Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Audio Help

DannyB

Hello all, I'm new to 911's having only had my 997 (2004) for 6 months now.

love the car, upgrade from my 986 but having the normal new car troubles. drove it down to Italy from the UK and it was fine apart from on the way home the stereo gave out. Now the PCM unit / sat nav etc all work but you just get a random pop now and then from the speakers. I've done some research and it sounds like a problem with the BOSE Amp from in the frunk, it was jammed with luggage so may have over heated.

i was going to replace it with a ebay job but the part number is coming up hard to find. anyone know if the small difference in 997.645.333.06 to 997.645.334.22 would be an issue?

Thanks all and Hi from a newbe.

Sorry, can't help with your question, but welcome to the forum. :thumb:

I'm sure someone will know the difference.

It does sound like the amp has failed .

For a part number then just phone an opc parts dept.. give chassis number and ask for a price .. then ask for the part number , that way it will be correct for your car .

I suspect that one number superseeds to the other but that's a matter for a parts dept to say .. i don't have pet :)

There is something in the back of my mind about one early version of the Bose amp - it can't be updated to run newer software and fails if you try to update.

Worth a Google, at least to save you buying one of those!

jonno_ said:
There is something in the back of my mind about one early version of the Bose amp - it can't be updated to run newer software and fails if you try to update.

Worth a Google, at least to save you buying one of those!

Quite correct there is, am in Italy so can't check but definitely the case.

The wonders of the interweb! This is a post by Richard Hamilton a really knowledgable chap on all this stuff, I quote him:-

This is a summary of the updates available for PCM2.1 systems fitted to MY2005 and MY2006 9x7 vehicles, which are required to run the latest maps (currently 08.2009 – MY2010).

First, determine the current (Actual) software versions for the PCM and Amplifier.

Press MAIN + TRIP together

Scroll down to PCM and select

Make a note of PCM Actual Version

Go back & scroll down & select Amplifier

Make a note of Amplifier Actual Version. If your car does not have an amplifier, the option will not be there.

There are 4 levels of PCM software version:

04035xxx – Standard Production Status (Up to Week #42, 2004)

04202xxx – Model Level A (from Week #42, 2004 to Week #16, 2005)

05024xxx – Model Level B (from Week #16, 2005 to Week #22, 2006)

05395xxx – Model Level C (from Week #22, 2006 onwards)

There are several early versions of the Bose amplifier, and it has been found (the hard way) that updating these using the Level A update CD can cause the amplifier to fail completely, and require replacement.

If Amplifier Actual Version is less than 00017500 (ie 00016401) then do not attempt to update the system using an update CD. SOME of these early amplifiers can be updated using a PIWIS tester, but others require replacement. I would suggest contacting a Porsche Centre to determine this.

If Amplifier Actual Version is 00017500/xxxx or greater then it is OK to update using the update CD.

Required Updates:

1) If PCM is version 04035xxx then apply updates in this order:

Level A, Level B, Phone, and Level C.

2) If PCM is version 04202xxx then apply updates in this order:

Level B, Phone, and Level C.

3) If PCM is version 05024xxx then only apply Level C update.

4) If PCM is version 05395xxx then no updates are required, just insert the map disk.

Update Disk Part Numbers (9x7):

Level A - 000.043.205.46.004 (previously 000.043.205.46.001) – Updates Standard Production Status to Model Level A

Level B - 000.043.205.46.002 - Updates Level A to Level B

Phone - 000.043.205.46.003 - Updates Motorola phone module, if installed. Not required if phone module is not fitted.

Level C - 000.044.901.40 - Updates Navigation Module, after Level B is installed, to Level C.

Important: Levels A, B and Phone are done with a disk in the PCM CD drive. Level C is done with a CD in the Navigation drive.

Note also that different update disks are required for Cayenne models.

Edit 30th October 2012:

Just to update this a little, I have just purchased the latest map DVD for Europe, which is 08.2012. Not cheap, at just over £300 +VAT. Part number 997.044.903.50.

There are no further software updates, and it was plug & play in my sysetm. Still only partial postcode searches, and the map data files on the disk are 02.2012, so 3 and a bit years newer than the last one.

Hey Danny

Not sure if my second PM came through so just in case it didn't mine is :

997.645.334.33 , i think it supersedes .22 but a dealer could confirm

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DomiNozka
Back