Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Ticking noise to Rebuild time - worst 50 Miles ever.

Totally understand and I was hesitant in asking. I suppose it was more if you had some case history for this.
I suppose the reason for asking is that many people with these cars will do a limited mileage per year and they also (hopefully) will be doing an annual oil change so you could have some data to say that its occurred a number of times within a certain timeframe.

...interesting if rather sobering/disconcerting reading for owners with leggy (>80 k miles) 996/7s...reinforcing my view that given the fragility and known issues associated with these engines that only cars with rebuilt engines will find value in the future...

Frankly if it's not the IMS it's the Bores Scoring or if not it's the Cracking unless of course the Crank bearings melt...

Honestly if you're unlucky, your unlucky but in the meantime drive these great machines until Europe & Sadiq Khan ban all internal combustion engines forever !
Life is too short

This is why we developed the oversized engine conversions to offer a benefit for a pre-emotive rebuild through giving back a performance benefit that doesn't have to be thrashed to enjoy through its much better mid-range.

Generally a 10% increase in capacity is perfect or the top end cannot offer as much of an increase that the extra airflow could enjoy. So our 3.4 to 3.7 and 3.6 to 3.9 work extremely well.

The 3.2 to 3.7 also works well because although the top end is not as much of an increase in proportion to the 500cc stretch, the light weight makes it very fast and might otherwise struggle for grip.

The 3.4 Cayman S to 3.9 is fantastic because it shares the 3.6/3.8 heads and camshaft variations and can breathe higher top end air flow and still give up good bottom end resulting from the more sophisticated induction system.

The 3.8 to 3.9 unfortunately only offers a 100 cc increase so is not as noticeable as the others.

Baz

Rebuild

My 996 is back following its rebuild by Angus @ AMS Porsche. Went above and beyond by doing loads of extra stuff on the car FOC and sorting out the host of parts I left in the boot when the car was collected - sports headers, condensors, dansk exhaust clamps, titanium stud kit, Bosch spark plugs, brake pipe over engine. Also did some mesh grill for me on the front bumper.

Attachments

• inkedporsche996_335.jpg
    inkedporsche996_335.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,419
Bet you're glad to get it back, what did AMS do in the rebuild? Can you share the details with us please?

Rebuild

AMS Porsche - cant fault them, kept me informed all the way through.

Cylinder head reconditioned
Sourced used crank
2 new pistons & 6 piston rings
liners x 3 with closed deck retained
conrod bearings
main bearings, head bolts & conrod bolts
timing chains
cam chain tensioners & pads
AOS
Standard IMS, tensioner blade & link chain
Oil Pump
engine mounts