Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
992 : 2019- 1
991 : 2011- 19
997 : 2004- 72
996 : 1997-2005 31
993 : 1993-1998 7
964 : 1989-1993 2
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 3
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 2
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 1
Early 911 : 1964-1977 1
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 32
Cayman : 2005- 19
Cayenne : 2003- 6
Macan : 2014- 5
Panamera : 2009- 0
912-914-924-928-944-968 1
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 0
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [992] 2018-Current
Porsche 911 [992]
911 [991] 2011-2019
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-2012
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Message
681954
Newbie


Joined: 04 Aug 2019
Posts: 2



PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:50 pm    Post subject: 997.1 Turbo Cabriolet Manual, Suspension Thoughts Reply with quote

I am doing some minor mods to suspension for fast road here in the UK keeping relatively close to stock. ie. stock springs / dampers / front sway bar and all drop links etc.

I have already fitted the DSC Sport Controller V1 and love its new ability. Next is to replace the rear sway bar with the 25.5 mm from a GT2 RS with new stock bushes to suit set in middle position.

The next thought was to adjust the front toe to -0.03 degrees toe out to get a sharper turn-in, as I also expect the rear sway bar to do the same to some degree.

I have seen very many posts on here, and elsewhere, and have found them extremely interesting, but I have not yet found anyone that runs with my intended set-up.

So, why am I telling you all this?

Because, although I am an old dog, I am not too dumb to ignore the experiences of others, new tricks and all that. . . Drive

I am not going to track the car at all; so do not need anything too extreme. I know you guys will have great opinions to share and I look forward to reading them all.

Fondest regards,

Paul
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Martian
Sepang


Joined: 18 Mar 2009
Posts: 2923
Location: Bury St. Edmunds

2007 Porsche 997 Turbo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have the DSC unit and running standard suspension, a custom geometry setup I found was the way forward. It has transformed it from understeer to front end bite, it can then be driven more on the throttle. For the road, this was more than sufficient for me.

Settings below.
_________________
Manheller Racing - Nürburgring
 



997T Geometry.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  76.99 KB
 Viewed:  721 Time(s)

997T Geometry.jpg


  
View user's profile Send private message
   
rabbitstew
Hockenheim


Joined: 21 Aug 2015
Posts: 717



PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have stock springs/shocks (done 100k miles and still fine), DSC box and the GT2RS rear anti roll bar (set at 1.5, so 2 holes one side & 1 hole the other - soft to medium i guess). Plus a fast road setup by 9e.

I find the car handles like its on rails. The GT2RS rear bar certainly improves turn-in no end.

The other big transformation I found was sticking a set of MPS4S`s on.
_________________
2008 997.1 Turbo Manual - 585whp thanks to do88 & 9e
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
IMI A
Barcelona


Joined: 02 Aug 2014
Posts: 1268
Location: KHI


PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rabbitstew wrote:
I have stock springs/shocks (done 100k miles and still fine), DSC box and the GT2RS rear anti roll bar (set at 1.5, so 2 holes one side & 1 hole the other - soft to medium i guess). Plus a fast road setup by 9e.

I find the car handles like its on rails. The GT2RS rear bar certainly improves turn-in no end.

The other big transformation I found was sticking a set of MPS4S`s on.


+1 have the similar set up but on -20mm lowering springs and cup 2. Its good compared to stock set up. The DSC box and GT2 RS rear sway bar help although compared to a more modern Porsche the 997 will always have a front end like a boat. I'd leave the springs stock on a cab.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
MaxA
Albert Park


Joined: 11 Oct 2015
Posts: 1616
Location: Helsinki


PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plan seems like a good one to me, assuming that you're trying to dial in some more front end bite and take out the understeer.

If it was me, in addition to a bit of toe out, I'd also try to add as much negative camber as you can to improve the front end: I could get about 1.2 degrees which helped a bit.

You could also add some 11 or 12mm spacers to widen the track at the front, which makes it feel more pointy.
_________________
997.2 Carrera4S: white over blue, driven and tracked, seldom clean.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
IMI A
Barcelona


Joined: 02 Aug 2014
Posts: 1268
Location: KHI


PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaxA wrote:
The plan seems like a good one to me, assuming that you're trying to dial in some more front end bite and take out the understeer.

If it was me, in addition to a bit of toe out, I'd also try to add as much negative camber as you can to improve the front end: I could get about 1.2 degrees which helped a bit.

You could also add some 11 or 12mm spacers to widen the track at the front, which makes it feel more pointy.


Interesting you have gone to such extremes on a second generation 997. The 997.2 C4S i had needed no improvement to handling. Brill out of the no compared tap gen 1 car.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
MaxA
Albert Park


Joined: 11 Oct 2015
Posts: 1616
Location: Helsinki


PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMI A wrote:
MaxA wrote:
The plan seems like a good one to me, assuming that you're trying to dial in some more front end bite and take out the understeer.

If it was me, in addition to a bit of toe out, I'd also try to add as much negative camber as you can to improve the front end: I could get about 1.2 degrees which helped a bit.

You could also add some 11 or 12mm spacers to widen the track at the front, which makes it feel more pointy.


Interesting you have gone to such extremes on a second generation 997. The 997.2 C4S i had needed no improvement to handling. Brill out of the no compared tap gen 1 car.


I've never tried a 997.1, but I don't think this is particularly extreme: I've got lightweight rims, Michelin Pilot Sport 4s, the TPC Racing DSC box, H&R lowering springs, 12mm spacers, and a realignment with a bit of added negative camber at the front - I don't have the adjustable coffin arms, or the thicker rear anti roll bar.

I found the car to be a little prone to understeer, and I'm trying to get it to rotate a little more going into the corners and keep it neutral in the corners. I suppose we all have our own preferences. Grin
_________________
997.2 Carrera4S: white over blue, driven and tracked, seldom clean.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic   All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
You cannot post calendar events in this forum