Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

I''ve decided to expand on the GT3C theme. Just for fun.

nigel99 said:
C11BRA said:
I kinda like the fact that it might fool 95% of the public.

This is a bit sad if you need to pretend to have something that you haven't. It's the same as wearing a fake rolex and thinking you're Johnny big balls when at the end of the day it's a £15 wrist watch.

Your car is a wonderful thing already, enjoy it as a 911, not a GT3.

When I say fool 95% of the public. I don't mean that I want them to believe that I (Johnny small balls) actually owns a GT3. I just think it looks right. And that 95% would believe that's how it left the factory. Hey. A nice looking car, is a nice looking car.

Like I said. I love the look of the 997.1 GT3 and if I wanted to, I could buy one. But right now, this seems a better option & wholeheartedly believe I will have a load more fun driving this than I would a real GT3. Not because it's as good (far from it). But because I will feel less conscious about the risk of driving a real GT3. This might not make sense to someone not in my financial position but that's how I feel. You might say, wait until you have sufficient disposable income to feel comfortable to put miles on a real GT3. Hey. Life's short. Why wait.

For reference. I wouldn't own a Rolex if I was too worried to wear it. However, I would wear a really nice watch (that made me smile, and might even be mistaken for an expensive watch) if it looked just as amazing & it brought me pleasure.

BTW. I can't stand Rolex's. Or Tags.

I agree with most people on here. It isn't a GT3 so it's currently a 'GT3 wish-it-was".

Lose the easy stuff like badge and centre caps. Obviously replacement clocks etc are gonna get expensive so just leave it.

The comment about only car people knowing the difference is interesting.
If the average joe doesn't know what a GT3 is they won't be interested anyway. If they do know then they'll know yours isn't real a one, which begs the question 'Who would you be trying to impress?"

As I said on your other thread though it's a stunning car and a great find, the previous owners inferiority complex has resulted in the sad addition of GT3 badges everywhere that's all.

Oh one last thing, by saying you could have bought the real thing but chose not to isn't a decent argument for leaving the badges on a lookalike. You don't get off the hook that easily. :hand:
It's like saying 'I could have bought a real Rolex but I can wear this fake without worrying". In that case wear a Casio. :grin:

Edited to add- I hadn't read Nigels post but I was obviously thinking along the same lines.
Also I think even a 964/993 RS lookalike generally gets a bit of stick if it wears the RS badge. If the vin doesn't state it is one then it isn't one.

crash7 said:
nigel99 said:
C11BRA said:

This is a bit sad if you need to pretend to have something that you haven't. It's the same as wearing a fake rolex and thinking you're Johnny big balls when at the end of the day it's a £15 wrist watch.

Your car is a wonderful thing already, enjoy it as a 911, not a GT3.

Your comment is the only sad thing :nooo: Your poor analogy does not work, as the car is a Porsche, not a MR2 with a GT3 kit.

Ignore the haters and their precious snowflake sensibilities, as already point out do what works for you!!

Nobody seems to have an issue with the hundreds of 964 RS homages out there, yet put a GT3 badge on a 996/997 Carrera and the small minded are up in arms!!

Very good point! Well said.

arthouse said:
I'm guessing you really liked how it looks now, and the way it looks played a big part in your decision to buy it?

If so, then you really should just have it how you want and not be bothered by what others think.
I honestly respect anyones opinion on their choices of car mods etc .. and it's a 911 at the end of the day, they're all great!

BUT :lol: since you're asking

If i was to make a Carrera more like a GT3, the last thing i'd do is put the badges/aero etc on, i'd be more interested in making it feel more like a GT3 by upgrading suspension, cutting weight where i could, better brakes etc. I don't understand why people just want to make people think their car is a GT3, but not actually improve the handling and feel of the car, to me, that's why you have a GT3, for the fun they are to drive, the looks are mostly just a bonus from the purposeful upgrades they have (big brakes, aero for more downforce etc).
I'd love to put carbon buckets in mine, remove the rear seats, improve the suspension, put a lightened flywheel in it and just keep the little 911 badge on the rear. I'd like to make it more of a kinda 964 RS inspired 997, stripped back Carrera, raw and just enhance how it is already.

How ever you get your enjoyment out of the car, go with that, at the end of the day

8)

See. I totally get that and love your idea.

I also love a wolf in sheep's clothing. I love a stripped back car, proper drivers car. I would love a stripped out race car for the road. But for me and my family, that just wouldn't work. (I hope you get the opportunity to do that to yours though)

We use our car for touring holidays, special days & date nights. I have young kids that love going in the back (the look on their faces when I had a mates GT4 for a few weeks! I was not popular). My wife would hate bucket seats and a stupid roll cage! So, I have to compromise. We had so much fun in the 7 years of owning our 996, why would I be so selfish as to buy a car that my kids can't share, and my wife won't enjoy. The kids love GT3's, my wife likes comfort due to lower back issues. Apart from the terrorist attack exhaust, this car is so bloody amazingly perfect it's ridiculous. And yes, I can drive the car very gently when the missus is in the car and by some kind of witchcraft the exhaust is virtually silent when up to speed. But under hard acceleration, the noise is incredible!!!! Makes the GT4 sound tame, seriously. And the GT4 owner has driven this. So I get a bonkers looking car, with a bonkers exhaust which I can modulate via the loud pedal. So when I'm out with my boys we go tunnel hunting, and when with the missus I go into fuel saving mode.

We call it the terrorist exhaust because I accidentally (on purpose, of course) blipped the engine outside my eldest sons workplace, just as the automatic sliding doors to the showroom opened. Apparently the receptionist thought it was a terrorist attack. We were the talk of the showroom all afternoon. Job done. (My youngest son made me do it! Guv).

I'm loving my new car. Counting down the minutes to Thursday when I'm taking it into work show my workmates. They ask me every day, when are we seeing your new car?

Everything about this car is magic.

crash7 said:
Nobody seems to have an issue with the hundreds of 964 RS homages out there, yet put a GT3 badge on a 996/997 Carrera and the small minded are up in arms!!

This is kinda my point though, the 964 RS homage cars are usually modified to make it drive more like an RS, by stripping it back/making it more raw and giving it a bit more power, it's not just a looks thing. People do have issues with them not being the real deal, but it's more about the drive.

Just a bit more difficult to achieve with a 997 to GT3! All we see are cars made to look like GT3's but don't actually spend any money on the things that really make a GT3 a GT3. That's the part that i don't really understand.

I do understand that people enjoy their cars for different reasons though, so if having the looks is what makes you happy, it's all good ..

8)

C11BRA said:
arthouse said:
I'm guessing you really liked how it looks now, and the way it looks played a big part in your decision to buy it?

If so, then you really should just have it how you want and not be bothered by what others think.
I honestly respect anyones opinion on their choices of car mods etc .. and it's a 911 at the end of the day, they're all great!

BUT :lol: since you're asking

If i was to make a Carrera more like a GT3, the last thing i'd do is put the badges/aero etc on, i'd be more interested in making it feel more like a GT3 by upgrading suspension, cutting weight where i could, better brakes etc. I don't understand why people just want to make people think their car is a GT3, but not actually improve the handling and feel of the car, to me, that's why you have a GT3, for the fun they are to drive, the looks are mostly just a bonus from the purposeful upgrades they have (big brakes, aero for more downforce etc).
I'd love to put carbon buckets in mine, remove the rear seats, improve the suspension, put a lightened flywheel in it and just keep the little 911 badge on the rear. I'd like to make it more of a kinda 964 RS inspired 997, stripped back Carrera, raw and just enhance how it is already.

How ever you get your enjoyment out of the car, go with that, at the end of the day

8)

See. I totally get that and love your idea.

I also love a wolf in sheep's clothing. I love a stripped back car, proper drivers car. I would love a stripped out race car for the road. But for me and my family, that just wouldn't work. (I hope you get the opportunity to do that to yours though)

We use our car for touring holidays, special days & date nights. I have young kids that love going in the back (the look on their faces when I had a mates GT4 for a few weeks! I was not popular). My wife would hate bucket seats and a stupid roll cage! So, I have to compromise. We had so much fun in the 7 years of owning our 996, why would I be so selfish as to buy a car that my kids can't share, and my wife won't enjoy. The kids love GT3's, my wife likes comfort due to lower back issues. Apart from the terrorist attack exhaust, this car is so bloody amazingly perfect it's ridiculous. And yes, I can drive the car very gently when the missus is in the car and by some kind of witchcraft the exhaust is virtually silent when up to speed. But under hard acceleration, the noise is incredible!!!! Makes the GT4 sound tame, seriously. And the GT4 owner has driven this. So I get a bonkers looking car, with a bonkers exhaust which I can modulate via the loud pedal. So when I'm out with my boys we go tunnel hunting, and when with the missus I go into fuel saving mode.

We call it the terrorist exhaust because I accidentally (on purpose, of course) blipped the engine outside my eldest sons workplace, just as the automatic sliding doors to the showroom opened. Apparently the receptionist thought it was a terrorist attack. We were the talk of the showroom all afternoon. Job done. (My youngest son made me do it! Guv).

I'm loving my new car. Counting down the minutes to Thursday when I'm taking it into work show my workmates. They ask me every day, when are we seeing your new car?

Everything about this car is magic.

What you're saying makes total sense mate, i hear you! This is also the reason the 911 is so good, getting the raw experience when you want it but still comfortable enough to take your wife and kids out in. Sounds and looks like you've come to a perfect compromise, enjoy 8)

Add a question mark to the badges. Give the watchers something different to talk about.

The car looks great with all the mods. You are not pretending it is a GT3. I would probably do the no cost items like removing the boot badge, but if you have GT3 wheels centres, then they justifiably say GT3.

isysman said:
Wow all the preachers here: 'remove anything that says GT3' 'it's an outrage, sacrilege, taking the name in vain, a travesty of a mockery of a shame...'

I think you all need to chill out, telling him to remove the dash because it dares says GT3. That's crazy, and as someone who has changed the dials in a dash, a lot of work and expensive.

Bottom line is this, if it makes you uncomfortable to have the badge On the rear then by all means remove it. I'd leave everything else, because it's expensive and difficult to replace sills etc (I know if done all of this). However if it makes YOU happy to have it there then leave it and enjoy. It's just a car and it's all about fun. Remember it's your car and it's only needs to make you happy. If anyone tells you to remove the badges just say 'when you buy it off me feel free to remove them'.

I have modified my 997 Turbo to exact GT2RS spec and yes it has the badges. I don't care what anyone else thinks about that because it's my car and it makes me happy. This is the closest to a 997 GT2RS I'll ever get and every time I remove the cover it makes me smile like the 10 year old me at Christmas. So furk everyone else.

:yeah:

No one has mentioned removing the replica wheels though :whistle:

:thumb:

isysman said:
Wow all the preachers here: 'remove anything that says GT3' 'it's an outrage, sacrilege, taking the name in vain, a travesty of a mockery of a shame...'

I think you all need to chill out, telling him to remove the dash because it dares says GT3. That's crazy, and as someone who has changed the dials in a dash, a lot of work and expensive.

Bottom line is this, if it makes you uncomfortable to have the badge On the rear then by all means remove it. I'd leave everything else, because it's expensive and difficult to replace sills etc (I know if done all of this). However if it makes YOU happy to have it there then leave it and enjoy. It's just a car and it's all about fun. Remember it's your car and it's only needs to make you happy. If anyone tells you to remove the badges just say 'when you buy it off me feel free to remove them'.

I have modified my 997 Turbo to exact GT2RS spec and yes it has the badges. I don't care what anyone else thinks about that because it's my car and it makes me happy. This is the closest to a 997 GT2RS I'll ever get and every time I remove the cover it makes me smile like the 10 year old me at Christmas. So furk everyone else.

The responses here have been pretty balanced. On ph however!

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&t=1828440&r=40562082&hm=509457&mid=509457#40562082

...don't change anything; tis yours...not mine or anyone else's...and if it matters I suspect 99%would not be able to discern it's provenance.

Enjoy it as is...spend the suggested debadge money on tunnel hunting fuel with your lads ....

if you had the money for a 997 GT3 then I would not hesitate to go out and get one of those!! you are never going to lose much on one of those whereas a normal Carrera will lose even with an aero kit. and you have a mezger engine

some folks have converted GT3 comforts to have seats and seat belts with the holders so you can enjoy it like a true tourer. if I had the money that is what I would do without question.

Strange thread, as you've obviously just bought this car so it's hard to work out why you've bought it if you want to change it?

But as you've asked for opinions - if it were me I would strip anything that says GT3 from it before daring to remove it from my garage. I used to be into VW's and can remember kids putting GTI badges on their 1.3 Golf CL's - it was painfully embarrassing to see, and if I'm being honest I think to turn a 911 into a GT3 replica is way worse, especially going to the lengths of changing the sills/dash etc, I can't fathom why anyone would you want to drive a Carrera with a GT3 dash?

Not for me, but it's your car, you obviously like it as you've just bought it!

It's your car OP do what makes you happy :thumb:

Robert SausageTrousers said:
Strange thread, as you've obviously just bought this car so it's hard to work out why you've bought it if you want to change it?

But as you've asked for opinions - if it were me I would strip anything that says GT3 from it before daring to remove it from my garage. I used to be into VW's and can remember kids putting GTI badges on their 1.3 Golf CL's - it was painfully embarrassing to see, and if I'm being honest I think to turn a 911 into a GT3 replica is way worse, especially going to the lengths of changing the sills/dash etc, I can't fathom why anyone would you want to drive a Carrera with a GT3 dash?

Not for me, but it's your car, you obviously like it as you've just bought it!

I'm with you. It's a bit painful to see a car dressed up like that. I want every Porsche to be the same as when it left the factory, no after market nonsense whatsoever. That's why I'm not a huge fan of backdating, such as the stuff Singer produce. They are nice to look at, but it's still wrong in my eyes. :finger:

C11BRA said:
Love all the responses. Some say remove all GT3 references, some say just the rear badge, some say do what you want. (Love the quote from isysman: 'when you buy it off me, feel free to remove them')

I'm going to think about it for a while. I'm torn.

I've calculated that of the 5% that can tell it's fake, 1% are jealous, 1% say do what you want, 1% think I have really small man parts, 1% think I should be shot and last 1% are Porsche brand purists (and I have a great deal of respect for purists).

Did anyone see my last car? The silver 996.1? I went completely against the grain with that car. LED lights at the rear, bespoke headlamps from F1 parts, A hybrid bumper 996/997T with LED lights and even non Porsche wheels. Even the genuine 996 Aero kit rear spoiler/wing was the 996.2 version! I was lucky not to have my really small man parts removed by a blunt blade and hung outside the factory gates.

So. Now I have a car that looks pretty much like my dream car, don't we think it will look a bit daft with Carrera on its bum?

There is no right or wrong answer it seems.

I read all of your last thread and was very impressed by the car and what you did to it, but this is something completely different, on your 996 you were being individual, doing mods that were unique. This is just a clone and it doesnt yet have any of your personal touch. Are you thinking of going down the same route as the 996 with this car, ie making it more individual with some one off ideas?

As far as wont it look a bit daft with a Carrera badge on it - it is a Carrera, just one with a largely pointless bodykit (personal opinion, they are ugly and spoil the lines).
If advertising what you actually drive (rather than currently advertising what you dont) troubles you to that extent, go with the '911' option on the rear?

Either way I look forward to reading what you do to it as your last thread was a great read :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back