use your hand to feel for the sensor .. you should just about be able to see the wiring loom going to it .

Attachments

• oil_pressure_sender_673.jpg
    oil_pressure_sender_673.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 3,246
  • sender_unit_near_100.jpg
    sender_unit_near_100.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 3,246
  • pic06_165.jpg
    pic06_165.jpg
    668.1 KB · Views: 3,246
deMort, thank you as usual. I have managed to spot it...just. My C4S has the PSE so has a bit more in the way, what I believe to be the valve and the vacuum cylinder, which might make it a little more difficult!

I plan to disconnect the PSE valve assembly and then try for access..

Here is a picture of my view of it!

Attachments

• ca1e7fc5_611d_4557_817d_4db1fd61fc07_843.jpeg
    ca1e7fc5_611d_4557_817d_4db1fd61fc07_843.jpeg
    227.3 KB · Views: 3,145
  • 59899d10_d5ee_44fc_9e3f_303ca51c8d73_390.jpeg
    59899d10_d5ee_44fc_9e3f_303ca51c8d73_390.jpeg
    294.6 KB · Views: 3,145
Thanks Ian (&Harvester), the pics show just what I need. I'll get the part ordered now.

Mike

A couple of questions:

1. How does the new sender thread seal, does it come with a sealer on it, does it seal as a taper thread or do people use PTFE or a sealant?

2. If using an offset (cows foot) this will affect the torque setting, how do people allow for this (or do you ignore and just use the recommended torque setting?)

thanks
Mike

New sender should have an ally seal on it .. this is the part that seals it , no ptfe is needed ...

An extension or a crows foot won't affect torque setting .. i dont torque them up though ... tight is tight .

Excellent, many thanks
Mike

I certainly couldn't have replaced this from the top on mine,maybe there is some extra pipe and reservoirs with the valved exhaust system?
It is relatively easy from below with the crows foot but then even getting the replaced was difficult enough from above !!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back