Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Which 2011/2 911 would you buy?

mrcliff

Hello!

I am in the market for a new car. I currently have a low mileage 2004 996 - which I love but just fancy a change.

I want to get another Porsche but I'm not an expert on the marque and wondered what your thoughts were on this..

I'm looking at a 2011 / 2012 C4S which (I think) puts me right in the middle of a late 997 or and early 991. Does anybody have an opinion on -

- which car would hold it's value better
- servicing costs
- know issues to look out for
- which is the better driving car (dangerous question I'm sure!)

or anything else that I should consider?

Thanks!

991s are still depreciating slowly but steadily. 997s have held steady for a couple of years but have started to depress as 991s get cheaper.

Servicing costs are similar although 997s will achieve 'classic' status a bit sooner at OPCs in a couple of years.

There are no real 'known issues' on either model although a PPI on any specific car would always be advisable.

The 991 is an evolution of the 997 but both have their fan-bases. Driving both is the only way for you to know which you prefer. I prefer the newer 991.

The big thing to consider is budget. Equivalent 991s are still significantly more expensive than 997s - especially at 4S and GTS level.

Happy Hunting :thumb:

I was of the opinion that you should buy the newest 911 that you can afford, however having had my 997.2 for over 4 years I still can't bring myself to replace it with a 991.

Moving from a 996 both will feel like a major step up terms of the tech, but the sat nav is still crap :grin:

The 997.2 could sound better and needs PSE and a bypass mod to sound decent. The 991.1 is better sounding if that is a requirement.

Both great cars though so you won't be disappointed whichever you choose.

Try them both and then decide and enjoy the hunt.

I think a big part of the answer is which gearbox do you want. If PDK I'd lean towards 991 as it's an updated/better version, if manual I'd go 997 C2S or even GTS...Manual 997 will be the best car from a depreciation perspective.

Also depends how you want to use it...for me 991 feels a bit more GT than a 997 so probably a better daily.

997 GTS are in demand over early 991 C2S

911UK said:
997 GTS are in demand over early 991 C2S

Prices have obviously softened like everything else but last time I looked there wasn't a manual RWD 997 GTS coupe for sale.

Keep thinking about selling mine but need to decide which 911 would replace it.

Related question, from someone continuing to learn about these cars... Having driven both the 997.2 GTS and 997.2 4WD GTS I couldn't (in my inexperienced Porsche driving opinion) notice a huge difference.

Would I be right in assuming a RWD - and especially a manual - would hold its value better with purists / collectors who seek out these things?

Probably in the long term but I don't think there'll be a lot in it. Both will always find a market as there will always be buyers with a preference for either.

I certainly wouldn't let it be a factor in my decision making process if the right car came along.

Thanks.

Just wondered having never had a automatic before.

I also hadn't realised there was a difference between the PDK boxes in the 997.2 and 991... is it a really noticeable difference like between the tiptronic and the PDK?

dgorie said:
I also hadn't realised there was a difference between the PDK boxes in the 997.2 and 991... is it a really noticeable difference like between the tiptronic and the PDK?

:grin: No.

If you couldn't notice the difference between a 2wd and 4wd car I think you'd be hard pushed to notice how much (little) better the 991 PDK is over a 997.

In nearly 11 years I've never found cause to grumble about the Tip' boxes but any PDK is an awful lot better.

It's not night and day different, but I find the PDK in my 991 smoother and quicker over my 997, instant in manual mode, changing down in rapid successful is a lot of fun. Definitely makes the most of the 3.4 engine in mine, feels a quicker car than my 997 3.8 did.

Thanks
Also what difference does 'classic status' at the OPC make?
Different servicing options?

How old does a car have to be to achieve this status.

dgorie said:
Also what difference does 'classic status' at the OPC make?
Different servicing options?

How old does a car have to be to achieve this status.

I seem to recall that the 996 was added to the 'classic servicing' list in 2013 which implies it's 15 years but I haven't heard that the 997.1 is on the list yet.*

That said, OPCs seem to be moving away from menu pricing so I don't know whether separate pricing such as this still applies.

* EDIT: It dawned on me later that in 2013 the last 996 produced would have only been 8 years old so perhaps 'Classic Servicing' is typ/model related rather than by car age. :dont know:

MJA911 said:
It's not night and day different, but I find the PDK in my 991 smoother and quicker over my 997, instant in manual mode, changing down in rapid successful is a lot of fun. Definitely makes the most of the 3.4 engine in mine, feels a quicker car than my 997 3.8 did.

Yep, another vote for the 991 PDK over the 997.2 PDK.
Nothing wrong with the older variant of 'box it's just that the 991, as said above, is quicker to change gear and smoother. Down changes are very good, with a blip thrown in for good measure if you like that sort if thing. Can't give a meaningful comment on auto mode simply because I never drive it that way, always in manual and always in sport.
One would have to assume that the 991.2 is better still and the 992 better than that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back