Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.1 Turbo Cabriolet Manual, Suspension Thoughts

I am doing some minor mods to suspension for fast road here in the UK keeping relatively close to stock. ie. stock springs / dampers / front sway bar and all drop links etc.

I have already fitted the DSC Sport Controller V1 and love its new ability. Next is to replace the rear sway bar with the 25.5 mm from a GT2 RS with new stock bushes to suit set in middle position.

The next thought was to adjust the front toe to -0.03 degrees toe out to get a sharper turn-in, as I also expect the rear sway bar to do the same to some degree.

I have seen very many posts on here, and elsewhere, and have found them extremely interesting, but I have not yet found anyone that runs with my intended set-up.

So, why am I telling you all this?

Because, although I am an old dog, I am not too dumb to ignore the experiences of others, new tricks and all that. . . :drive:

I am not going to track the car at all; so do not need anything too extreme. I know you guys will have great opinions to share and I look forward to reading them all.

Fondest regards,

Paul

I also have the DSC unit and running standard suspension, a custom geometry setup I found was the way forward. It has transformed it from understeer to front end bite, it can then be driven more on the throttle. For the road, this was more than sufficient for me.

Settings below.

Attachments

• 997t_geometry_196.jpg
    997t_geometry_196.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 1,295
I have stock springs/shocks (done 100k miles and still fine), DSC box and the GT2RS rear anti roll bar (set at 1.5, so 2 holes one side & 1 hole the other - soft to medium i guess). Plus a fast road setup by 9e.

I find the car handles like its on rails. The GT2RS rear bar certainly improves turn-in no end.

The other big transformation I found was sticking a set of MPS4S`s on.

rabbitstew said:
I have stock springs/shocks (done 100k miles and still fine), DSC box and the GT2RS rear anti roll bar (set at 1.5, so 2 holes one side & 1 hole the other - soft to medium i guess). Plus a fast road setup by 9e.

I find the car handles like its on rails. The GT2RS rear bar certainly improves turn-in no end.

The other big transformation I found was sticking a set of MPS4S`s on.

+1 have the similar set up but on -20mm lowering springs and cup 2. Its good compared to stock set up. The DSC box and GT2 RS rear sway bar help although compared to a more modern Porsche the 997 will always have a front end like a boat. I'd leave the springs stock on a cab.

The plan seems like a good one to me, assuming that you're trying to dial in some more front end bite and take out the understeer.

If it was me, in addition to a bit of toe out, I'd also try to add as much negative camber as you can to improve the front end: I could get about 1.2 degrees which helped a bit.

You could also add some 11 or 12mm spacers to widen the track at the front, which makes it feel more pointy.

MaxA said:
The plan seems like a good one to me, assuming that you're trying to dial in some more front end bite and take out the understeer.

If it was me, in addition to a bit of toe out, I'd also try to add as much negative camber as you can to improve the front end: I could get about 1.2 degrees which helped a bit.

You could also add some 11 or 12mm spacers to widen the track at the front, which makes it feel more pointy.

Interesting you have gone to such extremes on a second generation 997. The 997.2 C4S i had needed no improvement to handling. Brill out of the no compared tap gen 1 car.

IMI A said:
MaxA said:

Interesting you have gone to such extremes on a second generation 997. The 997.2 C4S i had needed no improvement to handling. Brill out of the no compared tap gen 1 car.

I've never tried a 997.1, but I don't think this is particularly extreme: I've got lightweight rims, Michelin Pilot Sport 4s, the TPC Racing DSC box, H&R lowering springs, 12mm spacers, and a realignment with a bit of added negative camber at the front - I don't have the adjustable coffin arms, or the thicker rear anti roll bar.

I found the car to be a little prone to understeer, and I'm trying to get it to rotate a little more going into the corners and keep it neutral in the corners. I suppose we all have our own preferences. :grin:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
emb01
Back