Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Speaker upgrade

I'm clueless with audio install, but do love good sound (especially a bit of bass).

Does anyone know an audio place in London that knows 996 that can sort me out?

I have a 2001 996 C4, with dash and rear speakers. No door speakers or under seat sub (that I know of).

Hertsdriver said:
The Bose sub has its own amp located within the unit. It can be driven directly by an aftermarket head unit with an adapted lead.

I also have spare a rear BOSE subwoofer, i dont have an amplifier in mine.

In my old 996 I used the Pioneer head unit to drive the sub. The Pioneer had a genuine sub output by bridging the rear speaker outputs.
I replaced the speakers in the sub to get the correct 2 Ohm impedance required by the headunit..

It actually worked very well.. The Sub is currently sat on a shelf in my garage..

I spent a little time at the weekend tinkering with the ICE in my C2. Dash and rear speakers have now been replaced with Alpine units a little while ago and are an improvement. The PO had installed a rather nice 4 channel Alpine amp .
2 channels drive the rear speakers and 2 channels drive the dash and door speakers. The problem is that the dash speakers can't take much abuse and distort at high volume. Due to my own incompetence I ended up buying another identical amp about a year ago so now have the ability to drive front and rear speakers with 1 amp and the door speakers with the other. A bit of testing proved successful and reducing the low frequencies to the dash/rear speakers and channel lower stuff to the doors made a big difference.
So the problem I now have is finding a location for the second amp.
It looks possible under the drivers seat or I'm wondering how much space is under the dash on the passenger side? I ran out of time and so didn't get a chance to have a look.
Any ideas?

Cheers

You can see the edge of the powered Focal sub, which is hung under the dash on the passenger side in this photo (with a leather strip on it to make it blend in):

50073102512_2f9892cac9_b.jpg

g911omr said:
I spent a little time at the weekend tinkering with the ICE in my C2. Dash and rear speakers have now been replaced with Alpine units a little while ago and are an improvement. The PO had installed a rather nice 4 channel Alpine amp .
2 channels drive the rear speakers and 2 channels drive the dash and door speakers. The problem is that the dash speakers can't take much abuse and distort at high volume. Due to my own incompetence I ended up buying another identical amp about a year ago so now have the ability to drive front and rear speakers with 1 amp and the door speakers with the other. A bit of testing proved successful and reducing the low frequencies to the dash/rear speakers and channel lower stuff to the doors made a big difference.
So the problem I now have is finding a location for the second amp.
It looks possible under the drivers seat or I'm wondering how much space is under the dash on the passenger side? I ran out of time and so didn't get a chance to have a look.
Any ideas?

Cheers

Not sure on the size of your amp but I've got one of these mini amps attached with double sided carpet tape under the pax side footwell (left hand side and up a bit) it's been there years and hasn't moved. I don't have door speakers and bias it to provide more output to the rear speakers.
I also have a Kenwood KSC-SW11 150w Sub on the rear shelf (more carpet tape) which handles the bass to give the F/R Alpine SPG-10C2 an easier time. Standard HU.
Sounds pretty good and loud enough. The amp would happily drive much bigger speakers.

Attachments

• 95ebf2a0_01e9_45e3_8c25_892b7278f04c_170.png
    95ebf2a0_01e9_45e3_8c25_892b7278f04c_170.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,516
I have a Morel MPS 4.400 four channel amp in the stock location now, powering the separates in the dash and the Hertz woofers in the doors, with the sub connected directly to the head unit - so my rear speakers are unpowered. I have to admit that I can't find a negative to this setup at the moment, if I had to pick one thing it would be the performance of the hands-free microphone, which according to a friend I spoke to yesterday had a lot of background noise. Other than that the sound quality is excellent.

Could you direct me to the Hertz door speakers? Are the a direct fit?

Ta

Struggling to recall, but I think I used the 130.5's, however I'm likely to swap them out toward the end of the year for Morel units, simply to get everything from the same make.

In terms of install, make sure they're sealed into the enclosures properly, other than that I don't think there are any particular gotcha's.

Thanks. I'm assuming the Hertz were a worthwhile improvement of original?

Unfortunately it's hard to say because I changed so many things at once- it now sounds very good, so no part of it is bad, if that makes sense?

I fitted the hertz after reading Dammits thread. 2 on the dash and 2 in the rear seat side pods. Compared to the original Bose Cardboard pieces of crap, they are a huge improvement. Much nicer sound. Literally less card- boardie! I did the fronts first so I was able to compare them with the rear.

Well worth the money

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back