Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Black 2002 996.2 C2 - Daily Driver

Very nice, 997 seats in a 996 :eek: please tell me how!?

I'll cover that question as it's my old car 😁

Unbolt 996 seats, cut off electrical connectors, solder connectors on to 997 seats, bolt 997 seats in. 😂😂😂

Glad you are enjoying it Rob, missing it loads & wish I hadn't sold it (again!!) but chuffed you are loving it!

All the best

T

Tomodan said:
I'll cover that question as it's my old car 😁

Unbolt 996 seats, cut off electrical connectors, solder connectors on to 997 seats, bolt 997 seats in. 😂😂😂

Glad you are enjoying it Rob, missing it loads & wish I hadn't sold it (again!!) but chuffed you are loving it!

All the best

T

Should be a thread all on its own - apparently the 997 seats are even better then the 996 wingbacks, but the electrical connectors are the limiting factor for most of us.

Tomodan said:

Hi mate, good to see you on here! :D

Yes, enjoying it greatly - she's definitely a good 'un. Thanks again for the honest/transparent sale.

eabeukes said:
apparently the 997 seats are even better then the 996 wingbacks

Agreed. IMO the 997 Sport seats are superior to any of the 996 seats I sat in/tried in any of the 996s I viewed when I was looking for one. They sit you lower and offer more support. One of the reasons I was so keen on this 996.

Cheers, Rob

Popped over to Wales to pick up a spare gearbox yesterday. Plan to rebuild myself and have 'on the shelf' for if/when mine goes.

sBK68Aw.jpg

Lots of room with pass seat out!

When it comes to collecting a gearbox.....

Thats thinking outside of the box! :roll: :thumb:

Yeah, I'd taken the opportunity to get some jobs done on my other car and it was in bits when the need to pick up the gearbox came up... meaning the 996 was the only option!

Started to strip the box down today in prep for a rebuild - was sold to me as having second gear issues but I can't find anything wrong with any of the gears, syncros, collars or any of the selectors.

eM77gGI.jpg

etAmvUh.jpg

The LSD is correct and present, judging by the grease on the magnet the pinion bearing needs replacing.

However, whilst continuing the strip down it suddenly dawned on me that the box is from a .1 (and not a .2 as my car and as described in the sale). The .1 gearbox won't fit a .2 (the nose casing is shorter and a different shape) so I'll either use this box as a practice one/for spares or sell on for someone else (with a .1) in more need than me.

Popped down to Epernay for the weekend to visit the champagne region - the 996 did another great job of swallowing all the camping gear and zooming across the UK and through northern France.

It was a flying visit - left at 4am on Saturday morning and home for 9pm on Sunday night. 800 miles round trip and didn't feel too knackered after.

naEEMvx.jpg

Met up with a mate and his McLaren 650s on Sunday at the old F1 circuit in Reims:

TW3z20p.jpg

Now on 153k miles - time for another oil change!

Using it as intended and looking good at the same time (my favourite colour/model/wheels). :thumb: :thumb:

Hey Rob, loving the car (And the write ups!)

One thing you may want to consider if you are tall (As you mention) is the GT3 lower console delete as I fitted to mine (Im 6'5"). Available for about £130 from OPC it removes the lower console storage unit (The one with CD holders etc.) and leaves a cleaner looking interior but crucially also allows your left leg to pivot more inboard in the car so meaning that (In my case) my knuckles don't clash with my thighs whenever I try turning the steering wheel.

Minor change that utterly transformed the comfort of my car!

Oh, and always stick to the "Sports" seats (Be they from the 996 or the 997) as they mount about 1.5" lower in the car than the "Comfort" (Multi electric) seats. My old 996 had the comfort seats and my head was always wedged under the (Sun) roof. My current 996 with sports seats has loads of headroom, even WITH the sunroof!

I do recommend the centre console delete though!

Thanks chaps

Dagerous said:
I do recommend the centre console delete though!

Centre console is long gone - pulled it out for the reasons you describe! Just need to order the bits of carpet/trim to cover up the gubbins it exposes

Needed new rears the other day - stonking deal on PS4s from Blackcircles and a mobile fitter came and did them at work.

LHpNS90.jpg

Just in time for autumn

Busy week for the 996

1 - oil change. My second since I've had the car, takes longer to get everything out the garage than to do.

Oil drained down carefully and filter dissected - both reassuringly clear of any worries.

r1ArZKt.jpg

jDnRcnC.jpg

dOWzrWX.jpg

2- trackday at Silverstone. Surprisingly quiet as can be seen from the pic below - I think the weather put most off.

yHFPFwi.jpg

C1kMluh.jpg

3 - the daily grind. It's that time of year now where the car is dirty all the time bar the 15 minutes after it's been washed. Doesn't bother me as it makes me feel less bothered about being left parked in city centres, in this case Oxford. Took the pic as couldn't believe how small the 996 looked compared to a regular Punto.

76UMTPV.jpg

Black is a total arse, great seeing you and the car enjoying itself.

Thanks. Washed it last weekend, looked like this 5 days later after another zillion miles of commuting and running around:

t0r3Qb3.jpg

Fortunately it cleans off easily:

L3GCea1.jpg

Also removed the rear wiper (can see difference in above pics) as haven't used it once since owning the car and thought it looked rubbish. Bung in:

DTZgXbL.jpg

And fitted a set of LED headlights as I noticed the standard H7 lamps are cack.

wiXVHxd.jpg

Will report back how I get on with them!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PC Saros
Back