Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Oil Change

er yes

If it's magnetic it will stick to metal (like the sump )

Not wishing to pee on your parade but are you sure about this ?

I wouldn't bother with the laser tool to remove the oil filter, mine broke after about 0.0005 seconds of use. Fortunately I had bought a new filter housing so just drive a screwdriver through the old one to remove, unfortunately I had lost the receipt for the crappy laser tool!

mattomg said:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-x-1L-bottles-12-Litre-of-Mobil-Super-3000-X1-5W40-Car-Engine-Oil-New/143284817401

12litres for £45

I'd be wary buying oil off eBay from a private seller. Could easily be Monkey jizz.

I've learnt to not buy popular branded bargains from unknown sellers on eBay. If it looks too good to be true it usually is.

Back to the spending £130 on oil for a yearly service. I wouldn't do it but at the same time I wouldn't pull my face over blowing two full tanks of fuel on a spirited drive over the weekend. Funny old world innit.

Moko said:
Right I have been gathering all the parts ready for my first DIY oil change...I've got the Oil....The Oil filter and the new rubber ring but what I think I am missing is the washer for the drain plug or are you just supposed to reuse the old one?

If it's a new washer what size are they and where do you get them?

Often you get one free with the filter (as well as the rubber ring). Have you checked?

My C2 is on 56000 miles and looking back at the history it has had 16 oil changes during its life. The last one was around 2 years ago when I purchased the car at 54k. Changing again after 2000 miles is, as my indy said, probably a waste of money. However, despite that, my gut feeling is to change it anyway. Currently it has Shell Helix Ultra 5-40. Any reason to change from that?

Yeah - mobil 1 on such a low mileage car. I didn't go on to that thick stuff till 120k. :grin:

Alex said:
mattomg said:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-x-1L-bottles-12-Litre-of-Mobil-Super-3000-X1-5W40-Car-Engine-Oil-New/143284817401

12litres for £45

I'd be wary buying oil off eBay from a private seller. Could easily be Monkey jizz.

I've learnt to not buy popular branded bargains from unknown sellers on eBay. If it looks too good to be true it usually is.

Back to the spending £130 on oil for a yearly service. I wouldn't do it but at the same time I wouldn't pull my face over blowing two full tanks of fuel on a spirited drive over the weekend. Funny old world innit.

:chin:

Alex said:

Meant to say it's a good point where we seek cheap oil but think nothing of two tanks of premium for the same price.

The E Bay oil is from Germany & looks OK. Just comes in single litre bottles.

Well I managed to successfully change the oill on Friday.....things I learnt.

1. There's loads more oil in there than you could possibly imagine....glad I bought the 15L oil drain pan.
2. A breaker bar is a really good idea to get oil filter cover off....I didn't have one so it was a real struggle to get loose with just a ratchet.
3. Make sure you have enough bottles/empty oil containers to drain the old oil into after you've put the new oil in (you will still have about 1/3 left of the new oil in one of the containers) so make sure you find another old can from somewhere.

There was on nasty surprise though the original oil filler tube has a huge crack in it...so Ive had to order a new one and it looks like it's going to be fun fitting it after watching a few YouTube videos.

Good job. I think if the oil filter housing has been put on to the correct torque spec it should come off with a ratchet no problem, or at least mine did .

Did you split open the old filter to check for any metallic flakes or small plastic bits at all? Always worth doing just to see if there are any signs of trouble ahead :thumb:

Yes I opened up the oil filter and it was completely clean which was very pleasing.

I'd put up a photo but still can't get the hang of how to from my IPhone.....but there's lots of pictures of the job on my Instagram page db996gb

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qdunrpvcxsty
Back