Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Persistent 997.1 C2S engine fault codes

Yes, I think I've certainly fixed the more significant of the 2 problems. The engine is running smoother since I corrected the O2 sensor connections and it's giving an extra 2mpg and not triggering the engine warning light. However I would also like to fix the secondary air system.

The air ways in the heads were cleaned out when I was rebuilding the engine so I doubt the air is getting through to either head as both banks are always showing the error codes. I'll try to locate a leak or faulty valve.

My car has been going very well since I got it back on the road last May following the engine rebuild. I've covered 6000 trouble free miles. However I've still not fixed this secondary air injection problem and see the PO491 and PO492 error codes every time I plug in the Durametric. With the current enforced isolation I've decided to look into it. Does anyone know if the pump and non-return valve assembly can be removed while the engine is in the car? I guess at the very least the alternator will have to be removed as can be seen in this photo from when I changed the starter motor. I've scoured the internet but can't find any information on removing the SAI pump. Even the 997 manual is next to useless for this task.

Attachments

• 39e87a67_5ea1_4e4d_9e7d_bcde763f8268_210.jpeg
    39e87a67_5ea1_4e4d_9e7d_bcde763f8268_210.jpeg
    337.5 KB · Views: 766
To finally finish this thread off, the problem is solved. It was possible to access the SAI non-return valve with the engine in situ, I had to remove the air box, alternator and knock sensor to give access for a 30 torx bit as shown below.

Sure enough the non-return valve was coked up and not opening when the pump was on (probably not helped by the years the engine was developing the bore scoring and resulting high oil consumption).

In order to check the pump was OK, I activated it with the Durametric and it blew a healthy volume of air down the pipe after the non-return valve was removed.

I managed to free the non-return valve using WD-40 and compressed air but it now also leaks very slightly in the non-return direction so I'm going to purchase a new one.

I did fit it back to the car for a quick start up with the Durametric connected in order to measure the O2 sensor voltages. As shown in the graph below the upstream O2 sensor voltages for both banks now follow the correct lean low voltage trace from the graphs a few posts above. The P0491 and P0492 error codes have also not reappeared.

I'll not run it more with this valve as I don't want to run the risk of damaging the pump if exhaust gases do leak through the non-return valve.

Attachments

• access_to_sai_valve_834.jpg
    access_to_sai_valve_834.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 718
  • upstream_o2_sensors_after_cold_start_111.png
    upstream_o2_sensors_after_cold_start_111.png
    122.9 KB · Views: 718

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member