Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
992 : 2019- 1
991 : 2011- 17
997 : 2004- 80
996 : 1997-2005 32
993 : 1993-1998 4
964 : 1989-1993 2
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 3
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 1
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 0
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 25
Cayman : 2005- 16
Cayenne : 2003- 2
Macan : 2014- 4
Panamera : 2009- 0
912-914-924-928-944-968 1
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 0
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [992] 2018-Current
Porsche 911 [992]
911 [991] 2011-2019
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-2012
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

hopeydaze
Monza

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drive them. Drive your 993. It’s a wonderful experience. Left Bath this morning, caught the 0950 Eurotunnel to Calais and then drove to Mainz near Frankfurt. Probably 500 miles, didn’t reset the trip meter as I was driving because we all know that breaks it and means you can show zero mileage until it’s fixed just prior to your next MOT.

Cruised at around 80mph until the German border, car said it was home and immediately hit 125 with no input from me. Thanks to Center Gravity and Christian Sanger’s good fettling it just stayed there at warp speed, absolutely steady until it got to the Hilton in Mainz, see photo

993s are fantastic and beg to be driven.

Luddite
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a selective Luddite, I have to stand up and admit to also holding Illuminati tendencies, though have never had a beard or sandals and have driven/ridden classic machinery over rough roads, on snow and ice, on race tracks and have been known to use substitute parts to tide things over till I could afford to replace it/them with quality kit. I have also had a GREAT deal of fun in a patchwork Porsche with at least one 8x4 sheet of metal cut shaped and welded in to various panels ... I owned quite a few other sports cars that were welded back together by similar means that with a pound or two of cataloy, paint and polish the finished car looked pretty smart...and as I have already typed, they provided a great deal of fun..(-: As to how they might perform in an accident situation other than a fender bender is anyone`s guess...but then to expect any old vehicle to protect it`s occupants as might a new out of the box Porsche seems a tad...err.... over optimistic..? Not something most folk want to contemplate when buying into the "classic" market I guess..?

I suspect any who may take the time to read this ramble may wonder why I might think I of myself as in any way identifiable as a possible follower of the Illuminati cult... (-: Truth be told we all set our own datums from which to measure how far we might stroll of in any direction relative to our personal desires..?

Being of the age I am, my vehicular datums tend to be those initially created by the end product of Porsche manufacturing as it was in the time of the air cooled cars, thus originality is valued in relation to the quality of the design and it`s constituent parts. Having owned and restored all sorts of sports cars I ended up with an appreciation of Porsche engineering, which seemed hard to improve upon when compared to anything I had put a spanner to, up until that time. Sure Jap cars were coming on leaps and bounds mechanically, but still rotted out in jig time.. From the 1977 the SC onward the monocoque had been galvanised, and every new model year 911 had both more engine performance AND fuel economy, that just added to the list of engineering excellence which certainly impressed me.

On my second SC I converted the timing gear to oil fed chain tensioners and used O.E. parts, though due to financial considerations I fitted and after-market silencers. Had O.E. been affordable. I would have used O.E. My SC was used in a magazine article around the time of the launch of the 993, and the author slagged off my cheap tyres... But had I the cash available to buy Pirelli at the time that is what it would have worn...I made do with "funny Fuldas"..(-:

As for those who have the great desire to adopt whatever may be the current STYLE as determined by their chosen pier group ... go for it if it makes you happy, but if you end up with over sized wheels tyres no thicker than rubber bands, overly hard suspension and ground clearance that if you run over a, coin you know if it is heads or tails up.. Also if you ground aspects of your 911`s underside when the road is other than reasonably smooth or have to seek out routes devoid of traffic calming, it seems to me that perhaps STYLE has been prioritised over reasonable levels of practicality IF driving the machine over any distance and with any regularity is part of the plan...?

I have spent quite some time on the www over the years reading of folk who modified their cars and in time reduced their usage or enjoyment of their machine as the result, and for a variety of dare I type..err.. obvious reasons... Some became too precious and others to uncomfortable or difficult to drive in traffic, or basically ran like pigs, the way any true race car might in similar surroundings to those found during rush hour traffic.... Sure 911`s as I knew them when I had hands-on were real quality machines in every sense I could think of, but if like me you had cookie cutters, you probably fancied the Fuchs fitted to the SC Sport, or the Sport models Bilstines compared to the Boge units of the non sport... or the heavier bolstered seats of the sport compared to those in the non-sport... So yes, loads of room for modifying that which was ORIGINALLY fitted as the O.E. with other O.E. kit with no sacrifice in quality.

As I typed, I used non O.E. kit to keep my Porsches on the road at times too, though did I think that was ideal... or would make my 911 worth more than it was had O.E. kit been used....?

There is loads of poor quality kit out there manufactured in not much better than mud huts, and it can find it`s way on to high performance cars, even on on occasion onto aircraft too.. How far is too far to take things... well that is up to you... just don't expect everyone to be impressed with your cheap plastic body kit making your NB into a WB, or whatever other modification might suit your heart desires....

Spotted a lovely 964 RS replica at a show this year, the owner told me it was not an original RS... mattered not a jot to me, it looked just fantastic and would look even better in my garage...(-:

Never drove a 964, but the 993 I drove was brand new, and felt as if carved out of the solid as I had come to expect of Porsche engineering.... Time has passed, and when I look back, I have read of all sorts of issues from the 964-on that seemingly came with the required increase in complexity both relative to regulatory requirements and performance enhancements which risked reducing reliability in time, and increasing maintenance costs, more so with a car that is perhaps 20 years old and more for obvious reasons..? The cost and availability of O.E. parts for an OLD car would seem to determine whether originality is available, or indeed if after-market has made available even higher quality parts than those Porsche originally designed...? Yup, a fair bit of room for err..adaptation, though at car shows the tut, tut brigade will engage in almost orgasmic levels of enjoyments hould they ever find fault, the harder to find the better the experience for them, though perhaps more likely engaged in, on the basis of envy as opposed to judgement of engineering excellence... ? (-:

Quality... Not all vehicles are manufactured to the degree as could be found in my SC`s. My long term old sports car has many after-market items used to keep it roadworthy and improve functionality, right down to nuts and bolts that are made of stainless steel, which were no part of the original design, and certainly look nicer after many years, than rusted components would do. SS nuts and bolts can make taking things so much simpler, but then my old sports car is no Porsche, it was designed and manufactured under a totally different set of principals in terms of cost and engineering, thus it seems reasonable that some improvements can indeed be justified... ? (-:

Praise be to the illuminati... preservation of values has a place for sure... as for those who screw the nuts off their cars and repair them or indeed just throw them away when they are finished... GREAT, if I can see hear and enjoy a tiny part of that process if/when I attend a sporting event, or just catch a glimpse of a machine on the road as it`s roar or screech catches me by surprise and it disappears off down the road at speed... as a CARsonova, I enjoy machines of all sorts, and in many and varied ways... Smile

orangefender
Silverstone

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kingroon wrote:
orangefender wrote:
I certainly hope they are dying out as I’ll never shift mine otherwise!

Funnily enough, when standing in a queue for the camp site at Spa last weekend randomly got chatting to someone else with a modded 993 that also gets used.

Perhaps demographics of ownership are shifting.

That was me you were chatting to Smile Great to meet you Cool

Didn't see you the over the Weekend, but hope you had a great one..!

Hi,

Great to meet you too. Small world!

Had a great weekend and did spot the 968 in the glamping. Definitely the way forward(!) though the site wasn’t too bad.

Perhaps I’ll even chuck some miles on the 993 next year.

Ian

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: