Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New discs and pads - advice please

TheCock

Mexico City
Hi all, need discs and pads all round on 2010 997.2 Carrera, 29k miles, lowered springs and cross pipes. Not tracking it, just normal fast road stuff.

Porsche want £2k all round.

So comments on what you've done or even if the OEM is a good route is welcomed.

Ta

Go on carparts4less.co.uk Wang your reg plate in, search for discs and pads, look at the options, then purchase what you fancy, don't forget to enter their discount code on their home page banner. Will be around £500 for the lot tops. Pagid are usually the known preferred budget ones but they're all mostly similar.

Then bob down to your local garage and ask them to whack them on or DIY. :thumbs:

Alex said:
Go on carparts4less.co.uk Wang your reg plate in, search for discs and pads, look at the options, then purchase what you fancy, don't forget to enter their discount code on their home page banner. Will be around £500 for the lot tops. Pagid are usually the known preferred budget ones but they're all mostly similar.

Then bob down to your local garage and ask them to whack them on or DIY. :thumbs:

Nice one. Thanks :thumb:

If its not mega urgent, also check autodoc for prices - even better value but took about a week to arrive.

I went with new brembo discs, pads anti-rattle shims and wear sensors, Brembo hats/bells have a very effective anti- rust finish.

Gsf autoparts use their 60 percent code, relative easy job plenty of YouTube how tos.

Beware with Autodoc, I've used them quite a lot recently and they have a small charge at the end of the order, which is optional although it defaults to it, saying that there is a no quibble returns policy!
Well it ain't no quibble, I bought a pair of Metzger brake discs for my Boxster, took them to the garage and they wouldn't fit. Checked and double checked the part number, make model etc and Autodoc blamed me saying I'd ordered the wrong ones but I hadn't, the numbers matched but the discs wouldn't go on due to a ridge on the inside of the disc.
Eventually after lots of checking and arguing they very begrudgingly agreed to take them back and refund me.

I normally wait for ECP to have a 'one off' special sale event and buy them then, the last discs I got which I think were Pagid had the same stamps as the ones I took off, they fitted perfect and with new pads worked out about £200. It's a pretty easy DIY job, certainly easier than a flippin Honda Jazz that I did the week before!
You will need a 10mm hex key, if you have that your good to go.
Also get the sensors as they inevitably crumble when you try to pick them out.

on this topic, does anyone actually have a definitive view on which discs and pads are actually the OEM equivalent to Porsche. I would assume that whilst you can save money going to ECP or GSF etc, anyone with an OPC Warranty running would probably want to keep to OEM just to avoid any problems with claims down the line (e.g. if the calipers gave up could an OPC turn around and say the brakes are non-OEM from looking at markings and deny the claim).

I'm pretty sure that they use Pagid pads as do VW.

Not sure about the discs.

997 pads from Porsche are Textar, they wont have the Porsche logo or number on them but should be good for warranty. Discs are SHW and only available through OPC. Would they pick up on Pagid or Sebro discs fitted if you had a warranty? Probably not but is it worth the risk?

Billy Bumpsteer said:
997 pads from Porsche are Textar, they wont have the Porsche logo or number on them but should be good for warranty. Discs are SHW and only available through OPC. Would they pick up on Pagid or Sebro discs fitted if you had a warranty? Probably not but is it worth the risk?

Fekin right they would! I know a guy who changed the pads on his GT-3 (under OPC warranty) and his OPC pulled him on the grease/lube he'd used around the caliper piston seals. It wasn't Porsche approved grease apparently, ffs :roll:

Norfolk & Idea said:
Billy Bumpsteer said:

Fekin right they would! I know a guy who changed the pads on his GT-3 (under OPC warranty) and his OPC pulled him on the grease/lube he'd used around the caliper piston seals. It wasn't Porsche approved grease apparently, ffs :roll:

That's nuts..did they deny his claim as a result?

Seems there are various views on what actually are the OEM discs and pads just from the few responses on this thread so probably goes to show it is a bit of a gamble I guess if you have a warranty and go outside of the network for parts.

BlackTurbo said:
Norfolk & Idea said:
Billy Bumpsteer said:

No. He was in for something unrelated, not warranty work. But they picked up on it and gave him the heads up.

BlackTurbo said:
Norfolk & Idea said:
Billy Bumpsteer said:

Seems there are various views on what actually are the OEM discs and pads just from the few responses on this thread so probably goes to show it is a bit of a gamble I guess if you have a warranty and go outside of the network for parts.

Textar & SHW no ifs, no buts

Found some good prices on the links provided.

However, been talking to a few local Indy's and they have recommended Brembo or Textar.

One said Brembo discs with Textar pads, as Brembo pads can be squeaky....?

The other said he can do either for the front, fitted for £445 all in!

Any advice re the above? Go both Brembo or both Textar; or mix as above?

I went with the OE options (textar and Sebro) and they squeal on and off so I wouldn't guarantee that any brand doesn't have the potential to squeal

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R6demon
Back