Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Stupid Question - 996 vs 997 gear throw

Jay Are

Is the throw on the 996 turbo gear shift longer than a 987 or 997?

How do i get the specs for such a comparison??

JR

Might be better asking in the 997 sub section as more 997 turbo owners have owned a 996 turbo rather than the other way round.

Jay Are said:
Is the throw on the 996 turbo gear shift longer than a 987 or 997?

How do i get the specs for such a comparison??

JR

I would say so - yes. My 996 turbo was fitted with SS, my 997 turbo is standard but feels the same.

Hope that helps

I believe the G97 gearbox throw is 15% shorter than the G96. Not sure if that applies to turbos as well as Carreras.

MC

I believe it is, I purchased the 997 GT3 shifter for my car, which with the stock lever felt good - very precise and slightly shorter in throw than the stock 996 unit which it replaced.

Then I fitted a Function First shifter which is much longer than the OEM shifter, and it made the shift too ponderous - I changed that for the 997 SSK shift unit and it bought the shift throw back to a nice length.

This has given me an idea. I think I could make my solid bearing ssk adjustable on the throw so users can set them to their own preference.

I changed from 996 to 997 and Alex added his custom bearing set up. The shift is about 1" less front to back, closer to the original shift travel than the short shift kits which I personally found too short and notchy and an excellent upgrade.

Oops, ignore this. Posted in wrong thread.

We need a delete option on here. :wink:

Cheers guys,

I thought that might be the case. The G96.50 is also, basily a tractor unit by all accounts. I think they must have softened the gearbox/ change with the 997 methinks which enabled the shorter throw...

Right, off to find the 996 gear change mechanism to measure!!!

:thumb:

For the std carrera it's an upgrade going to a 997 gear lever in terms of taking out slop and also shortening up the throw just a little (not enough to make it notchy, just nice)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davey2233
Back