Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

I''ve decided to expand on the GT3C theme. Just for fun.

-- 997 -- said:
C11BRA said:
-- 997 -- said:
Rid the GT3 badges and keep it sweet at the rear, less is more !! fit the
P O R S C H E badging only and fit some stripes on the bonnet and roof!! will look good!!

J

Liking the black badges. Did you buy them black?

The Stripes are Matt Black, you can get them from Ebay, but had them cut and fitted for me.

Johnd52 said:
Keep the 'tongue in cheek' theme going by using carbon fibre effect vinyl for the stripes.

The Gurney Strip and the Extended rear vents are Carbon Fibre, not prepared to paint them in Matt Black allthough i had the shine taken off leaving them with a Matt look which blends in perfectly!! But having vinyl wrap stripes in carbon fibre well maybe for some, not for me! No Tongue and Cheek here, each to their own i guess.

J

I have access to F1 carbon gurney strips. I might see how they look. But only if it looks subtle. Completely against the theme of my old 996, I really like the genuine GT3 look (ironic that I use the word genuine I know).

Brakes. I like the yellow colour that mine were painted in but totally appreciate that I look like a d!ck who can't afford PCCB. Again, it's not an afford thing, it's more that I can't justify the cost when I don't plan to track this car. Seriously, the Carrera brakes are not exactly Ford Mondeo spec are they. I do actually have a pair of Cayenne Turbo 6 pots which I could engineer the brackets for and fit huge front discs. But surely it is just as bad as the non GT standard brakes to the purists.

Badges. Still thinking of a clever way to keep the style of the GT badging but without people thinking I'm pretending it's a GT3. I'm so not. It's the first thing I tell everyone that talks to me about the car. 'It's fake". When I told my dad, he thought it was a kit car. Like a beetle with a kit on it. Dad! Seriously!

I joked about GTC (earlier in the post). But then are people going to say it's not a GT car. But then again, a GTS is a Carrera with toys added and more power. Mine has upgraded suspension, intake, throttle body & bonkers exhaust & re-map so maybe I could get away with that.

I'm also considering having a badge machined in metal then painted/anodised to the same satin black as the GT3 badge that reads 'KOMFORT REPLIK" (comfort replica). This would mount under the GT3 badge. I'll mock it up if you like the idea.

Cluster. The more I look, the more it looks like a genuine compete GT3 instrument cluster. Some 2007 GT3 RS coding within the electronic control units also leads me to think that this cluster is well integrated into the car. Luckily, the Rev limiter is still correct for the non Mezger lump and the rpm speed appears accurate. Over revs checked & are good, thankfully. BTW. I'm already thinking, if the engine does let go, I'm going to find, build and install a Mezger unit. OMG. Purist melt down!!!!!! That would be SO much fun. (Not even sure what would be involved, but that's how my brain works)

Anyway. Thank you all for your comments, advice & suggestions. Really appreciate them all. Can't wait to see some of you at the next Ace meet, if you're still willing to talk to me. (Billy no mates with the small man parts)

You've got a great attitude.

Have you seen the price of an engine, makes buying a GT3 look like sound financial advice !

£70 K

At that point, and with everything that's involved I'd be into an RS like a rat up a Drain pipe !

2 years free motoring, fill up with fuel and wallop ! Hand it back for more than you paid for it !

C4Silver said:
Have you seen the price of an engine, makes buying a GT3 look like sound financial advice !

£70 K

At that point, and with everything that's involved I'd be into an RS like a rat up a Drain pipe !

2 years free motoring, fill up with fuel and wallop ! Hand it back for more than you paid for it !

I'm sure there would be a way. I'm not saying that I am considering this but if I had to rebuild an engine for this car, I would seriously investigate sourcing a Mezger unit. I am lucky to own an engineering business so it would give me nothing but pleasure to have an engine in the workshop to build. Would be fun.

For now, let's hope my 3.6 holds together.

Which is exactly what my mate did, he'd fancied the idea of of the Mezger for no other reason than over engineering something which he knew was a weak spot on the car right from production.

He too was looking at future proofing his pride and joy, which he sold 3 days after the 5th port of call came back with roughly the same figure as the other 4 !

Fortunately he doesn't own an engineering firm, lord only knows what would emerge from the bowels of such a place if he did. Some kind of flying steam train with tank tracks and rockets attached to it.

He did have a rather nice ageing 356 Speedster in need of renovation which he claims funded the GT car, he sold the Carrera at the same despite the engine never letting go and uses the new one at the most 2 days a year, a lot of wittling about something that never actually happened ?

All told it kept him busy for the best part of a month, his favourite part of the whole saga was trailering the old car to its new home with the look of amazement on the faces of other drivers as they passed...... he regretted selling it immediately !

Badge idea.

oh my good god please tell me thats a joke!!

just take the badge off or put a 911 one on there. :pc:

NLW73 said:
oh my good god please tell me thats a joke!!

just take the badge off or put a 911 one on there. :pc:

This.

Re the calipers , I get they shouldn't stay yellow, and your looking for ideas, I would be looking at a body coloured match that would work imo. :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
Re the calipers , I get they shouldn't stay yellow, and your looking for ideas, I would be looking at a body coloured match that would work imo. :thumb:

Seconded. It is almost a case of anything except PCCB yellow. Black, red, body coloured, silver, even gold (if that is your thing) all ought to work. It is simply that if they are yellow then you kind of want something with 6 pot front callipers and disks of a size to match. Body coloured is an interesting choice as it clearly indicates that the car has been tastefully personalised rather than leading to a suspicion of trying to look like something else. :thumb:

Phil 997 said:

It's a shame though if the seatbelts etc are yellow though. Will look a bit miss matched if you introduced another colour. Maybe go body colour or black on the callipers and then have some yellow Porsche decals or stripes on the exterior to match the interior yellow touches, might look more cohesive from interior to exterior.

Liking the body coloured calipers idea. Never actually considered that.
What about yellow PORSCHE logo on the calipers? Subtle?

Not sure about stripes. I'll give them some more thought.

Yellow and grey is a classic colour combination, and if you can't have yellow calipers because of some reason (it wouldn't worry me as it is perfectly obvious when a car isn't rocking big ass ceramic two piece discs), then body coloured or black calipers would work well (especially with a yellow Porsche logo, as you say).

You then might only need a central bonnet stripe, or yellow wing mirrors, or the central section of the wing painted or wrapped in yellow to integrate the whole colour scheme.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back