Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996.1 cab C2 manual

Whichever wheel I choose will be sent to BG Developments along with a hub/upright so that they can work out what looks reasonable from a rotor diameter.

I've gone backward and forward on the PCCB thing for ages now and I think I've finally decided to save the money that I'd spend on the discs and get lightweight callipers (six piston front/four piston rear AP Radi-cal) instead, along with fully floating rotors on alloy bells.

Mark - I take your point, but I'd like there to be some clue to the degree to which the car has been modified. It's going to look 100% stock bar the ride height, and if I stuck with the five spokes, the enormous brake rotors visible through the wheels.

I think either an LM or an E88 would be a nice hint that there is ~GT3 power hanging behind the rear wheels.

E88 magnesium? If lighter than LM, then E88. Otherwise look very similar.

Bottom line is, as long as the centres are Weiss gold or similar, either.

:thumb:

E88 are not magnesium.

E28 are magnesium, I have a set, however they were prone to cracking on cup cars, as such the E28 was replaced with the E29, which looks almost identical, however they are made from alloy, which negated the cracking issue.

The issue with the E29 was that they were heavier than the E28, quite significantly heavier.

In an attempt to the lower the weight BBS made the E88, which again is almost identical to the E29, also alloy, but the spokes are scalloped to reduce weight.

All of the above are 3 piece motorsport wheels which come with lightweight barrels and lips.

BBS LM are a road wheel, again alloy, but a different shape centre to the E28/29/88, they are generally a 2 piece wheel and are much heavier but more robust.

Thoughts on light weight wheels, based on experience with Fuchs.

The fronts were around 4 kgs lighter and rears approx 5kgs. Significant.

But overall wheel weight reduction including tyres is not so headline grabbing. Fronts 21 kg down to 17kg = -19%. Rears 24kg down to 19kg = - 21%. Also the weight reduction is at the centre of the wheel tyre combination so moment of inertia isn't massively affected.

None the less, the car feels tangibly more delicate. But this is through back to back comparison, it's not a night and day improvement irrespective of what some claim.

This would lead me to comment that within reasonable bounds, go for the wheels that you like the best, not necessarily die in a ditch to get the lighter ones.

I think I'll go for LM's, Gert can get them in the correct light gold colour, then I can see whether gaining 5cm on the rotor diameter and going to 6 piston front and 4 piston rear can be offset by alloy bells and AP callipers.

That last part has been one I've agonised over as Porsche and Brembo are so closely associated - until I saw this years Le Mans car running AP callipers and steel discs, at which point I thought "ok then".

With the engine, gearbox and other stuff that Mistercorn and I have been working on the car is going to be evolving in a new direction - which I'm very happy with as these things should be a vessel for creativity rather than a straightjacket that prevents it.

Although with that said the overall aesthetic is still critically important - I'm considering what decals should go on the callipers for e.g. as the Radi-Cal ones are gopping.

Decision made, sorry Mark.

959_6_BBS-LM-Gold-seitlich_web.png

Haha, don't be daft. :thumb:
Gorgeous wheels. It's all personal preference and I'm sure they'll look ace.

As you know I've currently got my gunmetal grey GT3 wheels for sale as I've gone back to silver ones. Even though it's something I planned before even collecting the car, I now think I prefer the grey ones. It's funny what we get used to and how our brains work. :eh!:

Are they made to order then Neil? If so when's the ETA?
I'm guessing they'll not see much use until next year now. Do they lacquer the rims or leave them bare so they can be polished up whenever necessary?

They're made to order, should be delivered some time in the New Year, and it'll be Spring before they are out on the car.

8.5" front and 11" rear- wondering about moving my current tyres over, what do people think? Current wheels are 8" front and 10" rear with 225/40 front and 285/35 rear (IIRC).

Not sure about the lip- it may be a polishing hell about to happen.

Your current tyres will work but aren't the equivalent Porsche recommended sizes of 235/295.
They'll look a tad more stretched.

Yes, I've tried both options on polished lips. You can't win.
Lacquered keeps them bright but you'll get a stonechip then water will get in and you'll get a white spiders web.

Bare means no corrosion but you cannot easily keep them polished to that 'as new" brightness. It's a regular job trying to keep them like a mirror.

Great wheel choice :thumb:

Would like a set of LM's or E28/88's for mine one day 8)

Thanks for the table- interesting.

If anyone wants perfect condition 5 spokes let me know and we can sort it out when my LM's arrive.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davey2233
Back