Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Mercedes C63 sold - alternatives?

Interesting comments gentlemen, thank you. My long suffering wife rolled her eyes and said "I knew you wouldn't keep that car very long". But then she changes her hair style every other week; go figure.

I'm going to look at a 993 tomorrow so we'll see what that brings.
A few others I've thought about but have reservations:
Boxster and Cayman - just don't like how they look I'm afraid, so that rules them out.
Jaguar F Type V8 - surely similar issue to the C63, namely that you can never properly use the thing. Looks lovely though......
S550 Mustang V8 (2016 on) - looks and sounds nice but built like a biscuit tin; build quality is high up on my priorities.
Toyota GT86 and Alfa 4C - only four cylinders so it's a "no" from me. Bit irrational, but there it is, sorry.
Audi R8 hmm hadn't thought of that, will investigate, thanks Ben.

Best wishes to all, Mike.

Counter Of Beans said:
Interesting comments gentlemen, thank you. My long suffering wife rolled her eyes and said "I knew you wouldn't keep that car very long". But then she changes her hair style every other week; go figure.

I'm going to look at a 993 tomorrow so we'll see what that brings.

Best wishes to all, Mike.

Corrected for you :grin:

Don't rule out the 4C just because it has 4 cylinders, they sound fantastic! They sound better than my 997 from the cabin.

Also check out a Lotus Evora S.

Seems like you need to run a Lotus Elise, MX5, Up GTI, JCW, GT86, ST, smallish cars with character. Unfortunately these are all 4 cylinders...

MaxA said:
Seems like you need to run a Lotus Elise, MX5, Up GTI, JCW, GT86, ST, smallish cars with character. Unfortunately these are all 4 cylinders...

This has crossed my mind, and I do drive my wife's R53 Cooper S now and then - MaxA it's not race prepped like yours but is is still a hoot.
I squeezed into an Elise a while ago and found it almost impossible to get out of the thing! Much vaseline and warm spoons were employed to remove me!

I suppose this is becoming a "what car?" thread. I may be seeking a unicorn, but the criteria include the following:
*6 cylinders or more (yes, irrational I know)
*must sound good at low-ish speeds
*decent ride quality
*high build quality (so not a TVR or Mustang)
*not a Lotus since I can't get in and out of them, Evora included
*budget is up to £60k
*must look great (so not a Cayman)
*petrol (I will never buy a diesel again) and ideally manual
*not a water cooled 911, been there done that

Two cars that seem to fit the above are the 993 Porsche and the Boxster (not too keen on the looks but if the drive is good enough I can accept that). For anyone reading from, say, Idlib in Syria, I am fully aware that I am hugely fortunate to be in this position; very much a first world problem. Still, it's a car forum after all.[/list]

Counter Of Beans said:
I suppose this is becoming a "what car?" thread.

Change of thread title required :?:

How about an F Type V6 or the new Supra ?

go have a look at a v8 f type i have one and love it to bits also it very good on fuel. if you near London you can have a look at my one. and it also the best sounding car around.

Dodge challenger scat pack

Or we just ruling out american cars as well?

Otherwise you've got the Alfie's and lexus

American cars and build quality. Might eliminate a lot of them.

I have a Jaguar V6 F type S.

Great car and relatively frugal to run

Had 2 x C63's and i think they are awesome cars,i do little mileage so it doesnt really bother me about the fuel,although i could get 30mpg out of my C63's on a run.

Pity about the 981 Cayman,i had one of them too and found it was a superb car that costs pennies to run..

Some great suggestions here gents, thank you.
The Jag F types look interesting. Whilst I couldn't live with the looks of a Cayman (subjective I know) I am looking closely at a 981 Boxster S.

Interesting to see this thread pop up.

I want a new 992 to replace my JCW Mini and I need a large estate or SUV to replace our ageing 5-series Touring, which no longer has enough front-and-rear legroom to satisfy our tall horde.

In an ideal world we'd buy a Cayenne to go alongside the 992, but I only have £120k to play with (plus whatever the Mini's worth).

Have been looking at an E-class estate. I suspect the E63's fuel economy will bug me, but if I can get a good second hand E43 or E53 then maybe...

Simplessssssss, 981 Boxster GTS.........if your not into tinkering then it is simply the most fun at 'normal" speeds I've had in a sports car for many a year, blows a super car out of the water in that respect ;-)

Counter Of Beans said:
I suppose this is becoming a "what car?" thread. I may be seeking a unicorn, but the criteria include the following:
*6 cylinders or more (yes, irrational I know)
*must sound good at low-ish speeds
*decent ride quality
*high build quality (so not a TVR or Mustang)
*not a Lotus since I can't get in and out of them, Evora included
*budget is up to £60k
*must look great (so not a Cayman)
*petrol (I will never buy a diesel again) and ideally manual
*not a water cooled 911, been there done that

I quite like 'what car' threads (well, a lot more than "is it worth it?" and "whats it worth?" threads as I can't play that game, I no longer live in the UKs and I have no idea what a bacon buttie costs in pounds and pennies), but from this list, and given you're already at least a little partial to a Porsche, I'd suggest a Boxster, preferably a special edition, or a Spyder.

Or if I was looking for a new motor, and I struggled with my hip (old climbing injury), I'd have a pretty short short-list, which would have to include an M2 Competition (at least I think it looks good, if a little chunky and slab sided or an Alfa Romeo Giulia quadrifoglio (which looks great and sounds even greater).

I think the baby M car would fit in your budget, as long as you don't want any toys and stuff - I would only want a decent seat and a manual, no need for willy warmers and big screens and auto wipers (if you can't operate your own wipers you shouldn't be driving a motor vehicle).

And the Alfa, well, just have a look at one in deep red with grey rims. Or dark blue with silver rims for the suave Italian Carabinieri look. If that's not a babe magnet, I don't know what is.

Haha, cheers MaxA..........I went back to Porsche in the end, in the form of a 1995 993, which I've started a thread about. Enjoyed the comment about the Alfa as a "babe magnet" though. As a 57 year old bald accountant with an expanding tummy I think any babe would run a mile when she saw me behind the wheel! Fortunately Mrs COB is all the babe I want, or indeed can afford!

Keep up your Mini R53 thread; it's a great read.

Cheers, Mike.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back