Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Fuel gauge

Steve Wright

Spa-Francorchamps
I was low on fuel the other day and had to stop at supermarket so just put 20quid in , now I have had it before on a previous car where the gauge doesn't move so that's ok . Any way put 40 quid of shell in the same day and the gauge slowly went upto half. Ive used it a few days fine and the gauge is now showing quarter but the engine cut out just before I got home. So I'm wondering if it's low on fuel and the needle isn't acting correctly going the other way. Is this a fault any one else has seen.

How many miles have you done on a half tank of fuel ?

If the best part of 200 and its reading a quarter full and wont start then i would assume the gauge has stuck .. many pipes in the tank it can catch on.

I'm assuming about 400 miles per tank full for this .

Also yes to your question ... i have seen it before .

C4 or any saddle tank and if you don't put enough fuel in when empty then it will stay at empty as its a calculated value below about 1 third of a tank ...

In short it needs to have the fuel lvl above 1/3 for it to be able to see and register a value .

Put what car you have in a signature please :)

DeMort I have a 997 C4S and I've just run low on fuel while searching for a shell station (I only put £15 in as I won't be driving the car for a while). However when I got in the car the fuel gauge stayed where it was (low). So I put another £15 in and still the gauge didn't budge.

From reading your post above do I take it that I need to fill it up further to dislodge the sender?

Thanks

buttertubs said:
DeMort I have a 997 C4S and I've just run low on fuel while searching for a shell station (I only put £15 in as I won't be driving the car for a while). However when I got in the car the fuel gauge stayed where it was (low). So I put another £15 in and still the gauge didn't budge.

From reading your post above do I take it that I need to fill it up further to dislodge the sender?

Thanks

Whilst waiting for deMort, have a read here;

http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?...&start=0&sid=3282765d62063adf69b4aad7b45d0bdf

pzero said:
buttertubs said:

Thanks

Whilst waiting for deMort, have a read here;

http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?...&start=0&sid=3282765d62063adf69b4aad7b45d0bdf
Many thanks for that, that explains it :thumb:

I did search but obviously didn't go far enough back.

Thanks again

rickprice said:
How do I get 400 miles to a tank? 250 is about max for me.

snap

something to do with a lead right foot I believe :floor:

A typo from me i expect , its an old post and i was younger and more impatient then :floor: ..

I never said i was perfect you know .. 300 miles depending on how you drive the car .

I've just got 365 out of my last tank (997 C4S) but that was all conservative motorway driving.

Usually I get about 250 max to a tank with more local driving..

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barrywhite
Back