Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What's the cheapest way of getting winter wheels/tyres?

allenh

Hi there,

I've got a 997.1 C2.

It's a daily driver and was thinking about getting a set of wheels for winter.

I'm assuming that they way to go is get a set of second hand wheels on ebay?

Possibly with winter tyres pre-fitted?

I'm also interested in getting the smallest wheel I can fit. I know 18s are the smallest standard wheel, but is there a 17 inch option?

Thanks,
Allen

You can buy wheels with tyres on eBay. Some are good deals. Watch for age of any used tyres.

allenh said:
Hi there,

I've got a 997.1 C2.

It's a daily driver and was thinking about getting a set of wheels for winter.

I'm assuming that they way to go is get a set of second hand wheels on ebay?

Possibly with winter tyres pre-fitted?

I'm also interested in getting the smallest wheel I can fit. I know 18s are the smallest standard wheel, but is there a 17 inch option?

eBay is the way to go for winter wheels. Sometimes barely used factory sets come up at very helpful savings so keep an eye out for those. Though if you are keeping long term then used wheels and having a brand new set of tyres put on them may still make sense.

I would say that the best way to go is OE wheels, so given that the 997 only ever sold with 18" or 19" - stay with spec would be my recommendation. That also avoids any potential modification issues with your Insurance that way too. I have no idea whether the 996.1 17" rims (there are a few styles) will clear the callipers on a 997 - in theory you would expect so as long as it has the smaller disks of the non-S but I've never heard of anyone actually trying it.

For a daily, swapping to winter wheels and tyres is easy and gives peace of mind.
Just an hour or so to swap (OK that depends on competence / confidence AND how much cleaning /sealing you do on a swap over :D )

I bought mine off a forum member here.
Worth noting, you'll need another car to collect, or perhaps a cab with roof down or they'll not fit.

17s will not clear the brakes on an S.
Best to go std sizes and offsets - check drivers door sticker, 'm+s' is the one iirc.
Alternatively, just std wheels with a set of winter tyres will be so much better in winter.

Thanks for the input folks.

I was thinking about 996 wheels (cheaper?) but I think your comments make sense re Insurance/unexpected problems.

A mate of mine bought my spare set of winter wheels , when I moved to a 997 GTS with centre locks.

He has now sold his car, and last time I spoke to him, they were cluttering up his garage.

The very desirable Carrera Sport 19s, refinished by Exel wheels in satin platinum, and have almost new Nokian N rated winter tyres.

I can ask how much he wants, but I would estimate £1000 delivered.

Attachments

• img_0852_164.jpg
    img_0852_164.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 11,785
  • img_0855_207.jpg
    img_0855_207.jpg
    631.3 KB · Views: 11,785
Thanks for the sugggestion.

Sorry for the late reply. I totally missed your response.

Probably beyond my budget. I'm thinking about a cheap way to do it. e.g about £600

Ive got a set of winter tyres and a spare set of wheels that you can have if you want. Had them for my 996, also fit my 964.

Didnt bother last year, I just use my Cayenne.

They are 17s.

I am in the middle of England.

allenh said:

Probably beyond my budget. I'm thinking about a cheap way to do it. e.g about £600

There was a set for sale on one of the Facebook groups last week. 18's from a 997. £450 with summer tyres on. Struck me as a good buy if looking for a set of winters.

265/40/18
235/40/18

Might have been Porsche owners uk. (Search for Tom Burns) - posted yesterday

Thanks for the tips chaps.

Currently looking at a set on ebay at a reasonable price, but a bit worried about wheel sizing etc.

I'll have a look at those facebook ones.

Thanks for the tip off.

They're just what I'm looking for in terms of wheels, but they are £450 with summer tyres.

I've been doing a bit of shopping and winter tyres (in those sizes) are about £170 each so I'd be well over £1000 with that lot.

Plus they're in Newcastle.

It's possible that I may have to adjust my budget...

James M-S said:
allenh said:

There was a set for sale on one of the Facebook groups last week. 18's from a 997. £450 with summer tyres on. Struck me as a good buy if looking for a set of winters.

265/40/18
235/40/18

Might have been Porsche owners uk. (Search for Tom Burns) - posted yesterday

I've got some 996 Turbo hollows and some solids with a couple of pairs of Nokia's WR tyres. These are 18".

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclassicauto
Back