Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Coilover check / rebuild

coullstar

Any good companies to use for a coilover rebuild / check?

Bought some 2nd hand KW1's that appear in great condition however I think one shock is compressing a lot easier than the others.
Just wondering if its worth getting them checked and it rebuilt or just send them back.

Hi Graham,
They're generally manufacturer specific so Bilstein rebuild Bilsteins etc.

KW have a UK centre but take your lube and don't be in a hurry. :D
The V3s on my old C2 went for a rebuild when Craig had them. Same as you, one front one was slower to rebound than the rest. £450 for the pair of fronts to be rebuilt.

Again they aren't cheap to deal with and they don't rush. Craig rang up after a week or so to see where his were and the guy says 'Oh yes, they're starting them this week". It was 3 or 4 weeks in total the car was off the road.

Bilsteins UK centre is much better by comparison. It used to be just £85 + vat per corner to have a Billie refurbed.

That's why I always say if I was buying new I'd buy Bilsteins for better aftercare or Ohlins for better adjustment. KWs are great when they're working and not leaking, but expensive to overhaul. :thumb:
I got Craig's C2 ones cheap though thanks to him and my current ones were on the car when I bought it. If I needed all 4 rebuilt in the future though for £1000, I'd consider paying the extra to change to something else.

Oh one last point, maybe V1s will be a bit cheaper to rebuild than the V3s due to having less adjustment etc. Wishful thinking maybe, but worth asking.

This is what I had feared. I have one place to phone today as well to see. Even if it cost me around £200 to fix I'm still better off.

This is what I got, top mounts included as well.

Attachments

• img_20190905_070521_174.jpg
    img_20190905_070521_174.jpg
    336.1 KB · Views: 2,494
Reactive suspension near York will give you some good advice

Basically I have £600 to play with before it would have been better with new. The car they came from was water damage so not involved in a crash.
OR just return then get a brand new set of shocks and springs for no extra cost but then Im fixed on ride height. I was super impressed by the KW1's I had on my RS4 in terms of rdie and they lasted 30k no problems so I think Im going to send these for testing then see.

Will report back.

So got some feedback - one damper is as expected not performing right so that needs work.
The guys at cornering force cannot do the work on these so I contacted KW themselves with part numbers.

Its a rear that's not functioning right so KW are offering two new rear dampers at £360 which I thought was very good. They admitted a rebuild would be more.

So all in including the inspection, tops mounts and two brand new rears I will be £1500 for a set of coilovers ready to fit.

If I send them back Im loosing £200 straight off for shipping and inspection. Therefore if I get me money back and go Koni/H&R route inc new top mounts that will be about £1450 all in.

Bit of a dilemma but Im swaying towards continuing with the KW's for the height adjustability aspect.

In a just over week's time we will have had our suspension comparison day at Bruntingthorpe including KW3s and Konis. I'll keep everyone posted on results.

Mike

Ive just gone with the two new dampers route.

I don't have £2k to spend, £1500 was my limit so figured Id like to get the adjustability in ride height from the KW's with effectively the same price as fixed ride height. I'll watch with interest.

Good move. Definitely worth sticking with the KWs, especially at that price for two new ones.

If I want any work done on mine I'll do as I was going to then and deal with KW, as the place in Harrogate aren't much use if they can't rebuild them.
KW will test them etc hence it's cutting out the middle man.

Thanks for the update Graham. :thumb:

I run KWV1 on my 964, granted I do not cover much mileage in the car, however thus far I have been impressed.

The spring rates are higher than some of their competitors, Bilstien et el, however the damping is good and the car rides well.

In addition to coilovers being height adjustable they look so much better :grin: - Definitely stick with them :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hobie1
Back