Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Problem with Alpine ILX700

Well, I've found that the HU is doing funky things with the DSP and may be interacting with the DSP on the Bose amp, so I've been playing with the settings and found that I could make it work better by using the fader control to attenuate the signal so that the main vol control does something, instead of just, 0 - silent, 1-quiet, 2 - too loud and distorted. Also turned the bass down significantly, as the bass quality is awful anyway.

I've been reading up a lot more about the sound systems in these cars and I will try to live with what I have, otherwise it's replace the amp with a JBL 6 channel d class amp (small) and the speakers for Alpine 10cm ones. Probably disconnect or remove the Bose sub which sounds terrible and replace with a small underseat active sub.

As an aside, I found that the fader and balance function doesn't work with the original PCM2 HU or the amp is partially broken or may be both ...

If you're in London (or, potentially, Reading) anytime soon you are welcome to have a listen to mine for comparison purposes?

PM incoming Dammit ... thanks

I've contacted the supplier for the Autoleads harness and they've been very helpful. They're sending me another harness, hopefully that'll do a better job.

I'm likely to swap out the dash speakers for the Alpine SPG-10C2 as people seem to get good results with these and they're well priced.

I'll hold off doing any more till I hear Dammit's car and the results from my HU driving the existing parts as I'm not expecting hifi in a 996.

Ordered a pair of Alpine SPG-10C2 to replace the dash speakers, I had a £5 ebay voucher, so they ended paying £32 for the set delivered. Harness is on its way.

Is this the Bose amplifier? and the cables are to the speakers and line in?

I've found another rectangular box thing with wires by the spare wheel, I wonder what that does?

uk996 said:
I've found another rectangular box thing with wires by the spare wheel, I wonder what that does?

Potentially a crossover for the subwoofer if you have one?
Removes the high end sections of the audio to prevent damaging a woofer

Stuf, it's too big for that. I've just removed the bracket, to me it looks like a amplifier. Wonder what the other smaller Bose box does? DSP?

Here you go:

Hi,

I've battled a lot of issues trying to get a hybrid Bose/Porsche/Aftermarket solution that's acceptable and have a fish bin full of failed experiments to prove it. I recently had to help a buddy do his facelift similar to yours and in doing so, with little warning and bits available, I wired the front and door speaker in series to get the ohms up, connected straight to car loom for speaker out via the connector at the main amp (making Bose amp redundant) that you found in the boot under the mat (in the mates car this was a cut and solder job, in mine its via the correct plug i salvaged from an Audioleads kit as in pic, (but as supplied the wires were in the wrong places) and pulled the CD changer out and installed a kenwood amp to drive the sub as it was the same dimensions.

Oddly its come out sounding a lot better than any other option I've tried or heard, no hiss and no alternator whine (common issues) and whilst i change out the dash and rear speakers for some alpine ones at some stage, I'm in no hurry now.... Anyway this would mean ditching your DSP and running some speaker wires back to the head unit but its actually a fairly easy job in the porsche.

Attachments

• ddd_143.jpg
    ddd_143.jpg
    614.3 KB · Views: 1,344
I think your speaker wiring from the AMP to the car will be a little different, however same principle applies. As the speaker wires are in pairs (colour and colour+band) is not hard to isolate the pairs. Briefly scratch them across a 9v battery to line the speaker making the scratchy sounds to the wire colour.

See all the removed stuff inc your new bits to recover some costs. People pay silly money for the old OEM stuff.

Lastly, there was no amp in my Sub, wasn't aware this was an option. However its a 1 ohm thing and will kill most amps, so i undid the 7,326 little screws and rewired it so both the speakers are in series and not parallel and its now 4 ohm and works with any small amp you choose to buy.

yo-clarkie,
thanks for your input. It started off with wanting a HU with the usual amenities, like bluetooth and streaming. Up to date maps and navigation would be a plus. It'd also means losing the Nintendo era graphics too.

I gave it to a garage to wire up, but they didn't do a stellar job of it, active aerial was connected etc. Worst of all it sounded crap. I'm not expecting hifi in a noisy car, far from it. There is no clarity, lots of hiss, no sub bass all accompanied with overblown mid bass honk. I could hear the Bose sub behind me suffering (distorting) even at low volume.

I've gone down the rabbit hole of removing the wiring harness recommended by the car audio emporium, they had sent me the wrong one, it had a high to low level connector, but Porsche had elected to wire up the pre-out from the PCM2 via an ISO connector used for speaker out (rectangular, 8 pins), so the garage ended piping speaker out from my new HU (it has preout) to the Bose line-level in. It sounds very poor and I can't control the volume.

I've bought Alpine SPG-10C2 speakers for the dashboard in the mean time, as they were not expensive and reputed to be a big improvement. The door ones I'll leave, as they're supposed to be ok.

My intention is to see if I can use the existing Bose amp to drive this lot, there is the option of ripping the Bose stuff out and replacing it with a Pioneer GM-D1004. I also have a Hertz HDP4 I removed from a previous car, but I saving that for a quieter car.

Do you know the function of the smaller Bose box? I've translated the German, it's called a control amplifer. I think it's the DSP box, the other (lives in the spare wheel well) is larger and has a heatsink.

In theory I should be able to pick up the preout signal from the DSP or power amplifier. Not sure what I can with the Bose sub box, whether to remove it or modify it. I've had very good results with underseat midbass units, Focal ibus20 and equivalent. I'm sure they'll do a better job than the Bose box.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SondeMadiu
Back