Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Lower door speakers not working

portreathbeach

Silverstone
I recently bought a 2004 997. I know that the standard PCM stereo is said to be pretty bad audio quality, but I was thinking it can't sound as bad as mine.

There doesn't seem to be any bass what so ever. It appears that the lower speakers in each door are not working. I have been reading online about an ASK amplifier mounted under the driver seat. Would the standard stereo I have in my car have this amplifier? And if so, is it used to amplify just the larger door speakers, and does the PCM head unit drive the smaller speakers directly.

Any help would be great

I just checked under the seat, no amp. I then checked in the bonnet behind where the wheel foam etc. is and found the amp.

It seems to have a lot of speaker wires coming from it, so I assume it must amplify the sound for all the speakers in the car, why would only the two lower door ones stop working?

The ASK (Sound package Plus) amp isn't under the seat. It's in the frunk under the tool kit if you have it.

My amp was toast, no bass or sound from the big door speakers. If you are having the same issue, you'll need to send it to Norway to our resident expert for fixing. His service is second to none.

So you had the same problem as me then. Everything working except the lower door speakers?

I am an electrical engineer by trade and if I knew which parts to change in the amp I could probably do it myself. Any idea what the part is that needs replacing?

There was just no bass, I figured fair play, I bought the car because of how it goes... then read on here about the common issue. Speak to Tore, he's a well renowned Porsche electrician based in Norway.

https://www.bergvillfx.com/

Make sure you have that amp first, it's in the front boot behind the toolbox under the emergency triangle.

I just did a bit of investigation. It appears someone has removed the amplifier fuse. I replaced it and now the lower door speakers rumble and hiss. I guess the amplifier is definitely faulty. I'll get hold of the guy in Norway.

Yep, sounds like someone was annoyed so just stopped it working entirely. Tore is your man.

Great news. I sent the amp to Tore in Norway and within a couple of weeks it has been returned and my lower door speakers are now working as they should be.

I shipped the amp to Tore, cost was about £15.

He repairs the amp and sends it back for a cost of about £130.

The return of Marty Wild said:
My amp was toast, no bass or sound from the big door speakers. If you are having the same issue, you'll need to send it to Norway to our resident expert for fixing. His service is second to none.

This. Tore is great. The Amp is known for failing, and will result in the door subs failing. Tore gives a warranty once he has repaired, he did mine about 2 years ago. Let me know if you need his contact details.

Yeah. Tore gives a 5 year warranty, which is pretty good.

I need to sort out the bloody rattles now, since there is now a bit of bass with the music, there are a lot of rattles going on. Maybe need to strip the doors down and have a look.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StephCafe
Back