Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Reversing-Backup Camera Installation...Struggling here

Zen1

I'm trying to install a backup / reversing camera in my 03' Targa.

I've located camera, run wires to rear light and also drilled the 2nd grommet
to feed the wire through.

Do I need to remove the rear quarter panel trim to be able to get to the coat hanger and wire I'll push through or will just removing the speaker grill suffice.

Thought it was just speaker screws and rear seat lock I needed to remove to the rear quarter panel but it wont budge.

Download the 996 manual from here , it's not targa but close enough..

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=83491

Body internal.

If you haven't already then you need to remove the B pillar trim , seat belt adjuster etc as there is a fixing screw in the rear quarter panel just behind the B pillar trim.

Quarter panel is held in place by push fit clips along the top , the front part has to lift up wards at the base due to locking tabs . .

I have all the manuals and did follow the interior one but it looks like I've missed the C pillar screw.

I did pull the seat belt adjuster cover and a gold coloured clip shot out that I now have to figure out where that fits.:?

Couldn't see how to remove seat belt adjuster but I'll take another look.

I've just done this (again, 2nd time) on my 997 this weekend which I beleive is more or less the same as a 996, you dont need to remove the trim panel, just the carpet bits, you can feed the coat hanger in via the rear light unit, and if you look in the engine bay theres enough room to shine a torch up so you can guide it up to the grommet that youve drilled. Once its in the cabin, you can bend it round the trim and attach the cable to pull through.

Hertsdriver said:
I've just done this (again, 2nd time) on my 997 this weekend which I beleive is more or less the same as a 996, you dont need to remove the trim panel, just the carpet bits, you can feed the coat hanger in via the rear light unit, and if you look in the engine bay theres enough room to shine a torch up so you can guide it up to the grommet that youve drilled. Once its in the cabin, you can bend it round the trim and attach the cable to pull through.

I'll try this first then, many thanks.

Video here i made about rebuilding these ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwakFlGvgMs&feature=youtu.be

Sorry theres no sound , i couldn't ask my daughter to redo it when i found out .. She was far too busy !

The first part shows you the tabs that hold it place and the part i lever against with a plastic trim tool to remove .

A small flat bladed screwdriver to unclip one side , then lever with trim tool whilst pulling .. if still no good screwdriver on the other side tabs.

Doesn't matter if it all falls apart .. you can see how to refit it all in the video .

On a Targa you have better access to the far corner with the quarter panel removed .

Attachments

• pb040039_867.jpg
    pb040039_867.jpg
    602.4 KB · Views: 1,319
deMort said:
Video here i made about rebuilding these ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwakFlGvgMs&feature=youtu.be

Sorry theres no sound , i couldn't ask my daughter to redo it when i found out .. She was far too busy !

The first part shows you the tabs that hold it place and the part i lever against with a plastic trim tool to remove .

A small flat bladed screwdriver to unclip one side , then lever with trim tool whilst pulling .. if still no good screwdriver on the other side tabs.

Doesn't matter if it all falls apart .. you can see how to refit it all in the video .

On a Targa you have better access to the far corner with the quarter panel removed .

You actually have a video for the seat belt adjuster ...wow :thumb:

I ended up removing the side panel trim after all and have successfully pushed through my wire and located it inside.
Just have to tap off the black/blue wire a pull that through with the camera wire.
A job for tomorrow now.

Much appreciated

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back