Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Test drove a 718 today

JonD

So following my 981 post, after doing a lot of research, looking around the market and playing the numbers it seems the 981 isn't adding up and a 718 is making more financial sense.

I know the pursuits amongst us will be screaming noooo, but I actually quite liked it, up to date tech in the cabin, sound wasn't as bad as I expected. The noise and pace didn't seem as nice/quick as my current M2 (BMW's straight 6 is a peach), but I reckon on the open road the weight difference will come into play, ride quality was much nicer in the cayman, the cabin is also much nicer with its full leather, alcantara and glossy carbon.

PDK felt much nicer around town, than the DCT but didn't feel as quick changing gear, would need more of a spirited drive to fully compare the two.

The 718, especially in S guise, is a great car but you'll be in a minority if you prefer it to the 981.

Of course most on here do have a bias towards flat-6s. :wink:

I believe that the 718 will offer a 6 pot in most variants soon enough ......

I was offered a slot for the new GT4 but declined as im sure there are some ' interesting ' variants coming along ....

The current 4 pot just doesn't do it for me ... its a paradox .... looks like a ' proper 'Cayman/ Boxster' but sounds like an Audi S3 ( one of which I owned recently and it was a great car as it doesn't pretend to be what it isn't )
I recall being in an OPC when the first 718 arrived in the showrooms ... it just wasn't right somehow... started up in the showroom to move it around and had me looking on in disbelief..

Tech in the cabin................. Im not interested ... all these latest gadgets .... keep them .... get back to basics ......I might draw the line at manual windows though .... !

The 718 looks better than the 981 though ... there is an incremental improvement there.......

T

I must be a ' purist ' after all ......

T

I had a 718 Boxster on loan from my OPC when my GT4 went for service.

Lovely car, but like many people I couldn't get past that engine. Felt like I was back in my old Golf R.

With the recent announcement the the cayman and boxter will become hybrid or electric with the next generation in 2022 I'd have thought it's unlikely the 6 cylinder will return to these models, their R&D is clearly focused on electrifying their range.

JonD said:
With the recent announcement the the cayman and boxter will become hybrid or electric with the next generation in 2022 I'd have thought it's unlikely the 6 cylinder will return to these models, their R&D is clearly focused on electrifying their range.

I think you will find that 6 pot 718 offerings will be back on the menu sooner than your news feed would have you think ....

JonD said:

:eek: you need to catch up :grin:

T8 said:
The 718, especially in S guise, is a great car but you'll be in a minority if you prefer it to the 981.

Of course most on here do have a bias towards flat-6s. :wink:

In my experience those who have a 981........ it's because of the 718 ie they would have been in a 718 but for the engine............IMHO it's why the 981 GTS is holding value so well ie people who could easily afford a 718 are missing that generation out and signs are Porsche has listened hence why a 6 cylinder variant is on the horizon.........what will that mean for 4 cylinder 718 in terms of value.......the market will decide ............hybrid must be around the corner for these cars so the last of the 718's with 6 cylinder engines must be worth waiting for ............but they even they won't sound as good as the 981 by all accounts :dont know:

I'll carry on 'downgrading" thank you very much, Porsche hit a sweet spot for me before the current generations and my new 5G phone has more tech :wink:

JonD said:
So following my 981 post, after doing a lot of research, looking around the market and playing the numbers it seems the 981 isn't adding up and a 718 is making more financial sense.

I know the pursuits amongst us will be screaming noooo, but I actually quite liked it, up to date tech in the cabin, sound wasn't as bad as I expected. The noise and pace didn't seem as nice/quick as my current M2 (BMW's straight 6 is a peach), but I reckon on the open road the weight difference will come into play, ride quality was much nicer in the cayman, the cabin is also much nicer with its full leather, alcantara and glossy carbon.

PDK felt much nicer around town, than the DCT but didn't feel as quick changing gear, would need more of a spirited drive to fully compare the two.

I'd be surprised if your M2 changed gear faster than a PDK. Did you try it in sport or sport+? In standard auto mode I could imagine why you'd think that. Have driven several 718's of all types, and won't be moving from my 981CS.

Thread resurrection alert. :D

Pulling out of a junction today I saw a beautiful looking Porsche coming towards me but didn't immediately recognise what it was. The headlights were on so I knew it was a recent car by the four lights in each unit.

As it went past I quickly realised it was a GT Silver Cayman.

Dropping in behind it I was stunned to see how good it looked. The model badging was deleted so I don't know if it was a base car or an S but I do know it looked absolutely stunning.

The fact that it was a 68 plate and the position of the latest Porsche lettering of course confirmed it was a much maligned 718 so, of course, I'd never actually contemplate buying one ............ or would I :?:

ScotGT4 said:
No Terry NO!

:cop:

Don't worry Scot. Me and the Red 'pace car' will be a feature for the foreseeable future. :D

Love the 718
We had the 2.0 in yellow (ex press car) and was fully loaded including torque vectoring. Fantastic build quality, fast and handled brilliantly
Engine noise apart better than the 981 in every way
Don't listen to the purists :grin:

TurboSandGT4 said:
Love the 718
We had the 2.0 in yellow (ex press car) and was fully loaded including torque vectoring. Fantastic build quality, fast and handled brilliantly

+1 Just taken delivery of my red Cayman 2.0, and they're great

TurboSandGT4 said:
Love the 718
Plus 1!!
I am so impressed with the 718 cayman four pot. What a great performing motor and it sounds epic. What else can you want??!!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back