Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New discs and pads - advice please

🐷

I would expect disks to be consumable parts sakes as pads which are all not covered by warranty! Meaning you won't breach warranty replacing them with another make!

2k for 4x disks and pads is absurd ?

I changed front pads on 2different cars today, Landrover sport 2016 and an Audi Rs4 2017, both sets came in less than £100.

Rgds Lee.

Lee997 said:
I would expect disks to be consumable parts sakes as pads which are all not covered by warranty! Meaning you won't breach warranty replacing them with another make!

2k for 4x disks and pads is absurd ?

I changed front pads on 2different cars today, Landrover sport 2016 and an Audi Rs4 2017, both sets came in less than £100.

Rgds Lee.

Not with the Porsche warranty.................... :hand: In fact I doubt any manufacturers warranty. Say a cheap set of Chinese pads break up and destroyed a caliper which went on to do some more damage, you're saying it would be covered?

Lee997 said:

A warranty claim for an unrelated failure wouldn't be affected but you wouldn't be able to renew the warranty as it would fail the 111 point check.

Seventy Seven said:
Found some good prices on the links provided.

However, been talking to a few local Indy's and they have recommended Brembo or Textar.

One said Brembo discs with Textar pads, as Brembo pads can be squeaky....?

The other said he can do either for the front, fitted for £445 all in!

Any advice re the above? Go both Brembo or both Textar; or mix as above?

Any views on this please?

Also, just spoke to a non-Porsche Indy who said use OEM parts, Brembo and Textar are inferior to OEM as aftermarket - is this correct?

I've used Textar and Pagid on nearly every car I've owned and never had a single issue with either. Took the factory fitted pads out of my Touareg and they were stamped Pagid so if they're good enough for VW.

I have original Porsche discs and pads on my Turbo and they do occasionally make a few noises but I put it down to it not being thrashed/used enough.

Don't over think a problem that isn't there!

:thumb: :)

I was quoted £3600 for pads & discs all round on my Cayenne from OPC Reading... I used original parts and an indie that passed some of his discount to me on the parts and his labour was under half as it was a sensible hourly rate and not telephone number prices... it makes me laugh how an OPC tech only changes oil these days on a service... the rest a computer tells him/her....

Brembo discs and Textar pads as been reported a lot as the best mix, don't forget that you need to replace the caliper bolt when you remove the calipers.

Replacing the bolts is a precautionary measure but not an essential one.

The bolts aren't from my recollection a 'stretch' bolt so only need re torquing to about 63 ft lb's, you could put a bit of Blue Loctite onto the bolt as a precaution, not Red Loctite!

Very happy with autodoc's cheapest discs and proper Textar pads all round on my 996 for 18 months now. Prefer the textar pads to the old pagids that came out.

Just make sure you degrease and paint the bells of the discs before you fit them.

The genuine ones come with a coating on the bells to stop them rusting.

Looks terrible through the wheels if you let them rust.

easternjets said:
Replacing the bolts is a precautionary measure but not an essential one.

The bolts aren't from my recollection a 'stretch' bolt so only need re torquing to about 63 ft lb's, you could put a bit of Blue Loctite onto the bolt as a precaution, not Red Loctite!

That is not what Porsche say, workshop manual says bolt must be replaced if calipers are removed.

Each to their own.

Extortionate prices.

For my sins and when I'm needed I put in a few hours helping my brother who owns a business #ESSEXMOTORSPORTSERVICES ( shamless name drop),
They rebuild and race prep historic race cars as well as supply race support (currently on there way to Spa as we speak).

Anyway the modern well equipped workshop in Essex is able to cater for all servicing needs on all makes at very reasonable prices taking into account that the 65 plate mini that I changed front discs and pads on this morning are obviously going to be cheaper parts than even aftermarket parts for
Porsche but the labour is still the same and it takes the same amount of time to change pads and discs on a Porsche as it does a mini!

So if you need a good honest fair priced service and can get to Essex drop me a mail.

Lee.

Sheep and Shepard''s ?

The laws on warranty have changed? You'll find a detailed description on this very forum!
It is now recognised that many other manufacturers now produce products that are equal too and in some cases superior to OEM, the law now recognises this and manufactures warranties can no longer be refused due to NOT using OEM parts, as long as the parts are fitted by competent ( ie- a garage) then certainly in the case of consumables you cannot be denied warranty cover!

This is law fact!

Better to be informed than uniformed?

Arm yourself with knowledge?

Lee.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back