Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
992 : 2019- 1
991 : 2011- 19
997 : 2004- 75
996 : 1997-2005 33
993 : 1993-1998 7
964 : 1989-1993 2
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 3
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 2
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 1
Early 911 : 1964-1977 1
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 30
Cayman : 2005- 19
Cayenne : 2003- 4
Macan : 2014- 4
Panamera : 2009- 0
912-914-924-928-944-968 2
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 0
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [992] 2018-Current
Porsche 911 [992]
911 [991] 2011-2019
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-2012
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

neil_911
Monza

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread this, A font of useful information!

I looked into doing this myself so this is a great aid. I'm getting a custom exhaust, so i'm glad it can be done without the need for a key fob. Makes the cost of a custom exhaust less if only a butterfly valve and solenoid are needed!

Pat on the back to you lads!

nigel99
Barcelona

2009 Porsche 997 Carrera 2S

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's amazing how clever some of the people on this forum are. Thanks for sharing. Bow

John997
Silverstone

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent post Rob and well documented fella.

I know how much this time this has taken to put together and take my hat off to you Rob, I like the electronics part - brings back memories and I do miss them. Have a stash of bits in the loft, makes me want to put something together now - Well done !!

Salut thumbsup

DucatiRob
Kyalami

2006 Porsche 997 Carrera 2S

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: PSE retrofit on 997.2 Reply with quote

PS1000 wrote:
Hi all - just to build on this excellent post from Ducati Rob (and Systec) I have now followed his instructions and successfully installed the PSE button to control my new Top Gear valved exhaust on my 997.2

A few minor differences..

- The connector on the 997.2 has 20 pins however it is still pins 10 and 11 that connect to the PSE button as per Rob's original posting https://www.dropbox.com/s/smvmpgk8pkqxjmb/20170917_171715.jpg?dl=0

- I just used two resistors in the voltage divider (100 ohm and 50 ohm) which gives the same result as the 3 Rob used

- I installed into two small project boxes which fitted neatly in the space behind the PCM https://www.dropbox.com/s/uz3srsma46gf3v0/20171025_171508.jpg?dl=0
This meant just one wire to be routed to the engine bay (see my other post on how to do this)

Switched live was obtained by using a piggy back fuse from the main fuse box https://www.dropbox.com/s/htr6qjras74dacr/20171023_163911.jpg?dl=0

The Top Gear exhaust looks good quality but not so sure about the electronic components. I decided to buy a Pierburg valve - which is what Porsche would have fitted as the OEM part
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pb8vjxggskud6ya/20171104_132009.jpg?dl=0

Everything working fine and I'm really pleased with the end result. I would summarise by saying its how the car should really sound from the factory. Not in any way too loud or droning - but just enough of a bark to match the looks and performance of the 997. Definitely a mod I would recommend to everyone. I should also say that I have also fitted the H&S crossover pipe to replace the rear (centre) silencer. I did this first and I know that there are various posts saying the 997.2 PSE is not loud enough with the OE centre silencer still in place - so I'd recommend replacing it with a crossover pipe as well

Thanks again to Ducatirob for the original excellent post. I would have been lost without it

Excellent job Thumb with some good improvements over my original. Definitely recommend the better quality solenoid valve, the one included with my topgear exhaust didn't last too long!
Ducati 996

FRZ 911
Österreich

2007 Porsche 997 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DucatiRob, you have a PM. Thumb

Thanks, Mark

Phil 997
Le Mans
Le Mans

2009 Porsche 997 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love posts like this and really think it should be a sticky as "can I use an aftermarket valved exhaust with my PSE button" or can I retro fit a PSE button with my valved aftermarket exhaust " are questions asked so many times on here Thumb mods please give this consideration for a sticky. Thumb

Last edited by Phil 997 on Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

FRZ 911
Österreich

2007 Porsche 997 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't agree more Phil. I've had this thread saved as a favourite on my browser since it first appeared just waiting for the right time. thumbsup

Hertsdriver
Spa-Francorchamps

2004 Porsche 997 Carrera 2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found this excellent thread but have the pics disappeared from the OP's post or is it just my PC?

systech1
Silverstone

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hertsdriver wrote:
Just found this excellent thread but have the pics disappeared from the OP's post or is it just my PC?

This is the missing circuit diagram (DucatiRob's).

I strapped two (not three) resistors across the relevant terminals of the latching relay (R1 is double the value of R2 and forget R3) and installed the assembly in a small plastic enclosure and mounted it under the PCM. This makes the wiring to the switch panel easy. You then run the solenoid control cable through the middle console under the carpet under the rear seats into the engine bay to the vacuum solenoid. I ran the cable through a grommet under the ECU as I couldn't easily install it through the large cable gland on the RHS of the firewall.
Long time Porsche fan. Previous cars include 911T 2.2, 911E 2.2, Carrera 3.0, 986 Boxster S. Current car is 997.2S Manual (with PSE, H&S Backbox bypass, Sports Chrono, SSK, DSC PASM controller, Carrera Sports wheels, Ducktail/Diffuser and splitter, Sport Design steering wheel etc.)

PSE Latch circuit.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  33.03 KB
 Viewed:  857 Time(s)

PSE Latch circuit.jpg

Chris M.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@DucatiRob any chance you could add the photos back to this thread? I’ve purchased the parts but could use some help putting it all together. Thanks

Chris M.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

systech1 wrote:
Hertsdriver wrote:

I strapped two (not three) resistors across the relevant terminals of the latching relay (R1 is double the value of R2 and forget R3) and installed the assembly in a small plastic enclosure and mounted it under the PCM. This makes the wiring to the switch panel easy. You then run the solenoid control cable through the middle console under the carpet under the rear seats into the engine bay to the vacuum solenoid. I ran the cable through a grommet under the ECU as I couldn't easily install it through the large cable gland on the RHS of the firewall.

If the latching relay only needs 4 volts then why are there 12v going into it in the bottom left and bottom right corners on the wiring diagram?

systech1
Silverstone

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris M. wrote:
systech1 wrote:
Hertsdriver wrote:

If the latching relay only needs 4 volts then why are there 12v going into it in the bottom left and bottom right corners on the wiring diagram?

You still need to switch the 12V input to the output of the relay and in turn to the solenoid valve. But this particular relay needs ca. 4 V signal to switch the the relay, hence the need for the resistive divider.
Long time Porsche fan. Previous cars include 911T 2.2, 911E 2.2, Carrera 3.0, 986 Boxster S. Current car is 997.2S Manual (with PSE, H&S Backbox bypass, Sports Chrono, SSK, DSC PASM controller, Carrera Sports wheels, Ducktail/Diffuser and splitter, Sport Design steering wheel etc.)

DucatiRob
Kyalami

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris M. wrote:
@DucatiRob any chance you could add the photos back to this thread? I’ve purchased the parts but could use some help putting it all together. Thanks

Sorry Chris, missed your message, have been away for a while!

Seems Systech has re-posted the most important pic, the wiring diagram! The 12v feed, bottom left on the circuit board, us needed for the relay coil, the 12v input on the right is just the switched feed for the solenoid valve. The pulse feed into the latching relay needs 4v, so the 12v momentary switch signal needs to be stepped down. As Systec says, you only need two resistors, as long as R1 is double the value of the other, eg. if R1 is 10 ohms R2 should be 5 ohms. I had resistors of the same value which is why I used three!

Hope it all works ok Thumb
Ducati 996

-- 997 --
Suzuka

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive done this electronic PSE button on my 997. I purchased the button panel, tapped into the plug and wired up relays different to the diagram posted and works like factory.. worth while mod if fitting an aftermarket valvetronic exhaust system!! Id keep away from a remote control fob switch as i originally fitted!!

Cheers

J

Chris M.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DucatiRob wrote:
Chris M. wrote:

Sorry Chris, missed your message, have been away for a while!

Seems Systech has re-posted the most important pic, the wiring diagram! The 12v feed, bottom left on the circuit board, us needed for the relay coil, the 12v input on the right is just the switched feed for the solenoid valve. The pulse feed into the latching relay needs 4v, so the 12v momentary switch signal needs to be stepped down. As Systec says, you only need two resistors, as long as R1 is double the value of the other, eg. if R1 is 10 ohms R2 should be 5 ohms. I had resistors of the same value which is why I used three!

Hope it all works ok Thumb

Thanks for the reply Rob. I’ve built my divider but cannot find the connectors to go into the back of the harness to add the two wires to the button panel. I’ve ordered several sets online and they do not fit. I’ve been to several local electronics shops and they don’t have them. I’ve been to several custom car stereo shops and they don’t have them. They told me to find a harness from a junkyard car and use that. Won’t be easy to find. I tried to solder the wires to the pins but the blob of solder is too large to allow the harness to plug back into the switch panel.

If any of you have some extra connectors you used I will be happy to pay you for them and for the shipping to the USA. You can email me at cmartin911 at Mac dot com if you have anything I can use. I will PayPal you the funds.

Here’s an example of some I tried but are too big to insert into the back of the harness.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Molex/43030-0007?qs=MuwpYaHj75276x2HQaDYIw%3D%3D

DucatiRob
Kyalami

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris, PM me your address and i will send you some connectors. I got them from Maplins before they went bust. Not a perfect fit, but good enough!
Ducati 996

C4Silver
Monza

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m confused, are we saying that the PSE button does not control the exhaust ??

systech1
Silverstone

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C4Silver wrote:
I’m confused, are we saying that the PSE button does not control the exhaust ??

Not sure why it’s confusing but yes.. the PSE switch activates the latching relay which in turn activates the vacuum solenoid which switches the exhaust valves. It also retains the lasts switch setting and accordingly the valve ON or OFF setting so e.g.no need to switch ON the PSE on startup ( if that’s what you want) unlike the OEM solution which defaults to OFF (quiet) and is wired via the ECU.

C4Silver
Monza

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s confusing because I thought that the button “when pressed” activated the PSE,

Dont know

I’m clearly reading this back to front, there are some without PSE who have wired it in to work exactly like factory ? “I’m sure I’ve read that right ?

Then a factory PSE car wants it coding out so works like an aftermarket system, and the switch which is standard and has a confusing picture of an exhaust on it doesn’t control the exhaust at all,

So, no I can’t see why I’m confused either ?

jl-c
Monza

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C4Silver wrote:
It’s confusing because I thought that the button “when pressed” activated the PSE,

Dont know

I’m clearly reading this back to front, there are some without PSE who have wired it in to work exactly like factory ? “I’m sure I’ve read that right ?

Then a factory PSE car wants it coding out so works like an aftermarket system, and the switch which is standard and has a confusing picture of an exhaust on it doesn’t control the exhaust at all,

So, no I can’t see why I’m confused either ?

This might help you understand, taken from Ducatirob’s post
After a little research, the standard PSE system controls the valves so that they are open at idle, then close as revs rise and then open again at around 3500 rpm. The valves are obviously controlled from the ECU.

This is the “normal” operation for factory fit PSE. For those fitting after market PSE this is Rob’s solution and as it gives full on or off control, then some who have a factory fit PSE want to modify the one on their car to be simply on or off and not rev controlled by the ECU.

We all do silly things/make mistakes, it's how we deal with them that sets us apart from animals and Americans.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: